SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was playing around today with running (not firing, just manually cycling) a variety of JHPs through my Chip McCormick 10-round .45 mags. I experimented with Sig V-Crowns, Hornady XTPs, Remington Golden Sabres and Underwoods, in two different 1911s - my Emperor Scorpion Carry and my Dan Wesson TCP.

I had multiple hangups with all of the above combos, where the hollow point would not clear the ramp. I tried the same rounds in both guns with a variety of 8-round mags I have - Wilson Combat, Mec-Gar, Sig, etc and had zero issues with those.

I have used the McCormick 10-round mags with FMJs and not had any issues at all with both of the above pistols.

As a result, I have a Wilson Combat 10-round mag (#47-45FS10) on the way to try. But I'm curious - have other folks found;

1) Similar issues with the McCormick 10-rounders?

and/or

2) Reliable success with other 10-round mags & JHPs?

I really want to find some rock-solid reliable 10-round mags for nightstand duty, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have two cmc ten rd mags, have not had any malfunction with fmj. Haven’t shot any hollow point due to cost and availability of 45 acp. Also have two eight round cmc mags. Sig stx and Remington r1 were 1911’s used.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got a pair of Chip McCormick 10 rounders. Used them in a Kimber at the range with ball ammo. Several failures to feed due to the round nose-diving in the magazine.

Since those failures (on several outings), they are plinking-only to my way of thinking.

When I carry my .45, I use 8-round magazines: one round in the chamber, 7 in the magazine, and 2 spare magazines. (If you've ever loaded an 8-round magazine against a closed chamber (so the top round presses against the bottom of the action), it takes far too much force for me to consider it reliable. Using it in an 8+1 configuration is something I'm not comfortable with, based on how much force the magazine spring pushes up against the cycling action.)

If I need more than 24 rounds of .45, I'm doing something wrong. ;)

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,833 Posts
Part of it sounds to me like getting a stronger magazine spring may help "balance" out your problem. A lot may have to do, with your 10 round magazines "age" too. Will the "empty" magazine lock back your slide? Remember the "Hollow Point" provides a "grabbing" surface, a FMJ doesn't have, so if the "nose" drops, it will hang with a HP.

I'd like to ask, what weight recoil spring you are using too, since the 8 round magazines are working fine. It's a "balance", as "nose down" normally means the magazine spring isn't providing enough upward pressure. compared to forward pressure. In the "beginning" the 1911 used a 16# Recoil Spring, then 18.5# became the "norm" for hotter ammunition!

Wolff has "generic" magazine springs for "extended" length Colt .45 magazines, with at least 18 coils in length. https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911 GOV'T PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#805

Wolff also have 5% Extra Power Magazine Springs, for the Shooting Star 10 round magazines, and the Power 10 round magazines. https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=56#826

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a pair of Chip McCormick 10 rounders. Used them in a Kimber at the range with ball ammo. Several failures to feed due to the round nose-diving in the magazine.

Since those failures (on several outings), they are plinking-only to my way of thinking.

When I carry my .45, I use 8-round magazines: one round in the chamber, 7 in the magazine, and 2 spare magazines. (If you've ever loaded an 8-round magazine against a closed chamber (so the top round presses against the bottom of the action), it takes far too much force for me to consider it reliable. Using it in an 8+1 configuration is something I'm not comfortable with, based on how much force the magazine spring pushes up against the cycling action.)

If I need more than 24 rounds of .45, I'm doing something wrong. ;)
Yeah, I've only had feeding issues with the cmc 10-rounders with JHPs, ball ammo feeds just fine.

I haven't had any problems with loading my 8-round mags to full capacity +1, which is how I typically carry.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part of it sounds to me like getting a stronger magazine spring may help "balance" out your problem. A lot may have to do, with your 10 round magazines "age" too. Will the "empty" magazine lock back your slide? Remember the "Hollow Point" provides a "grabbing" surface, a FMJ doesn't have, so if the "nose" drops, it will hang with a HP.

I'd like to ask, what weight recoil spring you are using too, since the 8 round magazines are working fine. It's a "balance", as "nose down" normally means the magazine spring isn't providing enough upward pressure. compared to forward pressure. In the "beginning" the 1911 used a 16# Recoil Spring, then 18.5# became the "norm" for hotter ammunition!

Wolff has "generic" magazine springs for "extended" length Colt .45 magazines, with at least 18 coils in length. https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911 GOV'T PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#805

Wolff also have 5% Extra Power Magazine Springs, for the Shooting Star 10 round magazines, and the Power 10 round magazines. https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=56#826
Willard -

Both of the cmc mags are brand new, but I did consider whether swapping for a stronger mag spring might help. They both lock back fine when empty. Thanks for the links - at some point I think I'll experiment with the extra power Wolff springs and see if that remedies the issue when feeding JHPs.

Both of my 1911s are using stock recoil springs - the Emperor Scorpion is a few months old and only has 300 rounds through it, and the DW is brand new.

I'll report back on how the WC 10-round mag performs in comparison once it arrives.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
I'm interested in your results with the WC 10-round mags.

So far, I've only used 8-round mags and I always buy only WC when I need new 1911 mags. Their 10mm mags are absolutely outstanding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have two ten round chip McCormick mags that have operated flawlessly in my sig stx and my Remington r1 stainless ( probably have cycled over 209 rounds through each mag. I feel confident in them, have my r1 under my bed in my safe with a ten round mag with another ten round mag beside it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts