SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a new standard p229. I want to purchase TFX sights for it. I can see that the front sight is size 6. I cant for the life of me find any kind of size/number on the rear sights. Im assuming size 8. Can someone confirm? Thanks!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,622 Posts
You'll probably need a magnifying glass to find the mark... should be stamped into the sight, and could be "anywhere"! The P229s normally use #8 rear for all calibers, and for .40 S&W use a #6 front, for 9mm or .357 Sig, will normally have #8 front.

·
Registered
19,501 Posts
It's probably 8, but you need to verify. Rear sight changes are 2" per number so being off by a few numbers can have a huge affect on POI.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Rear sights are usually (but not always) stamped on the right side as shown in this pic:

SightHeight.001.jpeg

·
11,622 Posts
Thanks. Ill look harder I guess. I didnt mention that its a 9 mm.
That's why I said "normally". Those stamped numbers are awful small, that's why I recommended a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it looks like Ive got 6's in the front and back. I had read 8's in the rear and 6's up front for p229's but i guess its not standard? I did need a magnifying glass!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes, that is a 6. Shoot your pistol first and see if you like the POI. If you do, replace your sights with those of the same height. If you wish to raise your POI relative to the POA (i.e, bring your groups higher for any given hold), then replacing either the front sight with a shorter one (higher number) or the rear sight with a taller one (also higher number) will do the trick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Ive been shooting a little low, only shot around 400 rounds through it so far. Perhaps going from 6 in front/6 in back to 6 in front/8 in back will get my groups up a little.

·
11,622 Posts
Just to give you a little additional information, that you may be unaware of...

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ive got a new standard p229. I want to purchase TFX sights for it. I can see that the front sight is size 6. I cant for the life of me find any kind of size/number on the rear sights. Im assuming size 8. Can someone confirm? Thanks!
It will come stock with #6/#6
I believe Sig recommends #8/#8 for 9mm
I've run both on #6/#6 and #8/#8 xrays, on P226's and didnt notice any different point of aim out to 20 yards.
I prefer the #8's just because they are a butt-hair taller which gives you a slightly better sight picture.
I replaced my P225 #6/#6 with xray #8/#8

My 320's, p225 also came with #6/#6. My legion p226 came with #8/#8
and my MK25 came with #8/#6. All are 9mm. It's all over the place.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Congrats on the Noice P229...as for the sights number, you can borrow my BCG's if needed...Birth control glasses....he-he. Army issued.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some truglow tfx sights on the way. They come 6 in front and 8 in rear, assuming this will change the way ill need to aim since ive been shooting 6/6. How much of difference will it make? Maybe ill just change the front sight. Advice?

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
SIGs come from the factory with sight heights set for sight picture #3 (in Willards post). That should be the sight picture used irrespective of the numbers on the sights.

If your POI isn't "on" using that sight picture or you want to use a different sight picture, then a sight height change may be required.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
All my 7 229's (all 40) came with #8 rears, three I replaced with #10s to get them sighed in correctly. And they are still on with my 9 & 357 barrels.
As for that sight picture chart, I don't know who made that up but it's even funnier that people buy into it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All my 7 229's (all 40) came with #8 rears, three I replaced with #10s to get them sighed in correctly. And they are still on with my 9 & 357 barrels.
As for that sight picture chart, I don't know who made that up but it's even funnier that people buy into it.
What size front sight do they have? 6, 8, or 10's? Again, I'm just curious if people tend to match the sight numbers front and rear or if having different sight heights (ie. 6 in front, 8 in rear, which i just purchased) would be an issue for me. If so I would return the sights I'm getting for a pair of 8's. I'm assuming it doesn't matter as I would just need to figure out where to line things up when aiming. I've been shooting with all three sights lined up and placing the front site over the bullseye i'm shooting at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts