SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cleaned and lubed it last night, 1st range outing today, 124 rounds, no issues.

Cast FP and WFN, XTPs, Golden Sabers, Speer TMJ, and 30 rounds of 40S&W all went bang, no hangups, no feed issues. POA was COM at 15yds, and most 10mm rounds shot low which was typical for 10mm at this short distance, but the 40S&W were spot on.

In the middle of one string, I paused to adjust my brass catcher, and I noticed the recoil spring guide rod protruding a bit, but after clearing the gun and racking the slide it settled back into place. I never noticed it while shooting that magfull, and it caused no issues or failures whatsoever, but I'll be keeping an eye on it. I'm very pleased with this acquisition.

Line Font Engineering Parallel Pattern
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm beginning to think these X10's are beating their guide rods to pieces. Looking at your picture I would at least email Sig and ask them if there are reports of guide rod issues with the X10. I know another poster a week or so ago was having issues with his, and I cant recall exactly but he may have had a guide rod issues of some type as well as his magazine problem.

I wonder if Sig under spring these?

Either was it would be an easy fix to revise the spring rates and/or reinforce the guide rods.

TXPO

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
^^^More and more are disagreeing with that.
But I'm still hoping... and waiting.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I field stripped the gun to investigate the condition of the recoil spring and guide rod, and I found nothing unusual. So I started reviewing pics to see why the GR stuck out, as it made no sense to me. Well here's why the guide rod stuck out: it seems I had a failure to fully go into battery. I never noticed it out of battery, but I did see the GR sticking out; as I mentioned, it happened as I stopped in mid-string to adjust my brass catcher, but it definitely would not have fired if I had pulled the trigger while the slide was out of battery.

Wood Font Gas Metal Rectangle

·
Registered
543 Posts
2 days to send to SIG CS, 1 day repair and 2 days back to you. I wouldn't recommend shooting a 10mm with a guide rod like that. My guide rod's condition is worse but it kept shooting while loosing accuracy. When I got home for the clean up I discovered why my accuracy was getting worse.

Another member has an exact same scenario as mine and he sent out his gun to SIG for repair. Coincidentally I took time before sending out mine and both our XTENs arrived at SIG and was sent out the same time. Q and repair at SIG must be happy with that.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Well here's why the guide rod stuck out: it seems I had a failure to fully go into battery. I never noticed it out of battery, but I did see the GR sticking out; as I mentioned, it happened as I stopped in mid-string to adjust my brass catcher, but it definitely would not have fired if I had pulled the trigger while the slide was out of battery.
Interesting. Next time I have a failure to load a cartridge I will check the guide rod just to see what's happening there.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inspection revealed nothing unusual with the recoil spring and guide rod. In fact, I compared it with my 40S&W P320 and observed no significant differences. I'm GTG.
I wouldn't recommend shooting a 10mm with a guide rod like that. My guide rod's condition is worse but it kept shooting while loosing accuracy. When I got home for the clean up I discovered why my accuracy was getting worse.
Household hardware Font Auto part Fastener Metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts