SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing solid firing pin positioning pin with new style roll pin on P220 & P226?

Hi guys, I have a couple P220s and 226s that have short extractor/solid firing pin positioning pins in the slides. I can't even find part numbers to order spare solid pins, but I've heard that the newer "snail" type roll pins will work to replace solid pins. Any truth to that?

A nice lady in Sig CS told me know, but I've heard more than once that it's not only possible, but that the snail roll pins are preferred?

Also, would the 220 and 226 take the same pin, if so?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that! How about using the roll pins in place of solid? Having heard of solid pins breaking from excessive dry firing, I'd love to do so if possible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
From my experience, I believe the solid pins I've seen in guns are found in the stainless steel slides. Do both of your guns have stainless steel slides?

That said, I bought a CPO P229 once with a stainless steel slide, and it had the coiled pin in it vice the solid pin.

I've stripped several for maintenance for my department, and have always replaced solid pins with solid pins, and roll pins with roll pins. The spring kits come with both, so I just used what I need to match what was in the guns.

Maybe the CPO gun I mentioned had a new slide when it was rebuilt. Maybe once you put a solid pin in the slide, the splines on the pin alter the hole enough the coiled pins won't work. I don't know for certain, and am just thinking 'out loud'.

As for the pin for the P220 vs the P226. From the parts list I have from Sig, it shows the coiled pin for the P220 as part number PIN-6, and the one for the P226 as PIN-11. I find no information for the solid pin either. But it appears the pins are not the same between those models.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I believe (don't know it for fact) that slides fitted with solid pins have a larger hole drilled on the left side vs the right side hole; something like 3.2mm/3mm. If you install a roll pin in these slides, the right side will fit tighter than the left side and the pin will have a tendency to walk out with use.

Again, don't know this to be fact. JMHO based on reading reports here on ST.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
ThnkFrst is correct, the solid pin is dual diameter, as one end is "splined" and slightly larger. See accompanied photos.

If the slides "Bore" is oversize on one side to the "spiral pins" diameter it "should be evident. I believe we have had members complain about the spiral pins backing out also, when used where solid pins were used originally.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,501 Posts
How about using the roll pins in place of solid? Having heard of solid pins breaking from excessive dry firing, I'd love to do so if possible.
This is what SIG does now. I do not believe they do anything to the hole in the slide. With that said, I prefer to use the original FPPP's

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Out of curiosity, I wanted to determine the diameter of the solid FPPP hole. With my set of pin gages, I am able to measure two distinct diameters:

The hole on the right side measures .118"
The hole on the left side measures .125"

With this discovery, I will continue replacing my solid pins with solid pins, single roll pins with single roll pins and dual roll pins with dual roll pins. YMMV.

Also, would the 220 and 226 take the same pin, if so?
Yes, the P220 and P226 use the same pins.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
With this discovery, I will continue replacing my solid pins with solid pins, single roll pins with single roll pins and dual roll pins with dual roll pins. YMMV.
I would expect nothing less from you MC!

"Do it right or don't do it at all." ~My Dad~

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,619 Posts
Malicious Compliance, it would be interesting to view the "larger of the 2 holes", to see under magnification, if there are "splines" etched into the slides metal, from the solid pin, if it happens to be "harder" than the slide. Whether this is to prevent "turning" or to create more "surface tension" to prevent the pin from "walking".

·
Registered
841 Posts
Folks: I am about to take my SIG P226 solid pin out. From this thread I would surmise that I:

1. Use a 3mm CUP punch from Brownells.

2. Drive it out from the right side.

Should I get the SMALL punch from Brownells and then use a straight punch once started?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19,501 Posts
I have two 3mm cupped punches—short and long. I start with the short, then drive it out all the way with the long. I suppose a normal flat punch would work in place of the long cupped punch.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have two 3mm cupped punches—short and long. I start with the short, then drive it out all the way with the long. I suppose a normal flat punch would work in place of the long cupped punch.

Thank you sir! But from the right to the left - correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts