SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got new carpet and I had to move my safe. I took the opportunity to go through my safe for the first time ever, really. I bought the safe years ago (15?) and put things in orderly but I have never really cleaned nor nor re-organized it, just added stuff where it would fit (in a kind of "ish" fashion) when buying new stuff. I have been a shooter for many years but serious about it for around 20 and a "Sig Guy" since the early 2000s so 20 years. Seeing my daily carry vs a few "safe queens" was fun. Safe queens include an unfired Colt Anaconda .44, a German 226 X5, a Colt Python, my Grandfather's Colt Agent .38 Special, and a few inexpensive weapons that were gifts (a little darringer that my FIL gave me), etc. Cleaning out the safe was like a trip down memory lane of purchases (good and mistakes). Gun shows, NRA meetings, dudes I met in parking lots. Every purchase had an intended purpose that I THOUGHT I needed and cleaning it out was fun. I kept (albeit reorganized) every weapon. I have never really cleaned nor organize my safe, just added stuff where it would fit when buying new stuff. Only one item, an inexpensive Stoeger over under 20 gauge, do I not remember where I got or why? Now my safe is organized and my mind reinvigorated about the hobby. I recommend it! That is all, carry on!
I fretted over where to put this post. If I put it in the wrong place it was not for lack of thought about it.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Not done what you did, but recently packed my gun stuff (most of it) and sent it to Texas, where we are moving. Discovered about 5 cases of .45 ACP target ammo I didn’t know I had, plus a couple cases of M1 Garand ammo. Nice to know. Now I can continue to shoot a while without paying the stupid high prices of ammo these days.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You have too many guns. You should probably just gove a few of them away. I'll send you my FFL address if you would like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You should have to clean them all if properly stored. Mine are in a safe with a dehumidifying tool, a hygrometer, and I use Renaissance wax on them before putting them away. I have guns that have been there about 20 years with no sign of rust.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
During the demo stage of remodeling the homes of casual shooters, I have emptied and moved quite a few safes for customers. You would be amazed at what I have found. Due to the piling it in factor, I sometimes find junk in the safe, while good stuff is stuffed in a closet. Some people have so much unsecured stuff, it is a nightmare securing the home for construction. I have relocated safes to my home, just to be safe. (😉)

Reactions: Devereaux

·
Registered
829 Posts
Very cool. Finding lost, unloved or forgotten stuff is like buying them a second time. I don't have enough guns to lose or forget any and always take out the ones I have to shoot them but i have been known to find ammo and reloading components i didnt know i had and its always a treat!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep my safe fairly clean, but do keep a box of misc. parts and accessories. Always amazes me when I clean the box out - once or twice a year - a find a pic rail or set of scope rings or something that I just ordered again week before. Sigh….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not really have any I had "forgotten" (minus the O/U shotgun) just several I had not handled in a while. I am very fortunate to have several nice utility weapons (daily carry), several collectables I shoot, and a few safe queens. Condition was great, wiped all down with an oily rag. I have a dehumdifier rod and the safe is in an air conditioned area (albeit in Nashville where i live with high humididy). No issues with rust.

Still cannot for the life of me remember how I acquired that Shotgun?

Not like I never go to my safe (I do so nearly daily), I just had not really been back in the corners and under some boxes in many years. As others have mentioned I did discover a lot more ammo in there than I would have predicted. Not a bad problem. Many more in 9mm than I thought I had (I shoot mostly .40), a ton (not literally but felt like it of 12 and 20g) and an almost embarrassing amount of 5.56/223--plus cursory boxes of .357 and 10mm. I many go shooting a few times just due to the extra ammo I found! If I am arrested, I can hear the news reports now--"investigators found an alarming amount of LIVE ammo in his home". Me in the background yelling, "what? is that bad?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts