SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I'm wondering how the reliability is of the 938? I have a shield 45 and may trade it in towards a 938 because of the size of the gun. How does the 938 compare to the micro 9? Similar guns. But micro is cheaper with only 1 mag but can purchase another mag and still be cheaper.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Truth is it's spotty. If you get a good one then you're ok, but otherwise, you're stuck with a gimp. I know these are popular little guns, but I would not buy one for any reason. I just don't like them. If you trade a Shield 45 for a 938...well, it is your gun, but if you want a more compact gun then I suggest going another direction. Of course, you're going to get flooded with posts about how great the 938 is, but just google it for yourself. There are better guns more suitable for pocket carry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As the title states I'm wondering how the reliability is of the 938? I have a shield 45 and may trade it in towards a 938 because of the size of the gun. How does the 938 compare to the micro 9? Similar guns. But micro is cheaper with only 1 mag but can purchase another mag and still be cheaper.
Remember to factor in the value of night sights. The Micro 9 does not come with them and the P938 does.

I know some folks have had some issues with the P938, but mine has been nothing short of flawless through the first 200 rounds that I have through it. (I just got it.)

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I have a very strong bias regarding the P938. For the money, a lot better guns on the market, IMHO. There have been numerous issues reported on the P938. I owned one and have recently sold it to a member here. It required me spending considerable money and energy to get the gun into a condition I felt comfortable selling it.

I currently own several small handguns I would recommend to anyone before the P938 - Walther PPS M2, S&W Shield, G43, Kahr PM9, S&W 640, S&W 340.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have the 938 BGR(Rubber Grips). I have been very happy with this gun. Have somewhere between 400- 800 rounds through it(Don't really keep track) I have had a ftf or two. When gun was new. No marks on primer. I have had a couple of jams. If you go to the Kimber forum and look at the Micro 9 you will see the same kind of complaints. I have looked at a lot of forums for different models. They all have the same "problems". FTF, Jams, Slide not locking back, etc. Seems to me it's the nature of the beast.

We even see problems with the p320 and p226 etc.on this forum. Some people get rid of them. They have different reasons.

The kimber Micro 9 is .2 inches longer then the 938. The 938 Barrel is 3 inches. The Kimber is 3.15. They are very similar.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I bought a used but practically new P938 last year and it has functioned flawlessly with about 400 rounds of several brands and loads through it. As previously stated if you're lucky and get a good one they're great. If you get a problem child, not so great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the things not mentioned so far is relative cost. I own a P938 Extreme. When I compare today's street price for it to a comparably equipped Kimber Micro 9 (the CDP without laser seems the closest), the Sig is significantly less expensive. FWIW, I'm not down on Kimbers. I own two (.45 ACP Custom II TLE and 9mm Tactical Pro) and wouldn't consider selling/trading either. In fact, had the Micro 9 existed when I was looking for a 1911-like, "pocket-able" EDC pistol, I would have given it very serious consideration.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
I have zero experience with the Kimber, but have considerable experience with the P938. Unfortunately, much of that experience has been troubleshooting, repairing, shipping them back to SIG for repair and test firing them after repairs.

I'm on my third one. I like it very much and carry it often. It's hard to beat for size/weight/caliber, but it requires a level of attention that my other SIGs do not.

My personal recommendation to anyone considering the P938 is that they buy a new one (with the lifetime warranty) and buy one manufactured after AUG2015.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a P938—its a cool little pistol and its okay for daily carry but I honestly prefer carrying my M11-A1, I feel its a better made gun and much more versatile than the little micro-compact. You need to assess what you want from a gun and see if that particular model can meet those needs.

Things I don't like about the 938: the safety, the recoil, for a bigger hand—even with the Hogue wrap arounds it can be problematic to hold, cleaning it and lastly the capacity.

Things I like about the 938: its size, weight and caliber. Hmmmm... see where I lean? I think too many people get caught up in the micro-compact pistols and they dont look at their bigger counterparts.

All the above being said, I consider my P938 very reliable. During the first 200 rounds, I had 4 FTEs, but since being cleaned and lubricated, it has performed consistenty without issue. They are a solid little pistol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I purchased mine on 18/03/2016 brought it home cleaned and lubed took it to the rage and it eat everything from Winchester Train and Defend 147gr; Freedom Munition 124gr JHP; and Fiocchi 115gr FMJ no problems at all. I also own the Ruger LC9 cannot stand it the trigger is horrible. I also own the Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact 9. I truly like it shoots great but calling it a subcompact well that’s a stretch.

P938 Edge

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can only speak to the 938. I have about 900 rounds through my BRG. It has been flawless with the exception of dropping its 7-round magazine while firing (when brand new out of the box). That magazine catch spring issue was repaired quickly by Sig. The gun eats any ammo I feed it, including 115, 124, and 147 gr target and self defense rounds. I pocket carry and ocassionally carry OWB the 938 as my EDC. I am completely confident in the handgun at this point. It's a perfect size and the felt recoil is very manageable. I'd buy it again based on my experiences with the gun.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I recently sold my 938 because I could not gain the needed confidence with it's reliability. I wanted very much to learn to love it, but it wasn't going to happen. All my P-series Sigs are 100%. Not so with the 938. At least that was my experience.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
So as you read through this thread, even those who vouch for its reliability have exceptions to it being a solid little gun. LOL! Honestly, I think they are neat looking little guns, and some of them, I'm told, run great, with exceptions, but for the money...one can find much better options for a carry gun. This has been a good experience for me. I hope it has been for you, Firearmjunky22!

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I picked up a 938 used at a gun show a couple of years ago. It's a July 13 run. Two tone with Sig laser and rubber grips. Don't know the exact flavor. I bought it on the cheap for my wife. She loves it. I highly suspect it has had a thousand rounds through it since I brought it home with zero failures. It looked very sparingly used when purchased. I thought the 938 was a solid build from Sig before reading this thread. I'm way happy with mine.. or the better halfs. Guess we got lucky.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I sold both mine and my wife's 938 Blackwoods. I didn't have a reliability problem with them but I just didn't shoot them well. I switched to a Sig 1911 45 Ultra. I love my Ultra and shoot it well. I think the 938 is way over priced ( have come down since I bought mine 4 years ago) I paid $700 + for a pistol with a plastic trigger. Sig is by far my favorite guns but I don't care for the 938. But to each his own.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a Shield 9 & 45 - super guns i most respects. I purchased a new P938 (Oct 2016) manufacture) and it has been a wonderful little shooter. Its my primary daily now over the Shield pistols. Not because the P938 is a noticeably better pistol, I simply prefer the 1911 genre.

My main complaint with the 938 is the price. Even with the night sights and various aesthetic varieties the little SIG is simply over priced. This keeps it out of the hands of many shooters.

I have had no mechanical issues or reliability troubles. Its a fairly popular pistol in my area and most report similar scenarios from my range conversations.

I would also echo the recommendation for buying a new late production gun.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 938 Equinox and carry it quite often. Has at least 500 round thru it and it's
never given me a problem. I even bought the Sig .22 LR conversion kit for it and have
had the same results with it. Around 300 rounds of .22 so far.
No complaints here at all.
Dano

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am waiting on my 938 to travel home from Sig when they fix my two issues with it. I like the gun. Great size for even pocket carry, good caliber, great looking, and when I shot it uninterrupted by failures, it was a pretty good target piece from EDC distances. I saw Christak's post in this and other threads so count me as hopeful. If it's not right after it gets back, I reserve comment on what my position on this particular Sig (my first) really is. I will say this. I have never had any of my previous pistol purchases go back to the manufacturer. One rifle did, which was a Ruger, and they nailed the problem and I've got more than 600 rounds through it. Hopefully Sig duplicates that level of satisfaction with an initially not so great experience. I can neither bad-mouth nor recommend the 938 at this juncture.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have / have had Kimbers in several versions. When I picked up my first Micro, I was not impressed by the materials or the construction. I've tried to look at it and like it a few times since, but it just isn't going to happen for me.

I have handled, but not fired, the 938. From a construction / materials comparison, there isn't one.

Unless the price on the Micro is a screaming deal, and you have the patience to nurse a Kimber from the box to where it needs to be for CC, I would look for something else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My first P938 was a Nightmare and it fit it's name. I bought it used and immediately started having issues. Sent it back to Sig and found that the previous owner had sent it back three times. I carried it for awhile after Sig fixed it but could not trust it. Since then I have bought, and still own, a Scorpion and an Extreme which have both been flawless through about 500 rounds each. The caliber is OK, capacity acceptable, and a size that I can carry IWB, OWB or pocket.:)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts