SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I rescued this rail-less, 9mm gem from my local gun shop a month or so ago. Impulse buy. Wasn’t looking for a P229 at all. Was perfectly content living a single-stack Sig life, with my P239s, P6 and P245.

Hand Revolver Air gun Trigger Finger

But damn. This thing is fun to shoot. That hefty slide handles 9mm like a dream. I’d had a P229 in .357 SIG. Cool gun. But… man, the power to weight ratio with the 9mm is really in your favor. The thing eats 9mm like ballistic candy.
Sky Cloud Automotive design Gas Gun barrel

Air gun Grey Material property Shotgun Gun accessory

It’s got a little patina, but I dig the “been there done that” look.

Anyhow… here’s my writeup and the link to the YouTube review: OG Sig P229 Review (in 9mm): Worth the Girth — Hipster Tactical ™

One thing I’ll mention…

I did my best to cover the variations in slide design/dimensions between calibers and generations. But man—the nuances can make your head spin. Hopefully I got it right. One measurement I could not find anywhere was the width of the post-2009 (I.e., long extractor) .40 / .357 P229 slides. I’ve read some posts that seem to suggest those are wider than the current 9mm P229 slides (I.e., P229-1s) but I’m not 100% sure. In any case, let me know if you think I missed anything… else.

I’m sure a lot of you guys already know this stuff—but I figured it might be a nice to kinda have it all in one place.

I’ve got a few other guns I wanna feature after this, but the next Sig I plan to share is the P245. Always one of my favorites.

Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Great gun! Regarding slide dimensions, P229 Legacy slides are all the same on the outside. Legacy referring to P229 slides with the short extractor and half-height serrations (i.e. the category your gun falls into). So every slide that looks like yours is the same width, regardless of caliber. The 9mm slides are just more hollowed-out on the inside to reduce weight.

The new P229 slides (with the long-extractor and full-height serrations) are a little different. The 40/357 slide is about the same width as the old Legacy slides. The 9mm slide (P229-1 and M11-A1) is a little narrower than the Legacy slides and more closely resembles the dimensions of the original P228 folded slide.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Tiger, FWIW I bought a new .40 S&W 229 soon after they were introduced. Later, when the 229 became available in 9mm, I bought one of those too. The slide on the .40 was slightly taller and wider than my 9mm slide. I measured the precise difference, but can no longer recall the exact numbers. I weighed the slides and, to the best of my recollection, the .40 slide weighed somewhere around 11/2-2oz. more than my 9mm slide. In any case, I still like the 9mm 229s, with what is now called the "Legacy" type slides, and have a couple.
Photograph White Light Green Air gun

·
Registered
563 Posts
Tiger, FWIW I bought a new .40 S&W 229 soon after they were introduced. Later, when the 229 became available in 9mm, I bought one of those too. The slide on the .40 was slightly taller and wider than my 9mm slide. I measured the precise difference, but can no longer recall the exact numbers. I weighed the slides and, to the best of my recollection, the .40 slide weighed somewhere around 11/2-2oz. more than my 9mm slide. In any case, I still like the 9mm 229s, with what is now called the "Legacy" type slides, and have a couple.
View attachment 478649
Nice! Yeah, I only just visually inspected them side by side. I never measured them. They looked the same to me and then I read a post here by someone who claimed to have measured them to be the same. Who knows? Maybe he got it wrong or maybe something even changed a little over the years.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice! Yeah, I only just visually inspected them side by side. I never measured them. They looked the same to me and then I read a post here by someone who claimed to have measured them to be the same. Who knows? Maybe he got it wrong or maybe something even changed a little over the years.
Yeah, I’m gauging this from visually comparing my legacy 9mm to pictures… but… the slide definitely appears to come up higher over the barrel hood on .40s/.357s (legacy). That’s not a huge surprise, because the P239s are the same way (the .40s/.357 P239s have higher slides than 9mms—though not wider).

Based on measurements I’ve found on the net, the overall slide width appears to be the same on legacy 9s and 40s/357s… however… I think the legacy 9s are thinner above the “reinforcing band.” Looking at pics, the extractor on the legacy .40s/.357s appears to be set a little deeper into the slide vs. the 9s… which would suggest the top part of the slide is a little wider on the .40/.357s. Also, the step inward from the reinforcing band seems a little shallower on the .40s/.357s. Maybe?

