SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Like any finish, the PVD finish will wear. I personally don't think the Legion has any issues, I just think people had extremely high expectations of the finish. I started seeing wear on my legion rails almost immediately, which I admit I thought was unfortunate at the time but now that I'm thousands of rounds in, it's holding up much better than my scorpion did at around the same round count.
The PVD finish is a harder, more durable finish than cerakote but in the end is a coating rather than a treatment. In my opinion, it will last better than cerakote or duracoat, but will not compare to an anodizing or blue. If you go into the purchase with that in mind, I do not think you will be disappointed at all.

·
Registered
23,647 Posts
The finish on the P320 FDE slides is harder than the Legion.
It is the same finish that is on the SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is it that sets it apart from each other, same finish, same base material? Or they just not getting it right on some of the Legions? Either way I may make on offer on this P320 anyway.

·
Registered
23,647 Posts
The finishes are different materials.

A lot of people equate "PVD" with "hard/tough finish" and that is not always the case.

PVD is just a coating process. It doesn't mean that the material properties of the substance applied are necessarily harder or more wear-resistant.

While PVD can be used to apply something hard like TiN on steel tools, the PVD process is also used for applying decorative finishes to plastics in cheap household goods.

It also doesn't mean that the finish is as thick as it probably should be. In fact, it is a method of applying finishes as evenly as possible while using as little of the finish material as possible.

The FDE material used on the slides of the P320 (and the entire 1911 Emperor Scorpion) is a harder finish than the gray on the Legions.

Reactions: 229xtrm
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.