SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago I bought a .40cal p229. I already have a p225a1, that I shoot quite well, but felt the need to buy a 40 cal handgun because the world around me was going bat-sh**t crazy. With all the riots and panic buying the 9mm ammo was nearly impossible to find. Although I have a healthy supply of 9mm ammo, I was thinking down the road. I bought the p229 as kind of a backup.
I’ve seen some of your range targets and they reflect some very skilled shooters. Mine didn’t look like those, more like someone was pattering there new shotgun.

I installed a short reset trigger kit and painted the front sight with some green paint from a hobby shop because the night sights are dead. I pay particular attention to my shooting method and the groups are shrinking.

This gun has the German frame with the legacy slide. It also has a short reach trigger. Was the short reach trigger standard on this pistol? If you had this gun would you change to a standard trigger? My p225a1 has a standard trigger. The thin trigger feels a little funny.

70583B3E-EF32-422A-B611-05371F550C3C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
After my first taste of the skinny trigger I swap them out before even hitting the range.
Every one I have except the Legion came with a skinny trigger.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I replaced the skinny triggers with regular on my P226 but that's my preference. Nothing's wrong with the short reach trigger.

My P229s have regular triggers when I bought (used) them.

·
Registered
14,727 Posts
About two months ago I bought a .40cal p229. I already have a p225a1, that I shoot quite well, but felt the need to buy a 40 cal handgun because the world around me was going bat-sh**t crazy. With all the riots and panic buying the 9mm ammo was nearly impossible to find. Although I have a healthy supply of 9mm ammo, I was thinking down the road. I bought the p229 as kind of a backup.
I’ve seen some of your range targets and they reflect some very skilled shooters. Mine didn’t look like those, more like someone was pattering there new shotgun.

I installed a short reset trigger kit and painted the front sight with some green paint from a hobby shop because the night sights are dead. I pay particular attention to my shooting method and the groups are shrinking.

This gun has the German frame with the legacy slide. It also has a short reach trigger. Was the short reach trigger standard on this pistol? If you had this gun would you change to a standard trigger? My p225a1 has a standard trigger. The thin trigger feels a little funny.

View attachment 373920
welcome from Texas.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,478 Posts
In the "early" German manufacturing period, most came with the "standard" trigger, which in most cases was "serrated" also! I know, that I swapped out the triggers on several of my PDs, P226 9mms in the '90s, for those of us with smaller hands, and/or shorter fingers. I'm not sure when Sig started installing them as OEM, at the factory.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, I don't have stubby sausage fingers like Willard admitted to, but the short reach trigger I believe as implemented for smaller handed shooters. Any weapon I purchased had the short reach removed immediately. My duty weapon had the standard and I felt better and more confident shooting with the same type/size trigger. But, little peoples mileage may vary.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Of the Sigs that I shoot (2 P226s and 2 P229s), only 1 has a short trigger. I haven't compared shooting with the short trigger versus the standard trigger. Guess I need to schedule some range days with guns with both types of triggers and see if I can tell the difference and if so, swap out triggers to all be the same.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
You also might want to consider trying a Grayguns or Armorycraft dual adjustable straight trigger. I've had the standard and short reach but like the straight trigger the best.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Standard trigger for me on my P226 in 357Sig. I do like the SRT on it, but definitely the standard trigger.

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
To give credit where credit is due & I do not recall which member posted on SIG Talk that he cuts/grinds/blends the SReachT lever shorter approximately 3/16" as not to pinch his finger or glove between the lever tip & the trigger guard.

GGI curved dual adjustable in my P220(2),226(2),227(2),228(1),229(2) DA/SA & SAO's working stock pistols.

(GGI curved dual adj trigger levers have to be machined on aft end for locking insert clearance in an SAO)

The flat trigger levers do not work for me.....mitts too big.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Having average hands on an average body, different triggers and grip sizes don’t really affect me. That, and 64 years of “making do”. If any tool that I use, is TOO heavy or TOO small/large, negligible differences are not going to change that equation for me. I just find a more suitable tool.
I have examples of both the standard and skinny trigger on the same model Sig. Not needing the skinny trigger, makes its advantage negligible. It really doesn’t affect my accuracy one way or the other. I have never experienced the skinny trigger pinch.
I try to have a least 1 cold weather outdoor range trip per season. I then shoot with and without gloves. I have found that when drawing from a holster while wearing gloves, the extra room in the trigger guard of a skinny trigger IS an advantage for correct trigger finger placement.

My P245s that I carry in the colder months, have OEM triggers that seem to be a compromise between the standard and the skinny triggers, and that may have been a factor in my originally choosing that model. It’s been a few years since I made that calculation. I do know that the serrated/robbed trigger helps when my fingers are cold.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Soon after the 229 .40s were introduced, I bought a new one. German frame obviously, and what people now call the "Legacy" slide. Though I cannot remember for sure what trigger it had, seems like maybe the short trigger was introduced later. In any case, it's all personal preference. I used to prefer the short trigger, but in my dotage am content with either type.
SIG  229s (1).JPG

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Both my 227 and 229 have the GG DA flat trigger and I like them. I’m gonna try the GG curved DA trigger on my 227 just to see I like it too.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I guess for me it makes little difference witch trigger and I have both. I have zero issues adapting to either one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like the shorter reach on the skinny triggers... but they tend to pinch the meat of my trigger finger. Especially on the single stack Sigs. Less so on the P226/P229, but still gets me a little on the DA sometimes. I have the E2 grips and the standard trigger on my P229, currently. DA is still a touch of a stretch (I have short fingers) but I can manage. At some point I might try the short reach again my P229.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts