SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for the summer backcountry season here in CO.

Up until this year I used a Sig SP2022 in 357sig in the back country. Since getting my P320 my SP2022 main stay has zero range time :( and the P320 is what I'm going to be using in the backcountry. In a perfect world I would have a very nice 357mag, 44mag or 10mm, but thats not going to be happening any time soon.

My main concerns are running into unpleasant bipeds or the off chance of a quadruped. The chances of running into either are slim, but I would rather be safe :)

My bench mark for the round I would carry is the Speer 357mag

Velocity(in feet per second)
Muzzle
50 yards
100 yards

Energy (in foot pounds)
Muzzle
50 yards
100 yards
I've settled on continuing to use 357sig and would pair with my P320 Carry setup. I may add a Springer 140mm or 170mm base plate to a Full Size mag for a few extra rounds. I like the 357sig round for many reasons including the bottle next design for reliable feeding and the ballistics. I'm only looking at solid non expanding rounds (FMJ or similar).

Underwood is currently what I'm leaning towards. They have a very nice selection of options. I'm currently leaning towards the basic FMJ.

They also have some interesting lighter weight bullets using flutes. The lighter weight fluted bullets would have no issue with a biped, but I wonder how effective they would be with a quadruped.

Here are some examples:
https://underwoodammo.com/product-category/handgun-ammo/357-sig/

357 Sig 125 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50
  • Muzzle Velocity:1475 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 604 ft. lbs
357 Sig 115 Grain Xtreme Penetrator
  • Muzzle Velocity:1450 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 537 ft. lbs
357 Sig 90 Grain Xtreme Defender
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 578 ft. lbs.
  • Penetration: 17.5 inches
357 Sig 65 Grain Xtreme Defender
  • Muzzle Velocity: 2100 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 636 ft. lbs.
  • Penetration: 17.5 inches

I'm sure people have thoughts :cool:, but I would also like to hear if people have used Underwood in the P320 and how it worked.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can't give you any useful information, but I went to the range today and left my 320 at home, and took my Shield and 40SW 2022, but with a 9mm barrel only. Just thought I'd mention since it's the opposite of what you've been doin lol.

Curious though, how do you carry in backcountry? I assume you have a pack with hip-belts removing that area as an option?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Until underwood jacked there prices up to buffalo bore level they were my preferred defensive ammo . Now I'm done with them . Been loading all practice ammo so I'll start rolling my own hot rod hp ammo too. I don't see a plus side to the extreme line of bullets specially in the woods and I will give them a year or so and like they did with barne X bullet and one other over priced bullet they will be looking for the next hot specialty bullet to try out .

I have shot a lot of there 9mm and 40sw ammo offer the years mostly the "bonded " speer gold dot but enough xtp and nosler bullets they use to like them as a bullet choice .

I tested there 135gr 40 and 1412fps from my p320c was an average but prefer the 155gr at 1318fps or the nosler 150gr bullet they use . Seem like the 155gr GD is a no show any more from underwood . To bad as it holds its own to the 158gr 357mag loads in a 4" revolver

Never had an interest in the 357sig do to the fact that it runs out of steam with a 125gr bullet . No heavier bullet power staying power !! .

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't give you any useful information, but I went to the range today and left my 320 at home, and took my Shield and 40SW 2022, but with a 9mm barrel only. Just thought I'd mention since it's the opposite of what you've been doin lol.

Curious though, how do you carry in backcountry? I assume you have a pack with hip-belts removing that area as an option?
I use a Safariland 6004. With an ALS holster, pouch for bear spray and my PLB. The drop adaptor is a little stiff but it works well.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.