Again, this is largely just based on visually comparing pics to my 9mm… so, not exactly scientific. Clearly I need calipers. And more guns to compare 😁

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new P229 slides (with the long-extractor and full-height serrations) are a little different. The 40/357 slide is about the same width as the old Legacy slides. The 9mm slide (P229-1 and M11-A1) is a little narrower than the Legacy slides and more closely resembles the dimensions of the original P228 folded slide.
Nice! Thanks. That was pretty much my conclusion as well (regarding the newer P229s) based on what I was able to find.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,659 Posts
If you are talking the "long Extractor" slides, be advised the .357 Sig/.40 S&W Slide is wider than the 9mm, and the prime reason the P229 SAO, is relegated to being a 9mm without machining either the manual Safety Levers, or narrowing the width at the bottom of the .357/.40 Slide.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Legacy slide measurements in this thread: P229 slide widths
The .40 slide is 0.5 mm taller and 1.4 mm wider (on top) but has same width at the bottom as the 9.

- Height: 25.1 mm for .40 and 24.6 mm for 9.

- Width at top: 25.4 mm for .40, and 24.0 mm for 9.

- Width at bottom: same @ (28.4 mm // 28.5 mm) for both .40 and 9.
Awesome! Thank you so much for that info. That's exactly what I was looking for... and it seems to confirm what I was thinking: the legacy .40s/.357s are wider at the top, but the same at the bottom.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are talking the "long Extractor" slides, be advised the .357 Sig/.40 S&W Slide is wider than the 9mm, and the prime reason the P229 SAO, is relegated to being a 9mm without machining either the manual Safety Levers, or narrowing the width at the bottom of the .357/.40 Slide.
That's interesting. Yeah, my suspicion was that the long-extractor models had wider slides than the 9mms. But this confirms it. Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice rescue. I like railless frame too.

Reactions: MattyD380

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can NEVER have too many .357 Sig caliber'd pistols ;) and who said anything about 'need' ??
heheheh good read, was fun and informative
Haha. You’re right. Truth be told, I kinda miss that gun. But… I still think the P239 is a hoot in .357 SIG. Very accurate, too. I actually shot an IDPA match with my .357 P239 during Covid when .357 SIG was the only ammo I had.I didn’t do half bad.

Anyway… thank you so much reading!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Watched the vid. Nice channel I too like 'older' metal models.
Do you ever take down your purchases and/or have a gunsmith look them over before shooting them for anything more than just a casual first few rounds? Given I never know the history of older used firearms I always visually inspect them, make sure they look okay, fire a few rounds to ensure that they are working, then completely tear them down for a more thourough inspection, deep clean and parts replacement -- at least the springs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you ever take down your purchases and/or have a gunsmith look them over before shooting them for anything more than just a casual first few rounds? Given I never know the history of older used firearms I always visually inspect them, make sure they look okay, fire a few rounds to ensure that they are working, then completely tear them down for a more thourough inspection, deep clean and parts replacement -- at least the springs.
Good question. I generally try to avoid buying guns that seem like they might have issues. Obviously you’re kind of at the mercy of pictures if you’re buying off Gunbroker, etc…. but, I do my best to looks for any red flags.

Like you, I inspect the pistol once I get it. Haven’t really seen any major red flags in any of the used guns I’ve bought over the years? I mean, no bulged barrels or cracked frames. I find the first few hundred rounds usually tell you whether a gun has issues. For instance, I had a beretta that had a broken extractor spring. Same on an old Smith 39-2.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,659 Posts
In the days of old, when Sig had "Parts Kits" available for around $24, they were installed in every used Sig that I bought. That would insure no "disasters" in the first few rounds, while possible minor malfunctions could be dealt with safely. In most cases, even when dealing with used LE weapons, proper care wasn't always guaranteed, so replacing critical parts before use a smart move.

Even something as simple as the old braided Recoil Springs installed reversed, before the painted ends were used, could be cught and rectified, but when the round count is in doubt, try to start with a known point of reference. Same with Magazines, and their springs installed backwards, or even upside down. Attention to details, but requiring you to know the details is an important point as well... places like Sig Talk can provide those details, if you simply look for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts