SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I acquired a P226 Dark Elite 9mm. I want to replace the (nearly dead) adjustable night sights but I have read elsewhere the rear dovetail is cut differently than other Classic pistols, and the front sight is higher than the fixed-sight P226.

Has anyone changed out these sights to new fixed night sights and if so what worked?

Adjustable feature is not a big deal for me and I’m pretty sure an OEM replacement for the factory adjustable rear is long-discontinued.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,544 Posts
Thanks... I looked at those last night, but not a fan of fiber optic sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might try contacting them, as they also manufacture Tritium sights, see if they can make you a tritium set. They may make you a rear, and a plain front, to be able to get yourself, their "Zero Guarantee", estimate for the tritium front.

It would be interesting to know the dovetail width, of the adjustable rear sight, along with it's depth.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please keep us posted, there are guys like me lurking and interested in finding out what happens with your adventure.
Will do; I initially thought about trying to reach out to a manufacturer and see if I could just have the darn sites re-lamped (new tritium inserts) but I don’t know of anybody that does that.

It would keep the gun in its original configuration.

Always disliked adjustable sights on a gun I might have to carry someday; they’re generally not as rugged as fixed sights on most pistols but the Dark Elite rear seems pretty hefty/well-protected.

·
12,544 Posts
Will do; I initially thought about trying to reach out to a manufacturer and see if I could just have the darn sites re-lamped (new tritium inserts) but I don’t know of anybody that does that.

It would keep the gun in its original configuration.

Always disliked adjustable sights on a gun I might have to carry someday; they’re generally not as rugged as fixed sights on most pistols but the Dark Elite rear seems pretty hefty/well-protected.

Unless they were originally lamped by "Trijicon", I don't know anyone else that "re-lamps" tritium sights. If you can remove the rear sight, and measure the width of the base of the dovetail, it might help find an alternative. Depending on how much "wider", it may be possible to shim, a standard Sig rear sight, to fit. The width, and depth of the dovetail would be helpful, otherwise nothing to go on!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unless they were originally lamped by "Trijicon", I don't know anyone else that "re-lamps" tritium sights. If you can remove the rear sight, and measure the width of the base of the dovetail, it might help find an alternative. Depending on how much "wider", it may be possible to shim, a standard Sig rear sight, to fit. The width, and depth of the dovetail would be helpful, otherwise nothing to go on!
ToolTech will re-lamp them.

·
12,544 Posts
ToolTech will re-lamp them.
Only if originally lamped with Trijicon inserts, the MMC Adjustable rear sights, are a different "animal", and unsure who actually installed the tritium vials. Each manufacture normally uses different sized vials.

I've never had the opportunity to examine one in person, only by photos,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Responses so far:

GrayGuns - “We had one at one point, however, we've been out of those for years. Unfortunately, we don't have an option for that.”

Dawson Precision - “We have fixed night sights ;
p/n 018-491 rear; $69.95
p/n 021-283 front; $49.00
...3-4 weeks lead-time.”

·
12,544 Posts
Responses so far:

GrayGuns - “We had one at one point, however, we've been out of those for years. Unfortunately, we don't have an option for that.”

Dawson Precision - “We have fixed night sights ;
p/n 018-491 rear; $69.95
p/n 021-283 front; $49.00
...3-4 weeks lead-time.”

At least you have one option! When you have exhausted all avenues, if you would, post your solution in the thread "Dealing With Sights" in the Gunsmithing "Sticky" section, to hopefully help the next soul!

Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to dig up these old bones, but I recently purchased a 229 Dark Elite from a fellow SigTalker and I'm looking at options for sights as he disclosed the rear sight is loose. From what I've read this is not uncommon. I'm sure the lamps are dead too. Always had good luck with Dawson so I'm hoping the part numbers referenced above still exist. They didn't come up on their website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts