SIG Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well that was easy:

Tried the 2022, the hammer decocker wasn't. At least not without having two men and a boy to manipulate it. The guy behind the counter had to go ask if that what the control was for. The grip didn't feel good, wasn't feeling it. Next.

Handled the Glock 17X - a very solid Meh. Next.

Got handed a Sig P229 - end of discussion. :D Talked to the Pendergrass guy and he was more than happy to accept a Bud's Gun Shop order and then process the FFL paperwork.

Got home and had the M11A1-D in Desert color on order in about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Well that was easy:

Tried the 2022, the hammer decocker wasn't. At least not without having two men and a boy to manipulate it. The guy behind the counter had to go ask if that what the control was for. The grip didn't feel good, wasn't feeling it. Next.

Handled the Glock 17X - a very solid Meh. Next.

Got handed a Sig P229 - end of discussion. :D Talked to the Pendergrass guy and he was more than happy to accept a Bud's Gun Shop order and then process the FFL paperwork.

Got home and had the M11A1-D in Desert color on order in about 5 minutes.
Pics when you get your new FDE M11a1!

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
The superior German-made firearm is the Walther P99. If you don't like double action the PPQ is a fine substitute.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Convert G23 to G19

I would just convert the G23 to a G19.

If memory serves me correctly, swap the 40 S&W barrel, extractor, ejector, and barrel with their 9 mm parts. The barrel would be the most expensive part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like you already made your choice by going away from Glocks. Not sure if I’m unbiased, as I consider myself a glock guy, but I’d go with the non X G19. Same size as the 23. I personally don’t understand the longer grip for CCW on the X. I was going to buy one last month but my friend bought the last one right in front of me during aN end of year Clearance sale. (Thing was I gave him my lower numbered deli style ticket so he could go 1st) Anyway it’s not like I don’t like Sigs , as I have 6, just prefer to carry glocks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had this G23 since the early 90's, used to shoot IPSC and bowling ball matches with it. It's my primary CCW sidearm (I mostly OC a Sig P226, S&W SC1911SC or S&W 329PD). But I'm done with the .40 S&W and I want to sell it and get a replacement in 9mm.

The two leading contenders:

Sig M11A1-D or the Glock 19X (also in desert tan).

This new gun needs to be a CCW/Concealable gun, so I'm a little concerned with the 17-type frame on the G19X. But I have big hands, so that same frame is appealing for that reason.

I'd ask this question over on Glocktalk, but after +week, they haven't seen fit to approve my membership, so I *assume* they're not interested.

I'm leaning towards the Sig but for the following: Cost (almost double), will have to replace holsters and cost of additional mags.

Any other comments, suggestions etc?

Fun!

I see you settled on the M11-A1. Can't go wrong there.

I just sold one of my FDE M11-A1 pistols - making room for a new replacement in Nitron. the serial number of my old one is within 1500 of the one pictured... mine was Dec 2013 manufactured date. The older ones the cerakote covered the entire frame, which made some small parts hard to fit - like the hammer and sear pivot pins (I had to get a hammer and punch to force out that sear pivot - it was in there really tight). Never had a problem with the slides being tight though.

newer ones the rails and higher are masked off, so they won't be sprayed and will be just the black dye over the anodizing.

The 19x isn't a bad choice. I replaced my glock 19 guns with 19x ones... never had a problem concealing the grip on a 17 sized handgun, it's just the longer slide was sometimes a bit long if sitting down and OWB or if its IWB could be a bit annoying (26 is obviously a better choice there). In some packs, the slightly shorter slide was nice for positioning the firearm, but the shorter grip wasn't needed... plus, it's a little easier for me to establish a grip on the 19x than a 19 (and I hated the finger bumps on the gen4 guns, never got around to sanding them down). The balance of the 19x I like better (some of the internal improvements of the Gen5 weren't available when the 19x was originally out - now they all have those bits and pieces).

I suppose a Glock 45... If you really don't like the coyote, must have the front serrations, prefer a flared magazine well, want the nDLC vs nPVD finish (not base metal treatment, just the finish), want to use Gen5 magazines and don't need the little toe on the front of the 19x grip, don't need the maritime striker cups, don't need the night sights standard, don't care about the glock extended magazine release as standard (the other internal differences that used to exist between the 19x and early gen5 guns are now all the same as the 19x).

I found the M11-A1 has roughly the same slide dimensions when holstered, the length of the grip with magazine is somewhere between the 19 and a 17.... the angle of the grip on a 19x makes the top edge of the end of the grip ride a tiny bit higher when holstered... but, in general, if I can conceal a M11-A1, I can conceal a 19x (it's a wash there).

basic leather holsters fit both equally... even the leather molded ones for the 19/19x you can get the M11-A1 into comfortably and have no problems with retention (no rail and no horn on the trigger guard, plus the trigger guard is narrower than a glock - the other part of the front of the frame is close enough to a glock 19 that it fits surprisingly well). Kydex might be an issue, I haven't tried those.

Basically, if you were comfortable with carrying a glock 23 in a holster, the m11-a1 in a holster will feel much the same, just some added weight and possibly a slightly thicker grip (depending on what you use - the provided 228 grips are narrower, anything else will be a bit wider, but the ease of concealment and feel are similar enough). The glock I forget I'm wearing (lighter, slide and frame a tiny bit narrower, carried glocks a lot in the past, but the end of the 2x4 plank of wood grip will remind me)... the M11-A1 the weight I always know is there, with the 228 grips though, very comfortable... G10 grips it reminds me it's there (and the checkered ones like to snag cotton shirts, haven't tried smooth ones yet). For carry, I'll use the 228 grips... don't prefer the feel of them when shooting, but for carrying I like them better than any of the G10 grips I have.

I really like the M11-A1 in the line of the newer 229-1 framed guns. Just the little bit of metal not present in removing the rail and shortening the frame a tiny bit makes the gun feel different. Stock sights are setup as 6 front 8 rear (works for me).

Here are some comparison pics (empty magazines inserted for size comparison).. sights are close enough to the same height, so sizing from top of the slide to bottom of the trigger guard, or top of the slide to bottom of the grip (if comparing for conceal carry). G10 hogue grips installed are a bit thicker than stock 228 grips, but are popular so those are on for the comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
MS, thanks for in-depth review and pics, I appreciate it!

[insert beer icon here]
Congrats! I would have suggested looking at the P320. They are my current firearm of preference. I'm not a Glock hater, I have one on my hip as I type this, I just prefer SIGs.

The M11A1 is without a doubt, the greatest handgun ever created. It's the pinnacle of a 9mm combat sidearm. I know that sounds like fanboy praise, but I can assure you, I've owned or tried just about everything out there, including numerous Classic and modern SIGs. The M11A1 is the perfect balance of size, weight, capacity, ergonomics, accuracy, reliability, durability, and feel.

I will say, I think the P229 series are made infinitely better with the E2 grip, so I personally have that on my M11A1. The M11A1 was my CCW of choice for three years, I never left home without it. It has even been in the Capitol Building. I recently moved to the P320, for weight alone.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I carried Glocks for quite a while during my career, mainly because I was required to. While in the Air Program, I carried a personally-owned G22 with a G27 as my BUG by choice when they rescinded authorization for SA autos (1911s). Later on, while in OI, we were required to carry the G19 and G26. I went with Glocks because they were cheap, reliable, and no big loss if you lost one overboard, whether over water or desert. One was just like the next (not so with 1911s). Spending over $600, let alone $800-$1,000 on a Glock clone is ridiculous, IMHO akin to making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I see that you have dallied with the P365. Have you handled the P365XL? They (the P365XL & P365) took the place of my G19 and G26. and I carry 2 15-rd. magazines for spares. Otherwise, go with the M11a1. Heck, I carry P220s and P226s AIWB or Conventional IWB with no problem, and I am 6', 205 lbs.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I've had six different Glocks in the past. They were all great, but I prefer the Sig M11A1 any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
12,302 Posts
Yes you'll be served just fine with either. Only thing I'd say is hold on to the .40 for bowling pins.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts