SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a sig on trade today the gentleman i traded with said that it was a rare model . Not sure if it is or not but when presented with a trade that consisted of my new in the box Sig Scorpion 1911 ( btw only traded it because i had 2 of them) for his Brand new FN FNS40 with night sights and 3 mags and a Sig 220 . He said the 220 was rare and had about 4 rounds through it. Maybe someone here can help me determine if it is indeed rare or i just got an everyday run of the mill great sig. It is marked with a proof mark on either side of the slide the slide is stamped not cnc machine cut The slide also says ( P220 Montage Suisse) it is a 9mm and the barrel also has a proof mark on it , it has no mag release on the left side but on the butt under the mag itself he said it has been his safe queen for many years i hope that is enough details to help you help me determine how common the gun is

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
I'm guessing that since it has the Mag release on the bottom of the handle it is
a Swiss model (possibly a Police issue) from Europe.

I have a Belgium made Browning 380 that has the same type of Mag release.

Bet there are several Forum Members that can give You more information

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry I don't know much about P220, but want I can remember is they are very hard to find in 9mm and common in 45acp. So maybe that is what he meant by rare, also as the other member said heal mag release is europe style. Also mage the rare is a combo of the europe mag and 9mm. Sorry, not much help.

·
Administrator
38,494 Posts
Montage Suisse means the pistol was assembled from German-made parts in the Hämmerli plant in Lenzburg, Switzerland.

The bottom mag release verifies that it was for the european market, most likely in the Swiss market.

It's more rare than common IMO.

Post a picture or two please. And, welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sure would be nice to see some good pictures of that 9mm 220. Is the serial number somewhere between these two?
G105-4XX-HH and G115-066-JB 1977 and 1981

That pistol would be worth more to sell to a collector than to use to punch holes in paper targets I think.

·
Registered
55,691 Posts
rare, they come up for sale on sigforum from time 2 time.

did your trade come with original box, test target & german manual?

pics always help.

welcome from az

·
Administrator
38,494 Posts
Looks in perfect condition - although it looks like the controls are polished - hard to tell from the lighting in the pictures. I take it that it was in the gun rug? Does it have the box, Swiss/German manual and target? Not sure about those grips - I don't recall ever seeing smooth factory grips like that - I could be wrong.

·
Registered
55,691 Posts
it does look good but are those factory grips?

no box, value just went down for many potential buyers.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That looks very nice. Good trade.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum, ctckennard. I am not in the know; someone who is will hopefully find your post and say something. My guess would be is that the 220 is rare on some level. A photo of two would help gather interest.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
What a beauty! I think it was a good trade, box or not (but I guess it depends on your intentions with it, I suppose). I would've done that.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Welcome!

The two marks on either side of the slide that you call proof marks aren't. Well the second one, backward "B" with "P", is the Swiss proof mark. The other mark is the coat of arms of what appears to be the Canton of Geneva (eagle on the left side and a key on the right of the "shield"). Your P220 is from the police department in Geneva. From the serial number the gun may have been made in 1983 and as incar mentioned it was assembled in Switzerland, which is why there are no German proof marks.

Swiss police surplus P220s are not rare although "Montage Suisse" ones are not as common and in the condition that yours is. It may be the lighting, but the finish does not look like any I have seen, and I have never seen polished controls on a Swiss police gun which makes me suspect the gun has been refinished. Are there any importer marks anywhere on the gun, like on the bottom front of the frame? Who was the importer? RCI in Woodville, WA?

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
What a beauty! I think it was a good trade, box or not (but I guess it depends on your intentions with it, I suppose). I would've done that.
I agree! Box or not, I'd be tickled with it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
yes it looks like that was the importer
Then I am even more inclined to think your gun was refinished. The RCI import mark is usually very ugly. Here is mine on my '77 9mm P220, also from the Geneva police, but in a lot rougher condition than yours and made in Germany instead of assembled in Switzerland.

I believe Soopreme also bought a Montage Suisse 9mm P220 recently, but an earlier model than yours and not in as nice a condition in this thread.
http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/23401-p220-9mm-advice.html

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Barrel

The polished Barrel is really the only part that worries me. If the barrel was polished during original assembly then it is good to go. If polished after 1983 then there is not much way to add steel to the lockup end of the barrel. The outside of the muzzle end of the barrel locks up with the barrel bushings inside the Slide under the front sight.

All the other modifications like polished controls and different grips and refinish of the 220 should have no effect on accuracy. I am going to say at the range the groups will be opened up some. :) (I would like to have it as I am sure you are)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think that I would have to agree with others that it looks like yours has been refinished/dressed up with nickel accents and aftermarket grips. It is a nice looking gun. but it if has that low fire count why would it have been refinished. If your looking for a Safe Queen that you want to make money on I would say you could do better else ware. If you like the gun, as I like mine ('84 P220 9mm) Great! I enjoy taking mine to the range as often as I can...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts