SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I got a retired service sig p229 40 s&w im trying to remove the firing pin to replace the spring and give it a good cleaning but it doesn't have a roll pin like my other 229 its rounded on both sidesany tips or tricks to remove it ive gave it a half dozen good hits with a punch and no dice also could anyone clue me in why or what it stands for i have de on the barrel and the frame??? Not sure if its department markings or what

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,880 Posts
P229s have never had "roll pins" per se, what the current models use is a "coiled pin". The solid pin is actual 2 diameters, the larger having splines, you need a cup tip punch, but can use a 5/32" nail set punch as a "starter" punch. Drive it out from right to left, and install from left to right. Once "broken loose" from being set, it can be easily driven out with a common punch. Care must be taken to prevent "peening" the smaller ends head. Likely reason they went to the coiled style pin, as people were trying to drive them out the wrong way.
Space Office equipment

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Hello I got a retired service sig p229 40 s&w im trying to remove the firing pin to replace the spring and give it a good cleaning but it doesn't have a roll pin like my other 229 its rounded on both sidesany tips or tricks to remove it ive gave it a half dozen good hits with a punch and no dice also could anyone clue me in why or what it stands for i have de on the barrel and the frame??? Not sure if its department markings or what
If I remember right DE means it is a German Frame. My CPO German frame P229 has that on the frame. That also might be why the pin is different.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Your P229 has the original style firing pin positioning pin (FPPP) used on stainless slides. New guns use a spiral roll pin. Willard gave you directions for removal and installation. It's best to use a 3mm cupped punch. Here's pics of the various pins used by SIG. Your gun has the far right pin.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
could anyone clue me in why or what it stands for i have de on the barrel and the frame??? Not sure if its department markings or what
SIG Germany starting marking all major gun components with DE to signify they were made in Germany, with DE standing for Deutschland. This DE marking started around 2009 or so.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
^^^^

It would have came with that pin from the factory. If it's been to SIG for any work, it could have the middle pin. The middle pin is what SIG currently uses for all repair/maintenance work, and new production on short extractor slides.

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Not to hijack, but my 2008 model would have the pin on the far right, in bblr's picture?
Here's my newer production (Legionized) P229 Enhanced Elite with the middle pin:

Here's my 2007 P229R with the far right pin:

Here's a newer production P239 Tactical with the middle pin:

·
12,880 Posts
Not to hijack, but my 2008 model would have the pin on the far right, in bblr's picture?
If it's a solid pin, then it would look like that, not sure when they "changed". There were 2 sizes/diameters, one for the early P229 9mm, and P239 9mm (smaller), then the other (larger), for the rest!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey folks thanks for all the wonderful help looks like ill need to get a cupped punch and soak that bad boy in some Kroil oil and give it a good cleaning and replace the spring

·
12,880 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts