SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a p229 and I was wondering what type of ammo you guys like? I have 90 hollow points although they’re all steel case. How does the gun handle steel casings? Do you guys use brass? If you could link me to any online websites for ammo I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Welcome to ST and congrats on your p229 in 40cal.

I don't shoot steel case, only brass, and with all the craziness with ammo availability all I can say is 40cal is usually cheaper and more available than most other calibers during normal times. But these aren't normal times.

Put all your gun money towards ammo and formal training- that's the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I recently bought a p229 and I was wondering what type of ammo you guys like? I have 90 hollow points although they’re all steel case. How does the gun handle steel casings? Do you guys use brass you could link me to any online websites for ammo I would appreciate it.
None of the ranges near me allow steel - they check boxes with a magnet.
Congrats on the 229 - wonderful pistol to own.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
None of the ranges near me allow steel - they check boxes with a magnet.
Congrats on the 229 - wonderful pistol to own.
They don't allow steel cases? None of my ranges give a shake about the cases, just the bullet composition.

Reactions: Zebra

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
OP,
AmmoSeek.com

A limited amount of steel case or aluminum case ammo will not hurt your P229.
Steel projectile ammo would be a different story.

Steel case ammo is going to be dirtier since the case does not seal the chamber.
Clean it well after shooting steel case & the P229 will serve you well...

My P229 has 40,000 rounds through it of 9x19,357Sig,40S&W since the early 90's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently bought a p229 in .40 for a just in case gun. Just in case the political and social circumstances worsen. The only other Sig I have is a p225a-1 with which I very happy with. I bought it only a couple months ago so ammo was a little scarce. It shoots the aluminum cased ammo fine. But like you, I don’t have a lot of experience with it. The firearm is built like a tank so it should handle about anything.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,880 Posts
I recently bought a p229 and I was wondering what type of ammo you guys like? I have 90 hollow points although they’re all steel case. How does the gun handle steel casings? Do you guys use brass? If you could link me to any online websites for ammo I would appreciate it.
I like most anything .40, but currently it's slim pickings, even in .40 S&W. I've got Remington 180 grain Golden Saber, and Federal 180 grain HST, but also some Federal Tactical 155 grain, which is a shallower penetrator. Currently Speer Gold Dots are the only feasible stock I've seen.

Reactions: Zane20

·
Registered
595 Posts
I buy whatever is on sale but that was before covid and haven't bought any since.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Most ranges do not allow sttel cased ammo except for 762-39 in Ak47 and SKS rifles. I only use Brass cased ammo in all of My pistols. I have a variety of brands and weights that I shoot. My HD ammo is either Federal HST or Sig V-Crown..

·
Registered
976 Posts
My range of choice also does not allow steel core or steel case. Ymmv

As far as finding ammo now ... I reload but will still pick up ammo if I see it. I find that the major online sellers are out but I have found some ok deals on local boards just among other gun guys.

Especially if you have trade items.

40 fell out of favor but a lot of people are still sitting on a bunch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Recently aquired a p229 myself, I've only been able to put 165 fmj through mine, I've had some very respectable groups with that weight (about 1 in). Still going to try other weights to see what the pistol likes overall if this ammo thing ever settles down. But I'm really stoked about this pistol it's given me the best results of any pistol I've owned in .40.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Congrats on a fine pistol and an excellent platform for the .40 S&W round.

I've been shooting a fair bit of .40 these days, as the availability at my LGS has continued to be pretty good. And I've been reminded of how much I like it. A lot of the reasons why it has fallen out of favor don't hold much water for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Save your hollow points and try to find brass target ammo.

Are you sure those hollow points aren't nickel cased?
I’m pretty sure they’re steel although I cant find anything on any of the boxes that says it to be honest

1 - 20 of 42 Posts