SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing a little thinking out loud.

I was looking at the Sig site and saw that they have .380auto mags. The mags are listed as P250/P320. Not that a double stack .380auto is even on my list.
Still, that got me to thinking.

Could one take a P250 SC .380auto barrel and drop it into a P320 SC kit?

The .380auto mags should fit with no issue.
The ejector on a 9mm or 40/357sig slide should be fine because the .380 is just a short 9mm.

Would the barrel fit?
Would a 9mm recoil spring be to heavy?
Would a 40/357sig recoil spring be to heavy?
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
556 Posts

The .380auto mags should fit with no issue.
The ejector on a 9mm or 40/357sig slide should be fine because the .380 is just a short 9mm.

Would the barrel fit?
Has anyone tried this?
Interesting. I've always been curious to get my hands on one of those P250 .380 just to see how it handles.

Would the barrel fit?
-I don't see why not. You've said before that you run the 9mm barrel in the 40SW slide correct? When the 380 models were around, I don't recall hearing anything about compatibility issues like the 45.

-Maybe, but I never thought the 9mm spring was all the heavy. Guess you could opt for one that's been broken in for a few years.

-I think it definitely would. My 40 springs are very noticeably stiffer than my 9 springs - which I like but it might be a problem.

·
Registered
812 Posts
No.

Would the barrel fit?
--- The outside diameter of a 9mm barrel is substantially larger than a .380 barrel.
--- A .380 recoil spring is markedly thinner and has fewer coils than a 9mm recoil spring.
--- see above
Has anyone tried this?
--- The absence of barrel fit would preclude the conversion from working.

Below is a photo showing a .380 barrel in a 9mm slide and recoil springs for a .380 (top) and 9mm (bottom).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
gc70 Well explained . My wife has a or had a p250sc 380 and a 9mm kit . Simple not practical to try to mix the 380 and 9mm parts . Don't for get the 4oz weight difference . has to come out of the slide and barrel .

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to Sig about it and they said they don't have parts for sale and the .380 did horrible in the market.

It was a fun thought exercise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting thought, I have a G42,shoots great, accurate and if you pocket carry with a pocket holster, I forget it is even there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tried this tonight. It did not work. The P250 .380 recoil spring when it starts to compress, will shoot out the front of the P320. The recoil spring assemblies are different between the two guns. That was the main problem I was able to see.
When I first looked at the P250. The .380 was the last caliber I would have thought to purchase. It wasn't until I started to look for a gun that would fit my Mother and my Sister that I looked into the .380. I managed to get a .380 kit from a fellow sigtalk member who only wanted the FCU. All I could say was the P250 is under rated, the P250 .380 is Realy under rated. I really like it. Everyone who has shot it, has wanted to buy one for themselves. It is a great little gun. Love it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Radio There a pile of real good 380 single stacks in the market along with that glock well !!! werd grip angle an all .

BikerScout Your right , the p250sc 380 is a sweet little shooter and with a 15 round mags I heck of accurate and fast little shooter that the meekest and mildest people can enjoy quickly quickly .

It was the first center fire handgun my grandson shot when he was 9 and he took to it like a pro . Now with a 9mm kit on it my older daughter has it and carry's it or a cw9 . Note the same type trigger pull and grip angle between these two .

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just got a 380 250 for the fcu.I already had the same gun love it .Now I have a 380 exchange kit to sell. Don't need two.Have not used mine since I got 2 9mm kits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts