SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's,
I have the sp2022 .40 and I'm looking to take some recoil away from it. Started shooting IDPA and I'm looking for faster follow shot. So I was wondering if the 220 compact/carry recoil spring will work in the 2022, or if you know of o e that will. I've seen some aftermarket products but they only offer up to a 20lbs spring which is factory for my .40cal.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just be aware that although a heavy spring will reduce the force of the slide hitting the locking block, it also increases the force when the slide returns to battery. So the muzzle flip or torque might be somewhat reduced with a heavier spring, but the "dip" will be more pronounced. Both forces affect follow-up shot sight alignment.

one option..Reduced loads and a lighter spring.

Another is a heavy hammer spring ( this will slow the slide down only in rearward movement, but not much).

And yet another is technique (requires a lot of practice and often overlooked). Basically..grip the pistol more tightly making a conscious effort to reduce muzzle torque. I know it sound obvious, but this actually works. Spending too much time aligning the sights then gently squeezing the trigger for that perfect shot can unknowingly causes a loose grip and more time getting back on target.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,011 Posts
Guy's,
I have the sp2022 .40 and I'm looking to take some recoil away from it. Started shooting IDPA and I'm looking for faster follow shot. So I was wondering if the 220 compact/carry recoil spring will work in the 2022, or if you know of o e that will. I've seen some aftermarket products but they only offer up to a 20lbs spring which is factory for my .40cal.
Thanks in advance
Depending on what you are currently using, there are other options within the .40 S&W, bullets from 135 to 200+ grains. If you don't reload, then your options are fewer. Lighter but faster projectiles will be snappier, and heavier but slower projectiles will result in heavier felt recoil.

Check ballistics tables, look for a training load with something like a 165 grain bullet, moving at less than 1000 fps. That will probably be the best you will find commercially.

Just remember, that a lot of these competitions have a "Power Factor" that figures into scoring.

Your 2022 uses a flat wire recoil spring, which is different than the majority of "Classic" Sigs, except for the P239.

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
438 Posts
Another option is switch to 357 Sig - its just a barrel swap if you're starting with a 40. I find this caliber's recoil a little easier to manage than a 40, but you'd have to try it out yourself - felt recoil is very subjective. 357 Sig ammo prices seem to be less of an issue than it used to be if you buy in bulk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another option is switch to 357 Sig - its just a barrel swap if you're starting with a 40. I find this caliber's recoil a little easier to manage than a 40, but you'd have to try it out yourself - felt recoil is very subjective. 357 Sig ammo prices seem to be less of an issue than it used to be if you buy in bulk.

Never thought about that

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
.40 is inherantly snappy. I was all in on .40 years ago, but went through the various fixes to improve the recoil. I have switched primarily to 9mm and down to only one .40. If in love with the gun, swapping to .357 is a viable option. If in love with the cartridge, milder rounds, spring changes, and grip experiment are about all there is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.