SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question. If you purchase a used firearm from the Internet and it comes with 15 round mags but your state only allows a 10 round max capacity can they still be shipped to your local FFL? Can that person then give them to you?

Second question. Has anyone ever had bad luck with purchasing used pistols from reputable online dealers?

· Registered
363 Posts
First question. If you purchase a used firearm from the Internet and it comes with 15 round mags but your state only allows a 10 round max capacity can they still be shipped to your local FFL? Can that person then give them to you?

Second question. Has anyone ever had bad luck with purchasing used pistols from reputable online dealers?
First question, I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I've never lived in a state that it mattered. From my understanding, they just won't ship it. I know I see on sites all the time state they plain will not ship mags over 10 rounds to certain states.

Second question, not personally, but I'm sure someone out there has. Buying firearms is no different than buying anything else online. There's just the added step of paperwork.

Reactions: bearone2

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
I've sold a couple of handguns to people in restricted states. What we worked out was I kept the higher capacity mags and replaced them with mags of a capacity allowed in the state. No problem.

When purchasing a weapon, any weapon, new or used, on line, it will be shipped to your FFL for transfer. Prior to starting your Form 4473, you want to do a complete and thorough inspection of the weapon to make certain it is as was represented by the seller. Once you put ink on the Form 4473, there is no going back. Should you decide the weapon is not to your liking, you now have transferred the gun to you, it will have to be transferred back to the seller. If you purchased a new weapon, it will no longer be considered new as it was transferred to you. If no Form 4473, no transfer, the weapon is still considered new.

I can't emphasize enough, DO NOT start filling in the Form 4473 until you are satisfied with the weapon.

· 🎖USA Veteran
56,730 Posts
many used firearms sold online are sold "as is, no returns", so no option to refuse delivery at your ffl.

no, i've never purchased a used firearm online, only nib from a dealer/vendor.

· P228 Sherpa
8,261 Posts
Why are you risking going to jail?

Not I.

· Premium Member
18,477 Posts
While I agree with your statement, bear, if a gun I buy is materially misrepresented by the seller, I am certainly going to make every effort to return it to the seller. Starting the Form 4473 hampers this effort, not starting the Form 4473 removes one possible hurdle in the return process.

Case in point, I purchased a used Colt 1911, sale was stated as no returns or exchanges. When the weapon arrived, I discovered the barrel to be bulged. A quick phone call to the seller, with clear photos of the condition I found witnessed by my FFL, they agreed to make it right, but it involved returning the weapon to the seller, which, by the way, provided a return prepaid shipping label. Had I started the 4473, the gun would have had to have been transferred back to the seller, and transferred back to me again, upon return, costing me double the transfer fees. Had the gun I purchased used had a slight scratch on it or holster wear greater than I had expected, this, I don't see as a material misrepresentation. However, a 1911 with a bulged barrel is not usable as is. I would have pursued other remedies had the seller not agreed.

· Registered
23,709 Posts
I've never purchased a used gun online.

But I can say that most dealers will either not sell a gun with higher-capacity mags to a state that restricts them, or they will ship the gun with NO mags. Most dealers will not substitute mags to ship to a restricted state.

In most cases, they aren't likely to have any extras for the gun on hand, and if they had new ones, they sure won't swap new mags for used ones.

· Registered
52 Posts
In CO law enforcement will not enforce the law of 15 or less round mags. Gun stores sell parts kits with the mag disassembled, or guns with mags that have more than 15 rounds with the mags disassembled. You can have the mags in your possession but you just can't purchase them assembled. Once you get home you put the mag together and they have no way to tell when the mag was manufactured so they can't really do anything. I can drive to Wyoming or Nebraska and buy as many as I want and drive them back. Talk to the local gun shop and see what they recommend since you live in a different state.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys deffinately answered my first question! I found a nice deal on the pistol I want with the sights i want with all of the original packaging and contents, used, with 4 factory 15rnd mags. I was hoping I could buy the gun as it is advertised and then get the local FFL I had it shipped to "neuter" them down to 10 rounds to make them legal in CT. Looks like I will have to start by seeing if they will even ship it to this state... Thank you for all of the INFO!

· Banned
7,265 Posts
You guys deffinately answered my first question! I found a nice deal on the pistol I want with the sights i want with all of the original packaging and contents, used, with 4 factory 15rnd mags. I was hoping I could buy the gun as it is advertised and then get the local FFL I had it shipped to "neuter" them down to 10 rounds to make them legal in CT. Looks like I will have to start by seeing if they will even ship it to this state... Thank you for all of the INFO!
many dealers will simply hold back the mags or replace them with state legal ones. Some will split the shipment and send the mags to someone in a friendly state (you pay the shipping difference). follow?

Your problem of course is the "hi cap" mags had to be declared in 2014 if I understand your laws correctly. shame. overthisway we can buy all the "high cap" mag kits we desire and there's no official declare date, just a no sale/in state purchase after date.

· Registered
360 Posts

For item one the answer is absolutely not if the FFL is serious about keeping their license and not getting investigated. Some FFLs will not even receive them if they are higher cap. I would recommend not shipping mags. It's a stupid law but it is what it is.

Second item, personally no. Reputable folks have always worked out for me. I've bought 10+ and no issues yet. But I buy from folks with more sales and feedback.

· Registered
7,825 Posts
On the grounds that I may incriminate myself to the wife I will not admit how many used guns I've bought online. :)

If you are looking at Gunbroker the sellers feedback usually speaks for itself.
Most dealers if they sell to restricted states will simply swap 10rnd mags for the 15rnd ones for you. But some states like California are even whacked enough to know by serial number that it came with hi-cap mags to begin with and that gun will not be on the approved list. Make sure what you're buying can be sold to you in your state before even buying it or having it shipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.