SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shooting today at the LGS with the wife.
She has a dang accurate P320 Compact 9mm. Awesome pistol.
Slide it nice a tight on it.

But my LGS shocked me by having a full-size P320 TACOPS 9mm.
I don't know how I "discovered" it, but I could take my finger tip and press on the front of the slide and that slide rocked significantly on the FCU. The FCU wasn't moving. It was loose tolerances between the slide and the tabs on the FCU that the slide rides on.

Are other full-size P320s like that?
If so, do you get the same accuracy as other P320s?

The barrel seemed to be locked tight with the slide, which is most important.
But dang, that was a lot of movement on this P320 TACOPS. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is very tight as well...no play. I have carried mine 6 days a week since last October, with at least 400 rounds a month going through it since then. I am no expert, but this is the first I have heard or read of someone reporting this....but then, I may have missed it in the past.

None of my other 320's have that issue either...

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
My FS has movement front and rear but I'm talking very very little movement, in fact I really can't see it as much as feel it. Also I checked with and without a loaded mag.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a full size 9mm P320, and the FS components are nice and snug. However, when I switch it over to my carry grip module there is a significant amount of rock from slide to frame. POA/POI don't seem to differ any. Thought I might have a warped carry grip module, but the top of it is straight to a steel ruler. Shoots and cycles fine. I just shoot it. At first I thought I didn't have the FCU seated properly, but there's only one way that it fits.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have a full and compact 40sw and both are wiggle free but I did read a few days ago where one of the sig performance gunsmiths was welding up the FCU tabs and hand fitting them to tighter specs . I have shot 1911 with slide wiggle that were very accurate as that is more about barrel to slide fit than slide to rail fit !

Maybe one of the down sides for the p320's for military contract .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Went shooting today at the LGS with the wife.
She has a dang accurate P320 Compact 9mm. Awesome pistol.
Slide it nice a tight on it.

But my LGS shocked me by having a full-size P320 TACOPS 9mm.
I don't know how I "discovered" it, but I could take my finger tip and press on the front of the slide and that slide rocked significantly on the FCU. The FCU wasn't moving. It was loose tolerances between the slide and the tabs on the FCU that the slide rides on.

Are other full-size P320s like that?
If so, do you get the same accuracy as other P320s?

The barrel seemed to be locked tight with the slide, which is most important.
But dang, that was a lot of movement on this P320 TACOPS. :confused:
Morning GoneBallisticInAlabama

Well!-- I can't speak to the full sized but can somewhat on the compact 320's with a loose slide to FCU fit.

I have 3 compact 320's in 9mm, one a very early version with a fairly tight slide to FCU fit & that gun is a tac-driver.

I have a slightly later 320 with a somewhat tight lateral slide to FCU fit but a somewhat loose vertical slide to FCU fit. That gun shoots OK & is combat accurate at 20 & 25 meters (not as accurate as my early 320 though)

Now we come to my latest 320C-TB -- that gun has a very loose slide to FCU fit in the vertical direction (haven't measured it but loose enough that I can see the front sight dip when I dry fire the gun). I can also hear/feel the slide rattle if I shake the gun with the striker released forward.

Still too early to say conclusively that the loose slide to FCU fit is the problem but this gun strings shots 100mm in the vertical direction & 50mm in the lateral direction at 25 meters. If I fire from a fully loaded magazine for every shot then it strings the shots only about 50mm vertically @ 25 meters.

If I shoot from a fully loaded mag then remove that mag & insert an empty mag (there is already a round in chamber from first shot) then I almost always get 75-100mm vertical deviation between full mag shot & empty mag shot @ 25 meters.

As a controller I shoot my early 320 off the same bag at the same range session using the same ammo & see virtually no vertical shot stringing.

The slide to barrel fit seems tight & about the same on all 3 guns so the only variable that I can find is the loose slide to FCU fit.

I'm not done with my testing yet but plan on swapping barrels, swapping slides, & swapping FCU's between the guns to try to prove or disprove that the loose vertical slide to FCU fit is the problem & not some other anomaly.

I would like to send my latest 320C-TB back to Sig for warranty accuracy problems but I haven't had any luck with ANY of the gun companies on accuracy related send back's UNLESS I also send some target documentation & very thorough shooting regimentation & ammo type usage.

Unless I fully document the accuracy issue then the standard answer that I usually get back is "shot XX number of YY type ammo & accuracy is within specs" with nothing done to the gun & a few weeks lost to the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.