SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have Nill grips on your P229-1/M11A1, DO NOT use Mec-Gar magazines with the +2 base extensions.

Originals (I put the damaged pieces back in for this photo. They promptly fell out when I reinserted the magazine.):

With magazine inserted, note the lifted portion:

Oops:

At least it is somewhat symmetrical:

Moral of the story: I think I will retire these extensions and only use OEM bases or their equivalents. If I can't fix this with a little epoxy/glue magic, a little judicious use of a file and/or a dremel should smooth things out and make it not quite so terrible looking.

For what it's worth, I couldn't get the magazine with the extension to seat with my Hogue aluminum grips either.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I wonder if the same thing will happen with extended mags on the P226>?
A lot of Us purchased Nill grips for Ours back a few months ago when they were listed on Facebook.
Also what about using them on a P229 Equinox or other model ?"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel your pain. I know that I would be sick if that happened to me.
I was cursing like a sailor. My wife thought I had hurt myself.

I wonder if the same thing will happen with extended mags on the P226>?
I was curious about the same thing but I can't answer it. The 229-1 bases are just a bit too large to fit my 226 magazines (and, I suspect regular 229 non-dash models) to check it for fit.
Also what about using them on a P229 Equinox or other model?
I would assume the same story applies but can't be certain simply because there isn't one at hand for testing.

I took a closer look and think I found the answer. The OEM bases have a significant bevel at the rear corners that provides clearance at the area where the grips broke. See photo:

I am going to try to reshape one of the Mec-Gar bases and see if I can duplicate it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If you have Nill grips on your P229-1/M11A1, DO NOT use Mec-Gar magazines with the +2 base extensions.

Moral of the story: I think I will retire these extensions and only use OEM bases or their equivalents. If I can't fix this with a little epoxy/glue magic, a little judicious use of a file and/or a dremel should smooth things out and make it not quite so terrible looking.
I am guessing that a file or dremmel applied at the exact spot on the mag would remedy this for anyone who wanted to use the mags with the grips--not that it would help @rbmcmjr. Thanks for posting with a true "want to help others" theme. For what it is worth, i would email and call Nill and ask if they will replace them. Worst they could say is "no".

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is something I'd lose sleep over if it happened to me. Feel your pain!

I am guessing that a file or dremmel applied at the exact spot on the mag would remedy this for anyone who wanted to use the mags with the grips--not that it would help @rbmcmjr. Thanks for posting with a true "want to help others" theme. For what it is worth, i would email and call Nill and ask if they will replace them. Worst they could say is "no".
I had to do that to get them to fit my Supermatch (aluminium magwell). Works just fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.