SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting Walmart ammo as it's easy and cheap, but my new gun ejects 115 grain into the Reflex sight, and Walmart has no 124 grain.

I have been using the federal aluminum, and it performs well, and not too dirty, and I don't reload so aluminum is fine. Obviously I am not an ammo snob, I shoot if it's reliable, not too dirty, and doesn't hurt the gun (no steel case) I shoot 300-500 rounds a week, and my wife 100-200 rounds...an't afford top shelf, but I don't mind spending a little more if it's worth it.

The question is I'm switching to online so I can get 124 grain at a reasonable price (walmart's near me are 115 gr only). I am leaning towards the Speer lawman (heard good things) or Federal Eagle (have used in other guns with no problems), but I have seen Armscor on a couple of sites. I don't recall ever hearing about Armscor, is it any good?

Any other advice?

I am sure there are plenty of other range ammo threads, but hoping to get a more direct answer to my particular situation.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I buy whatever is cheap for training ammo, but now that the Great Ammo Shortage is over, I do stick to brass (and have stocked up on it so that I will never be affected by another GAS).

I like Freedom Munitions, LAX, and Georgia Arms for inexpensive, quality remans.

For factory, Target Sports has low prices and often ships free (and fast) if you buy bulk.

I can endorse Speer Lawman and Federal Eagle, but I've never used Armscor.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
As much as you're shooting, certainly buying case quantity is easy to justify.

I generally use Target Sports. Cases ship for free. I really like Winchester Nato 124. (I have a case that will be here Wednsday)

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/?

SGAmmo is another favorite for a lot of people.

·
Registered
23,611 Posts
Maybe try some faster 115 gr.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If I would shoot that much each week, I would have had a progressive press set up in the garage and just roll my own.
Cheap range ammo that I used and turned out to be flawless was from Freedom Munitions. Their retail store is about 10 mins. from my job site so it's easy to stop by after work and pick up some boxes.
Got some Speer Lawman .357SIG from Target Sports USA recently for a decent price.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been shooting Walmart ammo as it's easy and cheap, but my new gun ejects 115 grain into the Reflex sight, and Walmart has no 124 grain.

I have been using the federal aluminum, and it performs well, and not too dirty, and I don't reload so aluminum is fine. Obviously I am not an ammo snob, I shoot if it's reliable, not too dirty, and doesn't hurt the gun (no steel case) I shoot 300-500 rounds a week, and my wife 100-200 rounds...an't afford top shelf, but I don't mind spending a little more if it's worth it.

The question is I'm switching to online so I can get 124 grain at a reasonable price (walmart's near me are 115 gr only). I am leaning towards the Speer lawman (heard good things) or Federal Eagle (have used in other guns with no problems), but I have seen Armscor on a couple of sites. I don't recall ever hearing about Armscor, is it any good?

Any other advice?

I am sure there are plenty of other range ammo threads, but hoping to get a more direct answer to my particular situation.

Thanks in advance
Sometimes you can manipulate your ejection by just choosing a different weight recoil spring. Might just do the trick.... Or roll your own. 9mm, as with most strait wall cases is pretty easy to reload. Initial investment can be as much as $400, but it will last forever. And it's quite therapeutic too :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked into reloading, but with 9mm, there isn't a whole lot of savings, and if I used my time for reloading I wouldn't have the time for shooting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly, steel-cased won't "hurt" your gun as much as it's hyped to. AKs have been eating up steel-cased for decades now, and there's really no definitive evidence that it "wears extractors faster" as some people claim. Most of the issues with imported steel-cased ammo are with inconsistent powder charges and the bimetal jacket causing excess barrel wear. I've personally fired about 2000 rounds of Winchester USA Forged steel-cased copper-jacketed ammo through my TEC-9 and had better reliability with it than with Federal/AE and WWB, both of which are recommended in the manual.

I've had good luck with Armscor .22LR rounds, and I believe their ammo is made by RIA (Rock Island Armory), so if you can find it for a good price, I would give their 9mm a whirl. As mentioned before, Winchester USA Forged has given me awesome results in a few different handguns, despite being steel cased, as has their standard white box in everything but my TEC-9. I usually can't find Federal or American Eagle for a good price (most places locally try and charge 40 freaking dollars for a box of AE 357SIG). Maybe look at Sig for their range ammo as well.

