SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum but have spent the last few hours reading way too many posts which are very informative. Good to see an active community. I'm looking for an EDC pistol and looking at the usual suspects: G43, Shield, Walther PPS, and Sig P938 to name the top contenders. I love the size of the Sig for concealed carry, how well balanced the gun is, and since I grew up shooting 1911s, I love the style as well.

I rented the P938 along with other guns at a local range and I was by far the most accurate with the Sig even though I probably only managed to shoot 20-25 rounds. I was using both the flush and extended mags when they both started falling out while shooting. I adjusted my grip as I assumed I was hitting the mag release and the same error kept occurring. I had the Range Safety Officer give it a go and the same error occurred when he shot the gun. When I returned the gun one of the staff said it's a known issue. He also demonstrated that by racking the slide while tilting the gun sideways, the slide gets hung up. I was pretty disappointed at the issues the gun was having.

I haven't owned a gun in a while and I would like my EDC to be my primary weapon until I purchase another for home defense. My wife also loves the P238 so I'd be buying one of those too. My biggest concern is that I am making a foolish mistake buying two costly guns with substantial issues. While they are great shooters and feel awesome are they reliable? Are the issues I experienced wide spread or a just small percentage of the P238/938 universe?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
P938 is my EDC. I haven't had one issue. I use a stealth IWB. I carried a few times with a sticky a few times but I had the magazine release one time. I think it was the holster, I noticed when I went to put it in the safe for the night. It has never happened with the stealth. It feels so good to carry that I forget that it is there.

Registered
I have carried a 938 Equinox for about 3 trouble free years. I never had a problem. I have carried it in a Remora. Prior to getting the 938, I carried a P238 Equinox, over 11 years. That one has also been trouble free. That also was carried in a Remora.
See attached photo.....

Attachments

Registered
P-938 is my EDC too. Had troubles with mag drop and Sig fixed it pronto. Other than the mag well being kind of snug now, I love the gun. Highly recommend this 1911 little guy with great carry assets and a potent, accurate delivery. SAO carry is better than I thought.

Registered
I read a lot before I got my 938 and this is the first I ever hear of a mag release issue. Heard of the trigger angle, heard of ftf, fte but never that.
I have not had a single issue with mine at about 1000 rds. Probably be another 100 tomorrow.
I do like the 938 a lot, however I just got a shield today and ran 50 thru it without issues and that was under $300 after the rebate. I have let's say a few guns and price per product that shield has to be the best bang for the buck I have.
I do love my sigs and am in no way trying to stear you away from the 938, just informing you of the current rebate on gen 1 shield and it's pretty accurate. Well so is my 938.
Hope this helps a bit.

Registered
I read a lot before I got my 938 and this is the first I ever hear of a mag release issue. Heard of the trigger angle, heard of ftf, fte but never that.
I have not had a single issue with mine at about 1000 rds. Probably be another 100 tomorrow.
I do like the 938 a lot, however I just got a shield today and ran 50 thru it without issues and that was under $300 after the rebate. I have let's say a few guns and price per product that shield has to be the best bang for the buck I have.
I do love my sigs and am in no way trying to stear you away from the 938, just informing you of the current rebate on gen 1 shield and it's pretty accurate. Well so is my 938.
Hope this helps a bit.
The mag release issue is very common. Sig fixes it. With the Shield rebate, you can get an M&P9 for as little as $234 (I saw some sights selling for $309) with the $75 S&W rebate. That's a steal indeed.

Registered
I purchased a P938 about 6 months ago now. I have had zero problems with it. I got about 600 rounds through it so far. I was intimidated a bit by reading the posts here of problems but thought if they know the problems, and I have them, they will get fixed. So far...no issues. I love it. It's perfect for EDC.

Registered
Welcome to the forum from another Newbie! I just traded for the SAS in my Avatar. I don't have but a couple of hundred rounds thru it but its been 100%.

Range guns aren't always well maintained so its hard to say what was going on. Probably just a weak mag catch spring, easily replaced.

I've also for a Shield 9 and it's been a great gun. You just can't go wrong either way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have carried a 938 Equinox for about 3 trouble free years. I never had a problem. I have carried it in a Remora. Prior to getting the 938, I carried a P238 Equinox, over 11 years. That one has also been trouble free. That also was carried in a Remora.

See attached photo.....

Nice looking pair of siblings

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P-938 is my EDC too. Had troubles with mag drop and Sig fixed it pronto. Other than the mag well being kind of snug now, I love the gun. Highly recommend this 1911 little guy with great carry assets and a potent, accurate delivery. SAO carry is better than I thought.

Yeah I'm more comfortable carrying SAO with safety than DAO striker without a safety. Don't know why but it just makes for sense to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah the price and rebate on the Shield is tempting. I shot the Shield and shot it well. I was probably more accurate with the Shield than the G43. There's just something I don't like as much about the Shield.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the from from another Newbie! I just traded for the SAS in my Avatar. I don't have but a couple of hundred rounds thru it but its been 100%.

Range guns aren't always well maintained so its hard to say what was going on. Probably just a weak mag catch spring, easily replaced.

I've also for a Shield 9 and it's been a great gun. You just can't go wrong either way.

I agree with your statement that range guns aren't well maintained. One Range I rented from the condition of the Shield and XD-S were appalling and really made the shooting experience less than desirable. The range I visited with the P938 seemed to keep their rentals in very good condition (It's a high end in range with high end prices). Even though the keep them very clean and seemingly well maintained I think their 938 needs to go back to Sig.

馃帠USAF Veteran
I have both a P238 and a P938, ever since they were first released.
Never had any problems with either.
There aren't many small pistols that can compete with them for concealed carry.
I also have a 9mm Shield. Never any problems with it, although the size just can't compete with the 938.

Registered
I pocket carry a 938 as my EDC. I experienced the 7-round mag dropping while firing right out of the box, but sent the gun back to Sig and now have over 1100 rounds through the gun without issue. Never had an issue with the 6-round magazine and feel the gun is quite reliable and accurate. My two-tone BRG was less than $550 shipped with two magazines and night sights.

Registered
I have attempted to get the slide locking pin to drop out of my 938, by racking it with pin side down. slow fast medium you name it. It has not fallen out. I have not fired it that way. There is a spring that retains this pin. It may be damaged or not set right that is causing this. I would not consider a problem with a range gun as a real indication of what a gun does or does not do. Just like a rental car they are abused.

Registered
My SIG P938 Blackwood is my EDC. I purchased a 7 round mag for it and after a time, I started having mag drops. I knew that SIG would fix the problem but the hassle of sending it in and waiting weeks or longer to get it back did not appeal to me. Instead, I chose to purchase another six round mag. At 1800 plus rounds fired, my P938 has been flawless with the six rounders. I shoot better with the six round mags and they are easier to conceal.

Registered
Yeah the price and rebate on the Shield is tempting. I shot the Shield and shot it well. I was probably more accurate with the Shield than the G43. There's just something I don't like as much about the Shield.

I had a g43 and sold it in favor of the 938. The g43 is a fine gun, I just could not marry to it well enough to be naturally comfortable with it. That is the nice thing about today's world, lots of choices for different style of shooters and purposes.
Go with what you feel comfortable with. I had no issues with my g43 either (about 550-650 rds).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I pocket carry a 938 as my EDC. I experienced the 7-round mag dropping while firing right out of the box, but sent the gun back to Sig and now have over 1100 rounds through the gun without issue. Never had an issue with the 6-round magazine and feel the gun is quite reliable and accurate. My two-tone BRG was less than $550 shipped with two magazines and night sights.

Damn, that's a good price. Kinda sucks that you have to send a new gun back for repair when it's a known issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have attempted to get the slide locking pin to drop out of my 938, by racking it with pin side down. slow fast medium you name it. It has not fallen out. I have not fired it that way. There is a spring that retains this pin. It may be damaged or not set right that is causing this. I would not consider a problem with a range gun as a real indication of what a gun does or does not do. Just like a rental car they are abused.

Interesting. I saw in the forums where a few had the same problem but hopefully it was on earlier releases of the 938. The rental guns probably have 20k plus rounds through them although this range seems to stay on top of their maintenance based on other guns I fired.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.