SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered the 220 super match, my first 45. I've got a few hundred range brass pickups, and some tightgroup and clays powder. I've ordered the caliber exchange kits for my Dillon 550.

So any suggestions for bullets? This will only be for range use.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Are any considered more accurate?
Hornady makes a 185gr HP match bullet (made for accuracy not SD expansion) that is actually reasonably priced by the 1K lots (16-18CPB).
Those shot very well in my P220Carry

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
Wulfman brings up a valid point in that various pistols will shoot various weight bullets better. It will be something you may have to test with your new pistol.

I do know Precision Delta brags about their accuracy. Anytime I can get a FMJ bullet over a plated bullet for less money I will take it. Precision Delta FMJ is less expensive than Berry's plated bullets in 230 gr.

I will not personally judge which is more accurate. As I have aged, bullets and guns are more accurate than me the shooter. I can still hit the side of a barn if I am inside.

·
Registered
376 Posts
For range rounds: 230g Berry's plated round nose bullet over 4.5g Bullseye. About 670 fps, shoots to POA out to about 25 yrds.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Wulfman brings up a valid point in that various pistols will shoot various weight bullets better. It will be something you may have to test with your new pistol.

I do know Precision Delta brags about their accuracy. Anytime I can get a FMJ bullet over a plated bullet for less money I will take it. Precision Delta FMJ is less expensive than Berry's plated bullets in 230 gr.

I will not personally judge which is more accurate. As I have aged, bullets and guns are more accurate than me the shooter. I can still hit the side of a barn if I am inside.
I will agree to this, to a point. For match grade weapons bullet, primer, powder choice lead to improved accuracy. My experience with most combat weapons is that I tend to stick with a given bullet weight/design and modify my powder choice to improve accuracy. I find this requires far less test time and if I stick to a common weight for a bullet (like 230 for .45) my options for bullets are greatly increased.

Like for 9mm I stick to 115 and 124 gr bullets, 230 for ACP and Long Colt if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thanks, I ended up ordering a few 100 packs to try out. 185 Jhp, 200lswc, and 230 jhp.

Anything different about using lead?
Just watch for barrel leading. Most modern lead mixes do not do this, but some may. This is why I tend to go for the High-Tec coated lead. So I don't have to clean the barrel of lead.

My 45 Long Colt does tend to lead a bit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've tried out a few trial batches.

230gr FMJ, with titegroup, I have several pounds so I thought I'd start out with it.

4.3' 4.5, and 4.7 @ 1.265

All feed and ejected fine. Accuracy was about the same. I just used two hand hold, I couldn't sit down and brace to really check, but the groups look like mine.

Trying 4.3 @ 1.240 next.

Also tried 200gr LSWC

4.6 and 4.9 @ 1.242 also worked fine.

Trying 4.5 and 4.3 @ 1.215 next.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.