SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been to the range for more than a month and was able to go yesterday.

My first few shots were all over and improved as I got better control. Here are some pictures.

Distance is at 10 yards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
I was nearly 20 years between range trips a decade back. Talk about some bad shooting.
Well, it wasn't terrible but far from good. There is a lot to say for keeping one's shooting skills sharp. I try to work in a weekly range trip now. Even if it's just a box through my EDC it's worth the time, effort, and expense. Your pics are typical for my shooting. It takes a mag or two to settle in and get comfortable. Part of it for me it just relaxing. I'm always in a big hurry to get to the range and shoot. I try to take my time getting my stuff arranged and target up and out. Time to settle down and just relax. I do my better shooting when I'm just shooting... relaxed and just seeing front sight. Nice shooting by the way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shooting is a perishable skill. If you don't practice regularly your muscle memory will lose the ability to shoot instinctively.

I always bring more than one gun when I go to the range, usually 3 or 4. When I start out I hang my targets an send them out to 21 feet. I dry fire 5 - 10 cycles then load the gun and shoot. Because I shoot more than one gun I like to dry fire first so that I get the feel for the trigger of the gun in my hand. When I switch guns I'll dry fire again and so on.

I'm a firm believer in the saying "fear the man with one gun because he knows how to use it" but I like guns too much to be limited to just one gun.

·
Banned
516 Posts
Up until the past year, I was a once every couple months shooter for about 10yrs.

Then I started getting more serious, ended up taking a few classes last year...which I highly recommend.
I am now shooting at least once a week if not more, needless to say my ammo budget has gone through the roof...and my UPS guy just shrugs every month when I get my delivery.

I always take my EDC, and put at least 2-3 mags through it.
I usually only bring one other pistol depending on what I want to do that day, and shoot between 150-300rds.

I try to get my wife to come out with me at least once a month, to practice with our bedside firearm.
She also has a little Ruger 22 that she enjoys shooting when her hands get tired.

But regardless, you should shoot as often and as much as you can.

·
Premium Member
18,513 Posts
Spend 5 to 10 minutes each and every day doing dry fire drills. No need for live ammo at a range to maintain your skills. Dry firing can be done virtually anywhere and costs you nothing! Triple check the weapon is empty, have no ammo in the room with you while dry firing and follow the basic rules of firearms at all times (don't aim at something you aren't willing to destroy, in particular)

Dry fire practice is an excellent maintenance exercise.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Spend 5 to 10 minutes each and every day doing dry fire drills. No need for live ammo at a range to maintain your skills. Dry firing can be done virtually anywhere and costs you nothing! Triple check the weapon is empty, have no ammo in the room with you while dry firing and follow the basic rules of firearms at all times (don't aim at something you aren't willing to destroy, in particular)

Laserlyte FTW

·
Banned
516 Posts

Good advice!

I dry-practice pretty much daily...
But I prefer live fire training.

I am not a fan of those Laser things, I prefer the sound of real steel ringing!

...I might also add, I am not one of those "TactiCool" ninjas out there...I just like shooting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Laserlyte rocks!

Laserlyte FTW
I am a big fan of the Laserlyte. Not the same as a real bullet, of course. Great for everyday practice. It's improved my aim.

My firing range is out my back door, but not much during the winter. That's another reason for Laserlyte practice.

No need to clean your pistol and the magazines after Laserlyte practice, which lets me work on my aiming skills nearly every day.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
ScalpeL28 said:
Regular Range Time Makes A Difference
Yesssireee!

If I stop shooting my 10mm pistols for more than two weeks, it's like I'm back at square one all over again...

10mm Groundhog Day! :lol:

Not that problematic with 9mms or .40S&Ws, though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For a older shooter I try to go to the range one time per week.
if I skip a week or so I can really tell.
like to shoot one gun at the time, don't like cleaning 2-3 guns when I get home.
Hoppers #9 gets to me after smelling a pint or so.
But love fireing hand guns

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Nice shooting ScalpeL28! :cool:

I love shooting but I find once a month or so adequate for me. I do dry fire a little bit probably ever week maybe 30 times. I am not trying to become John Wick however. I was shooting my pistols for years before CCW became a reality in Illinois which I never believed would happen. I take 3-5 pistols to the range because that is what I like to do as I enjoy a variety of pistols. Range time is very good therapy for me.

I just got back from Las Vegas. My brother in law wanted to go to the range and I never turn that down and it had been over a month for me. I did not have any of my pistols with me because and we shot his only pistol, a 1980s vintage Springfield Armory 1911. I shot about 6 magazines through it. Only at 7 yards but I was happy how I could shoot his pistol. 7 rounds on 3 inch dot target. I did not shoot one of the full auto rifles they had because I am recovering well from shoulder impingement in right shoulder rotator cuff and did not want to push it but will next visit this fall. Fun way to blow $70 in a few seconds LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.