SIG Talk banner

Reason to buy a 226 Legion SAO

2755 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bearone2
Good evening compatriots. I'll make it short...I have 10 Sig pistols to include the P226 DA/SA, getting the itch the add to the family...question is, is there any need to purchase the SIG P226 SAO if I have the standard 226? Will the upgrades really be noticed? :eek:
Reactions: JimLob65
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Yes, and YES!

I have a P226 rx. which is a regular da/sa P226 with a romeo1 red dot. I also have a P226 Legion sao.
The xray sights, undercut trigger guard, legion grips, and MOST important, the sao trigger!

Its an amazing shooting gun. Mine with just a 17# hammer spring change measures at 3.5# trigger pull.

I like the sao so much that I haven't even fired the other 226. I just swap the rx slide on the legion for range use.

· Registered
341 Posts
Rod really hit the high points. I have heard that the Legion trigger guard and beavertail work really changes how it feels during shooting compared to regular P226 models. I have a Legion SAO and it's the only SIG I've ever even held so I cannot verify this yet. Since it was Robert Burke (The SIG Armorer) who told me I don't doubt it.

· Registered
5,818 Posts
Robert Bourke can make the SA on your DA/SA every bit as good, actually better than a stock SAO Legion.

So the question is, what do you prefer for your intended use. For carry, I prefer a DA/SA P229 40, though carry a P938 on occasion for size and weight.

A DA/SA's single action can be no perceptible creep crisp, less than 3 lbs pull, and no overtravel. While DA can be 8 or a little under with an 18lb mainspring and smooth, no staging. You will spend a few hundred for this no doubt, though less than a new gun that you may still want to have tweaked.

· Registered
741 Posts
I own a P226 Legion DA/SA with a Wolff 17 lb mainspring and recently purchased a P226RX RX SAO. I really love the Legion and shoot it very well, fits my hand great, love the frame enhancements and the sights, and the trigger is very light and smooth.
I have shot my SAO once. The frame is virtually identical to the Legion, but the TRIGGER.....!! OMG! What an amazing trigger. This pistol is, for me, the most accurate I have ever shot, even while not using the Romeo sight. Long story short my next purchase will probably be a SAO Legion.

· Registered
452 Posts
Good evening compatriots. I'll make it short...I have 10 Sig pistols to include the P226 DA/SA, getting the itch the add to the family...question is, is there any need to purchase the SIG P226 SAO if I have the standard 226? Will the upgrades really be noticed? :eek:
Yes as stated above.

In terms of trigger the 226 SAO (elite or legion) has a shorter reset and better trigger in SA than any P2xx with SRT. Really it's that good. Better SA trigger pull, better than most 1911s and any striker fire.

Obviously there is no restrike capability. So the better carry & home defense gun is the DA/SA IMHO but the SAO is a better range & shoot steel & have fun gun. Once you shoot it you will understand.

The P226 series is my favorite handgun platform and fits me perfect. All calibers. Love the decocker feature (it's a tool with specific use i understand what it's for unlike many youtubers)

I recommend you consider the P226 Elite SAO Romeo for about the same $ as the Legion SAO (then add whatever G10s you prefer).

The Legion and SAO have better front strap checkering (both directions horiz & vertical) than many P2xx models. They have an undercut frontstrap slight improvement. Love the short beaver tail in terms of looks but also feel. I like Black and dislike the Legion grey color. The Legion adds the better xray sights & G10 but loses Romeo. So nothing tilts in favor of the Legion to me that i can't add (grips).

The P226-Elite-SAO costs went up $200 in the last 18 months from $875 to $1100-ish (gunbroker.. I've looked and looked) if you can even find them after the Legion. Now you can get it with the Romeo for a little more.

Adding the reddot is a $500 project so the fact that the 226-Elite-SAO-RX has all the great features, cowitness night sights, checkering and the GREAT SAO trigger is fantastic makes it IMHO one of the top USA Sigs to date.

· Registered
741 Posts
Yes as stated above.

In terms of trigger the 226 SAO (elite or legion) has a shorter reset and better trigger in SA than any P2xx with SRT. Really it's that good. Better SA trigger pull, better than most 1911s and any striker fire.

Obviously there is no restrike capability. So the better carry & home defense gun is the DA/SA IMHO but the SAO is a better range & shoot steel & have fun gun. Once you shoot it you will understand.

The P226 series is my favorite handgun platform and fits me perfect. All calibers. Love the decocker feature (it's a tool with specific use i understand what it's for unlike many youtubers)

I recommend you consider the P226 Elite SAO Romeo for about the same $ as the Legion SAO (then add whatever G10s you prefer).

The Legion and SAO have better front strap checkering (both directions horiz & vertical) than many P2xx models. They have an undercut frontstrap slight improvement. Love the short beaver tail in terms of looks but also feel. I like Black and dislike the Legion grey color. The Legion adds the better xray sights & G10 but loses Romeo. So nothing tilts in favor of the Legion to me that i can't add (grips).

The P226-Elite-SAO costs went up $200 in the last 18 months from $875 to $1100-ish (gunbroker.. I've looked and looked) if you can even find them after the Legion. Now you can get it with the Romeo for a little more.

Adding the reddot is a $500 project so the fact that the 226-Elite-SAO-RX has all the great features, cowitness night sights, checkering and the GREAT SAO trigger is fantastic makes it IMHO one of the top USA Sigs to date.

Chinch makes some very good points. The only differences between the Elite SAO and the Legion below the slides, aside from the finish and the grips, are the flat trigger and the checkering under the trigger guard (easy and cheap to install a Grayguns FAT guide rod) on the Legion. If you are interested in the Romeo then the Romeo Elite SAO is a very viable option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.