SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to arrange some range time with my wife, and I think she did really well. Today we worked on being able to draw your weapon from a holster and developing a good presentation with dry firing. Then we shifted to live fire with just bringing the gun up from the lowered position and squeezing off a round. I'm posting a quick video and pic of her work. She's never done anything like this, so I thought this was a really good first time out. She is shooting at about five yards.

Note: Can't seem to load the video so I posted a still and a pic of the target. She was not taking a lot of time. She got five shots off in about 12 seconds.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a shield, which she picked out on her own. When I introduced her to the concept of defense and carrying a gun she was eager to get her own gun. Prior to that she'd always been around guns, but never thought of carrying. She's a country girl who grew up, got married young to her HS sweetheart (who later died as the result of a heart attack), had kids, went to school to get her degree, then went back to school to get her RN degree, but although she grew up around guns, and her husband always took the boys hunting, she never carried. Well, she and I changed that.

I let her shoot what I had at the time, which was a G17, G26 and a M&P 45 5". She thought she was going to take my G26 from me, but after shooting all of them she said she liked the G17 best, and the 26 least, so we rented a Shield, and she was hooked. Loves it! I taught her the basics of how to shoot a pistol then, which was roughly four years ago, but yesterday was the first time we actually got the opportunity to work some advanced training at a range like this. She said she feels much more confident and capable now, but understands we just walked in the door. She wants more!

This picture, however, is one where I was demonstrating to her that she isn't so bent out of shape as she felt she was. She said that she felt like she was bent over and sticking her butt out a foot, so I had to take the pic to show her what she actually looked like...which is why she's smiling...but this is the typical stance she became comfortable with and how she actually looked when shooting. Needless to say she was well pleased with herself. ;-)

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And your relationship survived you instructing her. You are a Jedi Master.
LOL! Yeah...we had fun, and it was safe. I love this stuff, and I love teaching, but she was a better student than I am a teacher, I'm afraid. For some reason she absolutely adores me, but I ain't askin no questions. :lol: I took the money and ran, brother!

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
The Shield is a great little gun. The grip is fantastic , they are reliable , and the price won't break the bank.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The Shield is a great little gun. The grip is fantastic , they are reliable , and the price won't break the bank.
Yes, for the price they are hard to beat. I recently retired my Solo, so I have been carrying a Shield a bit more.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Looking good. I shoot with Mrs. Flash every week and she works on her shooting every time. It's good to shoot with the S.O.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Good stuff GCBHM, getting the family involved in your hobbies is the best. Wife and step daughter enjoy the range and the telescopes. I'm the stick in the mud due to med issues but I may finally get out and adjust (collimate) the 10" this afternoon.

Reactions: GCBHM and Blu

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff GCBHM, getting the family involved in your hobbies is the best. Wife and step daughter enjoy the range and the telescopes. I'm the stick in the mud due to med issues but I may finally get out and adjust (collimate) the 10" this afternoon.
This is a way of life for me, and I'm working to make it so for her. The ability to defend one's self is paramount, as I see it, and we all ought to at least become proficient enough to operate these things smoothly at a range. We may never know how we will react under the pressure of actual confrontation, but our odds increase significantly if we train to that level at a minimum. :D

Reactions: tower3

·
Registered
15 Posts
We went to the range today. Wife took her 1911 Fastback and her Sig P226 to check and make sure it was still shooting true since we changed the sights yesterday . Wife has said in no uncertain terms that she likes the 1911 better than the P226.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We went to the range today. Wife took her 1911 Fastback and her Sig P226 to check and make sure it was still shooting true since we changed the sights yesterday . Wife has said in no uncertain terms that she likes the 1911 better than the P226.
I believe mine does as well, although the 1911 does seem to matter to her. The P226 grip is considerably wider, which I think makes a real difference.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hah! My wife also laid claim to the 1911 a few years ago

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was finally able to arrange some range time with my wife, and I think she did really well. Today we worked on being able to draw your weapon from a holster and developing a good presentation with dry firing. Then we shifted to live fire with just bringing the gun up from the lowered position and squeezing off a round. I'm posting a quick video and pic of her work. She's never done anything like this, so I thought this was a really good first time out. She is shooting at about five yards.

Note: Can't seem to load the video so I posted a still and a pic of the target. She was not taking a lot of time. She got five shots off in about 12 seconds.
She did well.

That is a real thing! Whenever I am instructing the missus I try very hard to only correct one thing at a time. Otherwise I am sure it will start to rankle. At some point in the near future I need to have someone else instruct her as I feel like it is just better coming from someone who you don't have to sleep with at night :lol: Plus I'm no expert.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Knowing I wouldn't be any sort of qualified instructor when I first took the girlfriend to an indoor range I engaged a good friend who is very very skilled in both firearms and instructing others.

I took a seat outside the actual range, watching patiently while they were going through the schooling For about $50 plus ammo and range time I thought it was a great investment or at least a way to save the relationship. :)

She did quite well, enjoyed herself and most importantly learned so much in a relatively short time especially about safe handling of a weapon.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Knowing I wouldn't be any sort of qualified instructor when I first took the girlfriend to an indoor range I engaged a good friend who is very very skilled in both firearms and instructing others.

I took a seat outside the actual range, watching patiently while they were going through the schooling For about $50 plus ammo and range time I thought it was a great investment or at least a way to save the relationship. :)

She did quite well, enjoyed herself and most importantly learned so much in a relatively short time especially about safe handling of a weapon.
Several years ago I sold one of my Glock 19s to a friend from HS. She and her husband posted they were looking to buy a gun, so I contacted them privately and offered one of mine to them. I know they're good people, so there was no issue with that. The husband admitted he knew little about handguns, so he asked to have a little tutoring for he and his wife. I met them at the range, gave both of them a basic course on the gun, how to handle, clean and maintain it, then we went to the line so both of them could shoot it.

I let them both shoot at least 50 rounds each, and instructed them before and during the session. It wasn't a "professional" course, but both walked away with a good understanding of basic firearm safety having the experience of shooting the gun under instruction. I am not a certified firearms instructor, but I am considering it. After my session with my wife, she thanked me for being patient with her, and for teaching her how to shoot. Needless to say I was pleased. :D

Reactions: JWA

·
Registered
897 Posts
You did well GCBHM---there's nothing more important than firearms safety so starting them out in a relaxed manner with a trusted friend worked well for all concerned. :thumbsu:

Because my girl had never fired anything like a "real" weapon (she's a marvel to behold at laser tag :)) I thought it best her first experience be with someone who was not me. I'll never know if that was the right approach but we too are still madly in love. :)

There's just something about trying to instruct a SO that doesn't work well for me, at least not in handling firearms. When we go to a range now I'm not looking after her, concerned she's not being safe or careful---I know she appreciates being independent in this endeavor.

So anyway---good on ya for having that patience and enjoying the range in the company of your wife----I wish I had that same patience. :)

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You did well GCBHM---there's nothing more important than firearms safety so starting them out in a relaxed manner with a trusted friend worked well for all concerned. :thumbsu:

Because my girl had never fired anything like a "real" weapon (she's a marvel to behold at laser tag :)) I thought it best her first experience be with someone who was not me. I'll never know if that was the right approach but we too are still madly in love. :)

There's just something about trying to instruct a SO that doesn't work well for me, at least not in handling firearms. When we go to a range now I'm not looking after her, concerned she's not being safe or careful---I know she appreciates being independent in this endeavor.

So anyway---good on ya for having that patience and enjoying the range in the company of your wife----I wish I had that same patience. :)
That was a smart decision, in my book.

Reactions: JWA
1 - 20 of 20 Posts