SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to shooting but for the last month and a helf I've been studying a lot, taking some lessons, got my CCW licenseadn going to my local range about 3-4 times a week.

I currently have a Glock G27 .40 subcompact for CCW. Not sure this is the gun for me for a subcompact but I'll keep it for a while since I've only had it for a few weeks and would lose my butt in a trade.

I want to get a full size gun for range and home. I rented a few guns at the range and really liked the Sig P226 .40 and 9mm. Felt great in my hand and I shot these very accurately in various types of drills.

So it's between a Sig P226 and a HK45...I will get both eventually but need to pick 1 now.

Which P226???? The Navy seems kind of cool. Can any of you experienced Sig owners point out and pro's and con's to the new MK25 Navy or maybe a different P226 Sig? THANKS!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Id go with the sig. ;) Just messing, but for real, i believe that any p226 would make a great gun, so i would pick one based on personal preference. Myself, im a two tone guy, some people dont like flashy, but here in the wonderful IL, we dont even get a chance to conceal it anyways, so it might as well be pretty on the night stand or at the range!! :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Might I make a suggestion? First off you currently have a gun chambered in .40 S&W. That gun makes for a super CCW weapon. Since you have a Glock already, and you are familiarizing yourself with its operation, rather than getting into another handgun platform, why not stay with Glock and get a Glock 23 or for full size, get a G22. Both of these are .40 S&W and would be great for general range plinking and practice as well. That way you do not have to learn new muscle memories and procedures for another caliber and another handgun platform. Now with that having been said, I am not a Glock fan, and am a very serious Sig fan, so when and if you get proficient enough with your primary carry gun, and you have much range time under your belt, then feel free to experiment with other calibers and most def get a Sig or two. I have been in the gun business for over 45 years, and speak from experience..the most important thing here is to practice, practice and more practice with the gun platform you carry for protection and CCW, so that it is second nature to draw and use that gun. Than play around with other guns too. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're "new to shooting" get the 226. Why? It's a great gun and it's only $10/bx for ammo! Forget the coolness of the Navy. Save the money...shoot more. You'll be cooler if you can consistently hit the bullseye.

As far as the Navy goes, it's purely aesthetics...cool, but unless you are going on a black ops mission you're paying for marketing.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I agree on getting a P226 in 9MM.

The MK25 would be one I would highly consider if getting a new P226. It comes with night sights and an extra magazine which makes it a pretty good value but they are flying off the shelves and can be somewhat hard to find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the P226 MK25 Navy. So far 300 rounds thought and it is awesome. Between the MK25 and a regular P226 was only a few hundred so to me it was worth it to have this gun.

My next purchase will be soon. there is a gun show coming up in a few weeks so I'll see if any good deals will be there. I want to get a .45 next. I'm thinking of getting a Sig .45 or HK45 or a 1911... Not sure yet.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I bought the P226 MK25 Navy. So far 300 rounds thought and it is awesome. Between the MK25 and a regular P226 was only a few hundred so to me it was worth it to have this gun.

My next purchase will be soon. there is a gun show coming up in a few weeks so I'll see if any good deals will be there. I want to get a .45 next. I'm thinking of getting a Sig .45 or HK45 or a 1911... Not sure yet.

Congratulations on your purchase! Check out the Sig P220... I have one, and its a great shooter!

·
Registered
190 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase. Be sure to post pics and shoot the heck out of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 226 would be my choice between the two, if 9mm, but if you are leaning toward a .45, I'd take an HK45 over a P220. The HK45 is an incredible .45. The ergonomics are great. The accuracy is superb, and the SA trigger pull is fantastic. The DA pull leaves a little to be desired, but isn't too bad.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

I have a P220 and SIG 1911 and they are both awesome shooters!! I have tried the HK45 and it is awesome also.

The P220 is well known to be one the most if not most accurate out of the box combat .45 pistols around. The single stack grip is about perfect on it IMO.

You really need to try all them out, ideally on the same day, to help you make your decision. Or get all three. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.