SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a hang press from lee as we spend family time watching tv at night. I'm wondering if it's fees able to sit on the couch and load some rounds of .40S&W every night? Or is it more of a sit at a desk with all the tools spread out. I don't mind that the hand press might be slower but I'd do like 20-40 rounds a night. Is this feesable or impractical? I don't shoot more than 500rounds a month so I don't need to make a lot. I would just like to make quality rounds cheaper and as a hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I agree with the above statement. Reloading is a great hobby and will bring you great satisfaction and pride in shooting your own reloads. However, it is a very serious business and shouldn't be multitasked.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I do my priming while watching TV. I just use my hand priming tool. I also sort my brass while watching. I have a hard time just sitting and watching TV. I have a rockchucker on a little work table so it is portable and I have deprimed and resized while the TV is going.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
While I tend to agree with the other posters with respect to safety, in the interests of full disclosure I have to admit the following:

When I got out of the Army I had a teeny apartment, a press mounted on an old end table I paid $1.00 for in a garage sale and I sat on a hand me down couch reloading in front of the TV. I did this for a few years until I graduated from College and got a good paying job.

My advice would be to use the couch and the press to size and decap brass and then load it somewhere where you're not distracted.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I check brass, sort hedstamps (rifles) out in the living room with the wife and sometimes she helps. I will prime out there also.
I do have a tv in my man cave I turn on for some noise while I load but it is at my back. I suggest to either have powder that if you double charge it will spill out or just don't do it with a tv on. Just a suggestion

I have luckily only screwed up once and put pistol mag primers in my 300 wm rifle. I did a ladder test and kept having over pierced primers. I stopped and shot different guns. Went home and reviewed, found my mistake. I remember the night clearly, I came home from a hard day and was exhausted but needed to stay awake and needed ammo. Knowing how tired I was I was not going to load any ammo but I got everything laid out for the next night. I then decided to check brass I had cleaned anddecides to prime them.

I was lucky and learned my lesson. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Reloading with any distraction whatsoever is an invitation to disaster.

Just don't. If you can't focus on what you're doing with ANY part of working with firearms or ammunition - just don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.