SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a problem with acquiring the dot. I want the dot and the cowitness to at least be in the same sight picture. Now I have to raise the pistol to an unnaturally angled position then go hunting for the dot. I used a bore sight to zero in. I emailed EGW and there response was that was the way it is.

Next up is Armor Craft. After speaking with the company rep today I am going to order when the plate is back in stock (late October). He was quite knowledgeable about this particular issue.

I will update unless I find somewhere with ammo.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
PMOs/Pistol Mounted Optics, and BUIS/Backup Iron Sights, are totally independent sighting systems and their only real relationship is to have the BUIS visible through the lower third or quarter of the lens, so the lens is as uncrowded as possible. Remember, the BUIS are for backup only. Unlike conventional magnified optics with a centered reticle, the Dot of a PMO will often not be centered in the lens after proper zeroing, and that's okay.

To do the intial zeroing, assuming the Dot optic is installed properly, match/adjust the Dot to the actual bullet POI at your chosen distance of say 10-25 yds (preferably from a bench)... Once the Dot matches the actual bullet POI- you're done.

When initially learning to use a PMO, it can seem that pistol alignment and elevation are wonky, but that will go away once you learn the proper draw and presentation technique. One good idea is to cover the irons with masking tape to force oneself to ignore them... Focus on the target and with practice the Dot will start to naturally appear over the target.

Here's a link to a great discussion with plenty of good input from a bunch of different members, and videos from YT and other:

PISTOL OPTIC: STOP chasing the DOT

·
Registered
679 Posts
+1 ^^^^^Good Advice.
Trust me...I know....it's hard to un-learn the habit of referencing your irons. But Red Dots can allow you to have quality dry-fire practice to gain confidence in presenting consistently.
IMHO.....If you're not totally target focused with both eyes and pressing out toward the target, and you're still LOOKING AT THE IRONS WHATSOEVER, you're not getting the single-plane speed/accuracy benefit of Red Dots, and just wasting clock time. JMO - YMMV

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Training!!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Why ‘o why do people want to line up the red dot with the irons when shooting :rolleyes:? This is like the tenth question regarding this topic.

This is the most common mistake/misconception popularized by tactical timmies when it comes to shooting with a red dot. Look at the target and superimpose the dot on it and fire away. There’s no need to line up the irons with the red dot.

Dry fire, dry fire and dry fire some more until you establish your index. Once your index has been established, your dot will always be on the same spot on the target every time you draw your gun.

Zero and use them independently and never use them together when shooting. Quit watching those tactical timmies on YouTube advocating co-witnessing and follow the steps I talked about and you’ll be okay. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Why ‘o why do people want to line up the red dot with the irons when shooting :rolleyes:? This is like the tenth question regarding this topic.

This is the most common mistake/misconception popularized by tactical timmies when it comes to shooting with a red dot. Look at the target and superimpose the dot on it and fire away. There’s no need to line up the irons with the red dot.

Dry fire, dry fire and dry fire some more until you establish your index. Once your index has been established, your dot will always be on the same spot on the target every time you draw your gun.

Zero and use them independently and never use them together when shooting. Quit watching those tactical timmies on YouTube advocating co-witnessing and follow the steps I talked about and you’ll be okay. Trust me on this.

I can’t agree with you more . The whole purpose of having a red dot sight is to aim with the dot. Love the red dots on mine pistols especially shooting indoor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
PMOs/Pistol Mounted Optics, and BUIS/Backup Iron Sights, are totally independent sighting systems and their only real relationship is to have the BUIS visible through the lower third or quarter of the lens, so the lens is as uncrowded as possible. Remember, the BUIS are for backup only. Unlike conventional magnified optics with a centered reticle, the Dot of a PMO will often not be centered in the lens after proper zeroing, and that's okay.

Assuming the Dot optic is installed properly, match the Dot to the actual bullet POI at your chosen distance of say 10-25 yds (preferably from a bench)... Once the Dot matches the actual bullet POI- you're done.

When initially learning to use a PMO, it can seem that pistol alignment and elevation are wonky, but that will go away once you learn the proper draw and presentation technique. One good idea is to cover the irons with masking tape to force oneself to ignore them... Focus on the target and with practice the Dot will start to naturally appear over the target.

Here's a link to a great discussion with plenty of good input from a bunch of different members, and videos from YT and other:

PISTOL OPTIC: STOP chasing the DOT

Well stated.

Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics) has a free e-book anyone can download that goes into some detail about optics on pistols.

I highly recommend it.

Scott Jedkinski is another leader when it comes to optics mounted pistols. His videos are very insightful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

A challenge for sure but my highest regards for the advice. For dry fire I use a laser hit cartridge so I know exactly where I am shooting. I practice a lot but I never thought I can get about 50% in a 6 inch circle at around 10 feet WITH the red dot rubber covering over the Venom. You have to take the leap and believe, for you non believers🙂

·
Registered
259 Posts
I watched Lena Miculek's youtube on best use of 50rds and was amazed at how bad I was at acquiring the red dot from low ready. Transition was ok.

Also plan on taking my Mantis X10 to the range and using the shot timer from low ready and hands on table drills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts