SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions about P226 from 1st Time SIG Owner - Photos Added

My P226 Police Trade In arrived and I picked it up today. The officer to whom it was issued used Red Loctite on the grip screws of the weapon. Wow. The grime under the grips was a thing to behold, and it looked like coffee had been spilled into the weapon at one time.

Anyway, thanks to reading here I knew that SIG CS would be of help so I called and was told by a great guy there that my P226 is a E26R-40-BSS-G - (R) P226R that was "Born" in April 2006.

First, is the recoil spring supposed to be painted green on the end for 40S&W caliber?

Second, Can the new E2 slim profile grips be placed on this model without having to change out the main spring or will I need to swap out more than the grips and materials in the E2 kit?

Third, the barrel and slide, other than dings from carelessness and use, appear to be in excellent shape with the barrel looking like it has not had many rounds through it. Would you recommend the $85 Full Service package by SIG?

Thanks folks, I have already learned a lot here just in a week and appreciate any help I receive on this new, to me, weapon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
You chose wisely :p! The P226 is a classic combat handgun. Can't really help you with the spring nor the grip question (guess I am not really any help at all....) and have never had service done by SIG, but it seems like good, cheap insurance.

Welcome and congratulations!! Enjoy your new SIG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello PPS380,
Green is the correct color, its for the 45 and 40 calibers.
You should not have to change the strut/spring in that year of gun.
make sure you check the trigger bar spring,,it should be a coil and not a
flat leaf type spring.
Great gun.
you should also pick up a new decocker spring for a couple bucks. That should do it and then you wouldn't need the 85 buck service from Sig.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello PPS380,
flat leaf type spring.
Great gun.
you should also pick up a new decocker spring for a couple bucks. That should do it and then you wouldn't need the 85 buck service from Sig.
Thanks. The Spring Kit runs $25-30 and includes all the springs (including the recoil) so that seems a good deal.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I would definitely recommend the full service package. I did it with a P226 I had, and it came back like new. It is well worth the money.

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hello PPS380,
flat leaf type spring.
Great gun.
A 2006 vintage will likely require the short plastic seat and new strut as the E2 grip wasn't out yet.

My 9mm P226 variants from the same era required this update.

A pic will will let us decide with certainty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 2006 vintage will likely require the short plastic seat and new strut as the E2 grip wasn't out yet.

My 9mm P226 variants from the same era required this update.

A pic will will let us decide with certainty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will upload one this evening when I return home.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Nice P226 - Congrats!! SIG's E2 grip kit comes with the longer hammer strut & shorter spring base. You may need to add a mainspring & trigger bar spring if it's the coil...

Here's a video

https://youtu.be/UDDCHhVCzdU

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Nice P226 - Congrats!! SIG's E2 grip kit comes with the longer hammer strut & shorter spring base. You may need to add a mainspring & trigger bar spring if it's the coil...

Here's a video

https://youtu.be/UDDCHhVCzdU

Cheers
Yes, you will need to replace the mainspring seat and strut to use E2 grips.

Sig Sauer E2 Grip Kit P226 - $67.99 - Top Gun Supply

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I do have a coil trigger bar return spring.

Man was this pistol filthy. I don't mean this badly, honest, but this is the 2nd police trade in that I have purchased that looked like the officer had no idea how to care for a weapon. Do they teach non-gun guys how to care for their sidearm at the police academy?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just arrived in this afternoon's mail. Guess I have a weekend project. Thanks for all the help for a SIG Newbie :)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not seeing a mainspring seat and hammer strut in your picture. Did you not order the kit I linked?
Yes, they are in the back of the grip package with the tool. Thanks.

Reactions: kansascity45

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First, thanks for all the help for a SIG Newbie. I installed the E2 grips today. It was not as easy as the Top Gun video made it out to be, but once I got the right size head on my screwdriver and stopped the bleeding everything went fine. ;)

Reactions: kansascity45

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL - I just put the E2 grip on my M11A1 and still have the wound between my thumb and forefinger to prove it.
Sorry about your injury but I do appreciate that I am not the only one.....:lol:

Reactions: SATX

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Yeah, there are more scratched SIG frames - and hand injuries - while working on that hammer spring than any other task!! Bruce Gray shows a specific SIG frame hand hold to avoid that unpleasantness in his SIG Classics Armorers video. This is a good reference if you plan to do stuff on your SIG pistols too...

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.