SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm picking up a P220 next week. Normally, its not exactly the type I'd jump on, a fairly new production example in a gold anodized finish, FDE grips, black nitron slide, and apparently, according to my dealer friends, the most important feature: a mil-spec rail instead of Sig's standard proprientary one. Im jumping on this one mostly because I want a 220, and its the only one in decent condition at a decent price at any of the gun stores in my area right now. The gun stores are literally empty of both guns and ammo.

Now, to me, the whole thing is moot, because I don't plan on mounting anything to the pistol at all, hence why my usual first choice in a Sig pistol is almost always older production rail-less models. The question I have is what's the big hype around the mil-spec rail? I have a P226 with Sig's supposedly proprietary rail on it, seem to have no trouble clamping on accessories meant for a picatinny rail, done just out of curiosity. What am I missing here?

Also curious, seeing as Sig has seemed to settle with their proprietary rail, for whom, and for what purpose would they make special frames for? Are these rare, as my friends seem to suggest? Does it command a premium over other examples with no rail or a Sig proprietary rail?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Have no idea.
Mos likely it is a Special Dealer model or promotion like the Lipsey P220 models among others
There is a Gold and Blue model P238 out there too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The P226 MK25 and P22x Combat (this is the one you’re describing) models have 1913 rails. They don’t really command a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,818 Posts
As Prolitheus mentions, the "Combat" sounds like what you are getting.

I have a P226 Combat, which is my avatar, and at the same time I got it, I was bidding on a P220 model too. I think the "anodized" version will command a better resale value than the CeraKote version.

The "other" consideration when comparing the two rail versions, is depending on holster, one made for a "Picatinny" spec rail will normally accept the propriety Sig rail, but not necessarily vise versa!

Basically the "hype" was "standardization" a requirement of the military, so "bolt on accessories" would fit a variety of railed weapon systems. In the case of pistols, things like lights and laser modules, which would also work on long arms too!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
That police trade looks like a good deal. The other one may not be a “combat” 220 if it doesn’t have the coated internals and chrome lined barrel, it may be one of those limited release combat frame and nitron slide models. I don’t think you gain anything with the 1913 rail. My surefire light with picatinny mount locks on to the Sig rails tight.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
My Combat family under two different lightning conditions.
The second is more natural, having been taken next to a window with diffused sun light.

Reactions: 14DIAN and Pazzo

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,818 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
I've seen some versions with CeraKote Dark Earth/Desert with Black slide and Picatinny frames, and listed as a 220PR-45-DB, like this one https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874453956
The "Desert Black", 220PR-45-DB, was initially released with the same anodized finish as the Combat. The "DB" was a lower-cost version of the Combat that was a Davidson's distributor exclusive. For a while, the were selling dirt cheap. After a while, probably after SIG used up the anodized frames and still had orders to fill, SIG switched to a different finish. Most of those appeared to have some kind of PVD finish coating that some of the last P220 Combats had, but I don't doubt the they did some in FDE Cerakote. Lord knows SIG bought the equivalent of every gallon of FDE Cerakote on the planet.

Before SIG stopped making the P229 Combat, they also switched over to a good-looking finish on it that looked like the same PVD finish I've seen on the last batch or two of the P220 Combat. On the P229s that I've seen with that finish, SIG also stopped machining the scallop on the vertical forward edge of the frame dust cover, to further reduce cost to make those. We've had at least one member that was surprised by receiving one of the last, cheaper P229 Combats when he thought he was getting one like mine. I think he found another one like mine and bought it too.

Reactions: Willard
1 - 10 of 10 Posts