SIG Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first trip to the range involved 100 rounds of cheap fredommunitions.com 124 grain FMJ's that resulted in about 10 Failure to Loads. Then 50 Rounds of Blazer 124 grain that resulted in about 2 Failures. I knew it was a brand new gun but I wasn't thrilled with the results.

I made a second voyage today and had pretty good results.

100 Rounds of Winchester White Box 124 Grain.
100 Rounds of Federal American Eagle 124 Grain.
And 50 Rounds of Blazer 124 Grain.

Total failures was 2 and I'm 99% sure they were a result of the snap caps
mixed into the magazine. Both failures had snap caps directly underneath the rounds that failed and I noticed they are slightly more slender than a round.
After I stopped using them I had 150 rounds clear of incident.

I think the biggest difference was being careful not to rest my thumb anywhere near the slide release.

I also had a horrible flinch the first time out but I was very mindful of my "condition" and made steady progress.

What a great feeling gun. I'm very happy with it.

馃帠USAF Veteran
I sure love mine. I shoot Fiocchi 115 GR FMJs without a hitch. I have also fired some Fiocchi 124 gr JHPs with no problems. What a great shooting pistol.

Reactions: Quade

Registered
Never use entry grade ammo in a SIG.

Similar to buying a new BMW and going to Walmart for floor mats to save a few bucks.

Why be frugal on ammo while firing a premier firearm?

馃帠USMC Veteran Premium Member
Why were you mixing snap caps in with live ammo at the range?
Using snap caps or dummy rounds is a training method used to determine if the shooter is anticipating the recoil of the round going off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using snap caps or dummy rounds is a training method used to determine if the shooter is anticipating the recoil of the round going off.
Exactly. And I'm bad. I'm used to shooting 1911 45 ACP's and due to the weight, there's much less snap.

Whenever the snap cap loads you can see the flinch all alone in it's ugliness.

As far as cheap Ammo... are you referring to the freedom munitions stuff?
I bought a bunch of 45 ACP and no longer have a 45. I traded it to a friend and that's what he had. I didn't realize until I was at the range. Lesson learned.

Registered
Absolutely the correct way to find out if you flinch.^^^^ Just watch that thumb placement, and you will fall in love with the SP2022, IMHO it is a best buy.:D:cool:

Registered
HellaBuggin, glad the 2nd trip went better. just need to watch those snap-caps! I have a 2022-40 that has seen 4 range trips, with 400 rounds. Only had one FTF and a mag. drop, believe both my fault. Just put a 357Sig barrel in it last night and will go the range this afternoon to put some of those through it. So far, I sure like this gun! Enjoy!! Want 500 through it before making it my 'truck' gun.

Registered
Sorry to hear about the failures with your SP2022. Only thing I can suggest (if you haven't already done it) is to clean and lube the pistol and clean the magazines. My SP2022 had some type of packing grease on it and the magazines.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I've been to the range many times now with the 2022 and can't remember the last failure. I think part of the problem was the above mentioned snap caps, partly my grip and partly just a new gun. It's had about 1500 rounds through it now and it works like butter.

-Mark

Registered
Well, I've been to the range many times now with the 2022 and can't remember the last failure. I think part of the problem was the above mentioned snap caps, partly my grip and partly just a new gun. It's had about 1500 rounds through it now and it works like butter.

-Mark
Great your SP2022 is well broken in. Keep the slides greased, if it shines put grease on it. Grease what slides and oil what turns. You are GTG. Save now for a P226 in 9mm now as a Christmas present for your wife;);):D

Registered
I Love My 2022 FDE, I Have found that I Like shooting My 938 & 238, looking to get a 320 Compact, I do wish Sig had a 2022 compact or maybe a Compact grip swap & Mag Suite, What a Fantastic setup that would be !! The 2022 is not a Conceal piece , only in a Full Holster , But OOOOhhh What a Piece!! I Tend to Run the Good ammo, Mind you not a Sushi diet, I Have about 2000 rounds through him and it just gets better, Pretty much can handle anything , What a smooth operator!!!, cant go wrong with the Gun Or the Price,
Cuz its a Sig!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.