SIG Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my M17 in May of 2019. I clean and oil it regularly along with all my other guns. It's only been about 2 months since I last cleaned it, and it hasn't had any rounds through it since then, just been sitting in my safe. Took it apart to install the Wilson Combat grip module that just arrived an I noticed the recoil spring has rust on it!

Checked my wife's P320 X-Carry which is only about 6 months newer, no rust on it. Checked my Beretta 92FS, which is a few years older, no rust on it either. Very concerned that the recoil spring is rusting on my M17. Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
All gun vaults and safes should have humidity control devices in them. A gun's location within a safe can determine if it rusts or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I feel dumb. After looking at photos of replacement recoil springs, they all have this rust color on about the last 1/2" of the spring. Not sure why I didn't remember that from previous cleanings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I feel dumb. After looking at photos of replacement recoil springs, they all have this rust color on about the last 1/2" of the spring. Not sure why I didn't remember that from previous cleanings.
The X5 Legion comes with multiple recoil springs that are color coded on the end. Is this maybe the same thing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts