SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a P290rs and a Shield but not at the same time. My question is: is the Shield lighter or is the 290? I have read reviews where the 290 is advertised as lighter and another where it is heavier. I also would like to know if anyone carries the 290 in a pocket holster and if you find it comfortable? When I had my 290 I carried it iwb and did not have a pocket holster so I do not have a frame of reference.
Thank you in advance, Frank.

· Registered
418 Posts
I currently own both. I will weigh them to make sure but I think the Sig in 9mm is heavier. When you check specs on the Sig make sure you're looking at the 9mm, not the 380 version.

Size-wise the P290 can be pocketed but for me it's too heavy and too thick. It really depends on your size and your tolerance for stuff in your pockets.

Dave

· Registered
2,742 Posts
When I carried my 290 rs it was pocket carry. No problems with the gun. I don't like the trigger. I now pocket carry the 938. Who knows I may carry the 290 again. I have the holster that is shown on Sig's web site. Bought it from amazon for less money.

· Registered
84 Posts
I love my P290rs and find it extremely easy to carry. That said it is a tad heavier than the shield. Mine weighs 20.5 ounces roughly with and empty mag and approx 23.5+ ounces loaded 6+1. Can't remember the Shield Wright but I'm sure it's less than the 290 and more than the LC9S.

· Registered
35 Posts
The difference in weight for 290rs is 380 vs 9mm. The 290 is about 4 0z heavier than the 9mm shield. The 290 is smaller than the shield though I personally find both too big and heavy for pocket carry. I like a BG 380 for pocket because it's trigger pull is similar to P290RS , long and heavy with full reset.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the information. I can not find one near me and I would like to handle one before I buy it. Gun Genie only shows one that can be had and it is the model with the flat grips.
Thanks again, Frank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.