SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
357 Sig at well over 1500 FPS using Longshot at book maximum and fired from my 229.:cool:

20170414_111204[1].jpg

I found another keeper! All shots in the string were over 1500 fps but this was the highest at 1587

Also my new Dan Wesson performed flawlessly, unlike my Kimber. :(

20170414_091811[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dang 1587 !! that's scooting right along .. how was the recoil ?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Nice!! Love the 357 SIG, fired from a 229.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what'd the target look like, m o a b???
Friday was chrono day only. I had several new recipes to try, including Longshot, Blue Dot and BE86 all in different calibers.

I'll have to look at my notes and see which loads were most consistent and then make some for target duty.

Recoil wasn't bad because if the light projectile and a large(ish) pistol. It wasn't until I tried a full house (9 grains Longshot and 155 grain XTP in 40 S&W) round in the 239. Recoil was brutal and I gave up any hopes if shooting them out of my 239.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I also load LONGSHOT in the 357 SIG and it's a beast for sure.

I'm .3 under max and it's a really nice shooting cartridge with the 125 Speer TMJ or Gold Dot and my low cost plinker: the Rainier 124 HP. (Using a .8 gr under max load.)

Those velocities are impressive.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So. Turns out that all isn't as rosie as I had first thought. :(

This past weekend I spent some time prepping brass for it's return to ammo status and I found these :eek:

I was also testing Blue Dot powder and might have over done it just a little bit.
The results above come from my 357 tests using 11 grains of Blue Dot and a 124 grain projectile. I better keep under 11 in the future when using Blue Dot in 357.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Wow.

Haven't ever seen bulged primers, not even with my rifles :eek:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Looks like you almost found out how much powder it takes to vent the primers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So. Turns out that all isn't as rosie as I had first thought. :(

This past weekend I spent some time prepping brass for it's return to ammo status and I found these :eek:

I was also testing Blue Dot powder and might have over done it just a little bit.
The results above come from my 357 tests using 11 grains of Blue Dot and a 124 grain projectile. I better keep under 11 in the future when using Blue Dot in 357.
I don't have my calculator with me, but my impression is that you are way more than a bit overloaded. At least .5 grain too much for safety. Sharp edges around the firing pin indent is at the edge in my opinion.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I've never run across anyone who was ever disappointed with their DW. I've got to get one. Nice work, btw.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alliant has a warning out about using Blue Dot in the .357 Magnum and 125 grain bullets, but not in the Sig.

They also have NO reloading data for Blue Dot and the .357 Sig on their website.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Hmmmmmm
You're absolutely right Flash. I used "alternate sources" and found them to be less than safe.

·
Registered
17,769 Posts
The good news, Slayer, is that you emerged unscathed, so you got away with it.

I've known a couple of people over the years who didn't get away with it.

So, it becomes a learning experience rather than a catastrophe, and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alliant has a warning out about using Blue Dot in the .357 Magnum and 125 grain bullets, but not in the Sig.

They also have NO reloading data for Blue Dot and the .357 Sig on their website.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Hmmmmmm

I too had concerns over the .357 mag 125gn warning with blue dot. so I called alliant . don't recall who I spook to I think the gents name was Steve. grilled him thoroughly and he said that warning did not have bearing on the .357 sig 125 gn round. don't have my notes handy. IIRC I loaded 5 rds at XXXgn of blue dot behind 124gn xtp cci 500 sp @ 1.140col 1460avg. from my p226. felt nice and stout. I also discovered the same molten looking primers.

nope blue dot does not like hot loading in the .357sig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts