SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this G23 since the early 90's, used to shoot IPSC and bowling ball matches with it. It's my primary CCW sidearm (I mostly OC a Sig P226, S&W SC1911SC or S&W 329PD). But I'm done with the .40 S&W and I want to sell it and get a replacement in 9mm.

The two leading contenders:

Sig M11A1-D or the Glock 19X (also in desert tan).

This new gun needs to be a CCW/Concealable gun, so I'm a little concerned with the 17-type frame on the G19X. But I have big hands, so that same frame is appealing for that reason.

I'd ask this question over on Glocktalk, but after +week, they haven't seen fit to approve my membership, so I *assume* they're not interested.

I'm leaning towards the Sig but for the following: Cost (almost double), will have to replace holsters and cost of additional mags.

Any other comments, suggestions etc?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
FTG - M11-A1 is an awesome firearm. I carry it often. If you want to stick with a Glock platform I would look at the Shadow Systems MR918. In have a number of friends that have put their Glock 19’s in the safe and replaced them with the MR 918. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The m11-a1, the Sig p320-m18, or some other variant of the p320 Carry/X Carry.

The m11a1 is one of the finest, best balanced 9mm pistols ever, it's hammer fired so it's restrike capable on a bad primer, the triggers are very good and arguably a little safer in SA mode for CC than a striker pistol. A superb pistol.

P320 vs g19x: the Sig p320 based pistols can be bought with or without a manual ambidextrous safety, m18 and X-models come optics ready and are no more expensive than the g19x, ambi slide catch, more functional beavertail, better ergonomics, better trigger, modular platform, more natural grip angle like the m11-a1, milspec Pic rail, the trigger doesn't need to be pulled for field stripping.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I love my M11-A1 but for CCW and considering your experience with the 23 I'd lean towards a standard Glock 19. With that said the Walther PPQ and the HK VP9 are worth checking out, they can be had for less than both of the 2 mention.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The M11-A1 is a nice gun. I have a P229R, and wish mine was rail-less from time to time. And I carry mine.

As for the polymer route, Glock is towards the bottom of my list. A lot of better choices out there. VP9SK is on my short list. Kind of waiting to see if that gun gets the VP9 2020 upgrades HK announced at SHOT. The 320 looks good too. The ability to change the configuration of the gun is a nice bonus. I wish Beretta would offer the exchange kits for the APX. Open that system up. Walther is the hidden gems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you factor in the cost necessary to customize the glock so that it's ....better? Sights at the very least....

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Tough call.

I have a 19x and it is impressive. I think it's the best Glock ever.

My opinion is you are proficient with the Glock. You have some relearning to do if you switch designs. That's not a commentary on the Sig. The M11 is excellent. Just a very different firearm.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just buy a Glock 19 upper, change the ejector, but a few Glock 19 mags and you are good to go.

You could probably go even cheaper and find a reliable conversion barrel. A KKM would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Was looking at the 19X myself, but went with the Glock 45 with Ameriglo Bold night sights and it has quickly become not only my favorite Glock, but one of my favorite pistols overall. And I don’t say that lightly after coming from almost thirty years of carrying Berettas, CZ’s, and the occasional Sig (to include a pair of 320’s and the 365).

Has been flawless since getting it and initially cleaning it, digesting now almost 2k rounds of mixed ammo between top of the line defense ammo (HST, Gold Dot, and Ranger T) down to the cheapest Tula steel case FMJ. It shoots great and just feels right in my hands.

If you’re used to the 23 more than the others, I’d say stick with what you know, unless of course you’re just wanting something different. I’m a short fella at 5’7”, and have no issues concealing the G45 IWB (though for appendix my Gen 5 26 gets the nod).

·
Registered
493 Posts
I love SIG, no doubt there.

However given your many years of experience on the Glock platform Id have to recommend the Glock 19x.

Would it be my first choice, no but only time can replace your years of experience on the Glock 23 (which I owned an loved) and since we are talking something you plan to use to defend your life.......Sticking to what you know best is, in my opinion, the smart move.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[snip]

If you’re used to the 23 more than the others, I’d say stick with what you know, unless of course you’re just wanting something different. I’m a short fella at 5’7”, and have no issues concealing the G45 IWB (though for appendix my Gen 5 26 gets the nod).
I love SIG, no doubt there.

However given your many years of experience on the Glock platform Id have to recommend the Glock 19x.

Would it be my first choice, no but only time can replace your years of experience on the Glock 23 (which I owned an loved) and since we are talking something you plan to use to defend your life.......Sticking to what you know best is, in my opinion, the smart move.
You might have missed the part about OCing my Sig P226. I've owned that one since 1988 or so. Used to use it in IPSC/IDPA/BB matches as well. The only reason I don't CCW the Sig is that it's a bit too big so I OC it normally.

When Sig designed the P226, they used my hands to design the grip - it feels that good. I'm hoping the M11A1 will be the same.

I'm done with the 23 and it's .40, so no conversion, just not interested in that mess.

I'm going to visit a couple gun shops* this morning, see if they have any P229s/M11s to try out. I'll also check on whether or not they will take FFL transfers from Bud's; my favorite FFL closed his doors a couple years ago.

* Larry's Pistol and Pawn, Rural King (Huntsville AL), Pendergrass Supply (Fayetteville, TN).

Thanks,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nope caught that part, as I used to carry the full-size Beretta 92 (and 96 Centurion). Just that nowadays I carry IWB exclusively and appreciate the lighter weight for sure.

Ain’t nothing wrong with classic metal frames at all!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just out of curiosity, did you factor in the cost necessary to customize the glock so that it's ....better? Sights at the very least....
No, but mostly because I'm also pretty sure I'm done with Glocks.

You know how you have some guns that if someone wanted to buy it or you lost it and you're like "meh"? And then you have some guns that are like "over my dead body"? My Glock is like the former; my Sig is like the latter.

My P226 has always talked to me; my Glock is just a couple lbs of plastic and steel. It's hard to explain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No, but mostly because I'm also pretty sure I'm done with Glocks.

You know how you have some guns that if someone wanted to buy it or you lost it and you're like "meh"? And then you have some guns that are like "over my dead body"? My Glock is like the former; my Sig is like the latter.

My P226 has always talked to me; my Glock is just a couple lbs of plastic and steel. It's hard to explain.
That's fair, and I happen to feel the same way myself. And, I think you've answered your own question ;)

As I've gotten older, I've made it a priority to buy quality things. Spending more may mean I have to wait/save longer, but it's worth it to me to have real pride of ownership in a quality item that will last a long time. As a result, I tend to buy fewer things nowadays, which is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
12,302 Posts
You could also consider converting your G23 to 9mm, unless you just want a different feeling gun.

Reactions: Cyanide971
1 - 20 of 34 Posts