Honestly though, as some people mentioned, reloading is where the real pennies get saved. I personally reload my 9mm for like 8.5c a round which is about half the price of bulk purchases of premade steel-cased ammo. Once I get my boolit moulds in the mail, the cost will go down to about 5-6c a round. Granted, I do not have to factor in the price of a press into my equation as I have access to a family members, but it is definitely something to look into if you plan on continuing to shoot that much ammo on a regular basis. Plus, if you decide you want to load special competition ammunition, you have a much wider range of things you can do as far as powder and boolit choices.

Sorry for the wall of text :s

·
Registered
88 Posts
Take a look ammoseek, it can help you price out the ammo you need. Freedom and LAX are great for the range. I've had issues with PPU and Geco, both with overall length. The point with that is that I saved a few pennies only to have dollars worth of ammo that's unusable.

Having said that, in your case I'd tune the gun first. If it's strictly a range gun, that may not be a priority but if it's used for anything else, you have a problem that isn't being corrected, it's being mitigated.

I don't reload but I do save my brass. There are folks in my community that will do batches for less than what new costs but this is risky and strictly for the range.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I probably should have added, the Range I use doesn't allow reloads/hand loads.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I looked into reloading, but with 9mm, there isn't a whole lot of savings, and if I used my time for reloading I wouldn't have the time for shooting.

That is a good point that I overlooked. I don't reload 223/556 for the same reason. And i don't own a 9mm anything. I started reloaded exactly because the ammo I wanted was rare and expensive. 300BLK was $1.50 a round when I first built one so I started reloading it. Then 357 MAG during 'The Great Ammo Shortage of 2013' was unuptanium as well as 357SIG, 40S&W, 10mm. Now I don't care who has it in stock or why can't i find any... screw that.:p

·
Registered
552 Posts
And I bet they won't allow you to keep your brass either. Because they are scooping it up and reloading it or selling it. Grrr :mad:

A range is exactly where you should shoot reloads. That's just stupid. I would find another range. But thats me :D

I shoot in the woods, an old abandoned Army Camp. Me and my buddies got it set up just right. Ranges are to anal for me.. especially that one you go to.:p

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
A range is exactly where you should shoot reloads. That's just stupid. I would find another range. But thats me :D
I hear you. For training I go with cheap remans, and for HD and carry I only use factory.

I suspect that the range in question also rents guns. If so, they probably don't want them getting kaboomed by some bubba's out-of-spec or overcharged homebrew reloads, or by squibs.

Also, faulty reloads can induce stoppages, and bad things can happen when ignorant people try to deal with a gun that suddenly stops working, instead of setting it down and asking the RSO for help.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts

There is less savings in 9MM than any other caliber you can reload, but even there, there's a large savings. I reload 9MM for $5.35/50 at current component prices in my area. Considering that Mrs. Flash and I each shoot around 100 rounds a week, I'm saving around $16.00/week, which is $800.00/year. I don't shoot on vacation. That's enough money to buy a complete reloading outfit and still pocket over half of it.

I shot at a place like that for a couple of years. I went to the store and bought 4 boxes of 9MM factory ammo. I then got a few boxes of the same brand/caliber out of the trash at the range. I filled the empty boxes with my reloads and when the range folks checked my ammo to make sure it wasn't reloads, they got to see the factory boxes.

They must've looked at the same 4 boxes around 100 times. I've still got them in the closet in case of future need.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hear you. For training I go with cheap remans, and for HD and carry I only use factory.

I suspect that the range in question also rents guns. If so, they probably don't want them getting kaboomed by some bubba's out-of-spec or overcharged homebrew reloads, or by squibs.

Also, faulty reloads can induce stoppages, and bad things can happen when ignorant people try to deal with a gun that suddenly stops working, instead of setting it down and asking the RSO for help.
Buddy had a squib the other day, but unlike others that I have encountered, this one made NO sound. we never heard the primmer. He racked the slide, empty ejected and let it go, thankfully the slide didn't go into battery because the squib dislodged the bullet just into the lands not allowing the next round to fully chamber. If it would have gone a half inch more ...:eek: I suspected it missed the powder drop.

Anyway, Sorry OP! I got off topic Bad..:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.