SIG Talk banner

Question - Sight Install - Sig Pro Shop or DIY

2554 9
I'm looking at moving some sights around on my Sigs. I've confirmed everything fits, but I'm not sure where to have it done. LGS here in Denver are mostly not interested because they can't guaranty it will be accurate.

Basically I'm looking at 2 installs.
1 - remove SigLite stock sights and replace with suppressor hight SigLite
2 - remove Sig contrast sights and replace with SigLite from set 1

Sig said they would set one for the cost of shipping and is checking what step two will add. The down side is I'm looking at 2-3 weeks (not overall worried about the time). The upside I know 100% it will be done right. The down side is the cost and travel to/from FedEx. I'm guessing its going be $100 or a little more.

That $100+ could get me a sight pusher. Technically I know I could get them in center of the slide.

Is there more to it?
Is it even worth my time to do it myself?
Is having Sig do it worth it in the long run?

Thanks all ...
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I vote DIY. I swapped some out recently on an old 226 and it took 15 mins. It was my first time trying it. You may need to do some minor adjustments but no big deal.

I bought this one based on a thread here that was praising it. They were right it. It works great and is really easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R4DXJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just knock em out and push em in. Nothing more to it.

Totally worth your time. You basically make $100 (or whatever you would've paid) for 15 mins of your time. A pretty good hourly wage if you ask me.

Worth it in the long run to get a pusher even if you only use it once.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
My First Question is "Which Pistol?" If you are talking about the 2XX series, Then I would go the tool route, (GET A GOOD ONE) and then sell it when you are done.

If you are talking about any of the others, I have no idea.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
gundrted, the only thing to it, is remembering they use tapered dovetails!

The sight material is softer than the slide...

Looking from the rear of the slide... "New" front sights install from right side toward left side.

"New" rear sights install from left side toward right side!

******* Remove old sights opposite of install, to prevent "narrowing" sights dovetail, to insure a tight fit in the dovetail. *******

Sig is aware of this, your local smith may not, and does he have the correct tools, you know that Sig has. Yes, you could do it yourself, by getting the correct tool. The cost will be offset, by how many sights of your own, you may change out, versus what it would cost to ship them to Sig, plus how many of your friends, shooting buddies, may have Sigs, that you ask for donations, to offset the price of the tool. You are correct, best to center the sights in the dovetails. If you don't have one, get a digital caliper at the local hardware/auto parts store for precise measurements.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-sig-font-rear-sight-tools.html FWIW the Ameriglo Sight tool, for Sigs, is the exact tool marketed by Sig, at a much lower cost, both manufactured by MGW as their #307 tool.

·
Premium Member
21,849 Posts
I bought a sight tool years ago and have used it probably 20-25 times. I definitely got my moneys worth. Installing sights is relatively easy--maybe 15 minutes tops if you're really, really careful. My dealer used to charge $15 to install sights, so you can see how that adds up. The Maryland Gun Works models seem to be the best IMO.

TGS is out-of-stock, but Gunbroker, Brownells, etc... should have one for you.

Sight Installation Tools (Page 4) - Top Gun Supply

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gundrted, the only thing to it, is remembering they use tapered dovetails!

The sight material is softer than the slide...

Looking from the rear of the slide... "New" front sights install from right side toward left side.

"New" rear sights install from left side toward right side!

******* Remove old sights opposite of install, to prevent "narrowing" sights dovetail, to insure a tight fit in the dovetail. *******

Sig is aware of this, your local smith may not, and does he have the correct tools, you know that Sig has. Yes, you could do it yourself, by getting the correct tool. The cost will be offset, by how many sights of your own, you may change out, versus what it would cost to ship them to Sig, plus how many of your friends, shooting buddies, may have Sigs, that you ask for donations, to offset the price of the tool. You are correct, best to center the sights in the dovetails. If you don't have one, get a digital caliper at the local hardware/auto parts store for precise measurements.

Ameriglo Sig Font & Rear Sight Tools SigTool6 19% OFF Best Rated FWIW the Ameriglo Sight tool, for Sigs, is the exact tool marketed by Sig, at a much lower cost, both manufactured by MGW as their #307 tool.
I really like this tool but it doesn't fit the P320 ... grrrrrrrr

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just installed Xray 3 sights on my SP2022.
I like tools and like to do things myself. I had never changed sights on a pistol before.
I watched a few videos on you tube and made up my mind to buy a Hi Quality sight pusher.
I chose the Maryland Gun Works Universal Sight pusher($299). The Specific Block to clamp the slide for Sig Pro models was an additional $18.
Brownells had a $25 off coupon and free shipping so it was $292 out the door.
The tool was very easy to use.

When the time comes to change out sights on my Sig P series pistols I'll need to order the P series block for another $18. The blocks for the different makes and models are all around 17-20 bucks.

I'm kind of a tool guy and having a reason to buy and collect another high quality tool was all the excuse I needed.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
gundrted, this is a model, that a few here, have used, that is more universal. Set up is extremely important, to insure that the pusher contacts at the bottom of the blade at the "dovetail" of the sight on the front. An old deck of playing cards, cut up, can be used to adjust height, and protect the sides of the slide.

Handgun Sight Pusher Tool "Universal", front/rear of Glocks Sigs1911's and more | eBay

Due to the variety of models you are dealing with this may be your only viable solution.

As the old adage goes, "Measure twice, verify, cut once", in this case substitute "move" for "cut"!

Reactions: Doggfish

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
gundrted, this is a model, that a few here, have used, that is more universal. Set up is extremely important, to insure that the pusher contacts at the bottom of the blade at the "dovetail" of the sight on the front. An old deck of playing cards, cut up, can be used to adjust height, and protect the sides of the slide.

Handgun Sight Pusher Tool "Universal", front/rear of Glocks Sigs1911's and more | eBay

Due to the variety of models you are dealing with this may be your only viable solution.

As the old adage goes, "Measure twice, verify, cut once", in this case substitute "move" for "cut"!
I've got one of these and I've saved a bunch over the years. Around the places I go, if you buy sights from them, they install for free. If you don't buy from them, they charge around $30.00.

Doesn't take long to recoup your investment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.