SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I have to ask, why would someone ask?

Here in NC you are legally bound to identify that you are armed if you have an encounter with LE. Other than that it would depend on who's asking and why. My friends who know that I carry don't have to ask because they already know the answer.

Reactions: Mike55 and mrerick

·
Registered
924 Posts
Those that know me well know that I’m always armed where legally allowed to carry. No body else needs to know or would ever ask. I also live in a state where I do not have to notify LE of being armed. If I was ever stopped/pulled over I would however give the office my DL and CCW card at the same time. My guess is when/if I was ever pulled over they would see it on their computer anyway when running my plates. But I don’t know that for sure.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
When asked by law enforcement I will answer honestly. For others it would be none of their business.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you armed ?

Yup... both left and right! Legs too... A true quadruped.

I probably would not tell someone it was none of their business. That's a cue...

"Why would you ask that?" is probably more important. It's always possible that someone with situational awareness saw something that you didn't, and you may need to defend yourself.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
No one would ask that around here ... every one just assumes that every one is carrying. Or the person they're with is ... street crime is pretty low around here. It seems only the black neighborhood drug deals involve shootings. Not a judgement on my part ... just the way it is.

Reactions: Jay.Dubya

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Whatever98 With 33 years of CC and never been asked if I was armed . If you have been asked that question your ability to CC needs improvement .

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
If I'm stopped by LEO I always present my LTC with my driver's license. Every time the officer has asked if I'm armed and where the weapon is. Then I'm instructed not to reach for it for any reason during the stop; I comply. Once a long time ago I was stopped for speeding by DPS just north of a small rural town in Central Texas. It was a Saturday about 10:00 pm and there were two officers working together. I was asked where my gun was. It was in the front passenger seat under a hunting magazine. I told the Trooper that and he askes to see it. I said yes and he said he will get it. He took my revolver back to his patrol car and I assume ran a check on the serial number. After a few minutes went by he brought my gun back and placed the magazine back over it. He thanked me for cooperation and issued me a Written Warning for speeding .Over time I've been pulled over four times since I've had my CCL and not ben issued a citation, just warnings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I'm stopped by LEO I always present my LTC with my driver's license. Every time the officer has asked if I'm armed and where the weapon is. Then I'm instructed not to reach for it for any reason during the stop; I comply. Once a long time ago I was stopped for speeding by DPS just north of a small rural town in Central Texas. It was a Saturday about 10:00 pm and there were two officers working together. I was asked where my gun was. It was in the front passenger seat under a hunting magazine. I told the Trooper that and he askes to see it. I said yes and he said he will get it. He took my revolver back to his patrol car and I assume ran a check on the serial number. After a few minutes went by he brought my gun back and placed the magazine back over it. He thanked me for cooperation and issued me a Written Warning for speeding .Over time I've been pulled over four times since I've had my CCL and not ben issued a citation, just warnings.
Same experience. Just be respectful and honest and most of the time the law enforcement officer will give you a warning.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Similar experience the one time I was stopped by and LEO in TX. For others, the smartass in me would likely reply something like "I have had two arms as long as I can remember, and I am particularly attached to them, and they go with me everywhere! (Here's your sign . . .)"

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You All
My method of concealment has never been in question... sorry.
I was asked because the person saw my credentials in my wallet when I was taking money out to pay.....

Thanks Again

·
Registered
373 Posts
Same experience. Just be respectful and honest and most of the time the law enforcement officer will give you a warning.

My experience here in Texas is that State Troopers (Highway Patrol) are more likely to give warnings ............... local police, not so much. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually originally got my CHL before I ever owned a gun, specifically because I had 2 or 3 friends that got out of traffic tickets after showing their CHL. I guess it shows the LEO that you’ve been thoroughly background checked and they tend to be more lenient. Of course, after getting speeding tickets about once per year, in the 7 years I’ve had a CHL I haven’t been pulled over once!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts