SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How Likely Are You to Die From Gun Violence? This Interesting Chart Puts It in Perspective ? TheBlaze

How Likely Are You to Die From Gun Violence? This Interesting Chart Puts It in Perspective

Jason Howerton Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

It’s clear that the gun control debate is here to stay for the time being. That being the case, it’s important that we really examine all the facts surrounding gun violence.

So just how likely are you to be killed by a gun in the United States? The Economist has put together an interesting graphic that demonstrates your chances of getting killed by an array of things, including guns, heart disease, fire and more.

According to the Economist’s chart, your chances of dying as a result of “assault by firearm” is about 1 in 25,000. Americans also have a 1 in 514,147 chance of being killed by “firearms discharge. While still considered one of the leading causes of death in the U.S., the data certainly is at odds with the mainstream media narrative that all guns are simply mass killing machines.

The data from America’s National Safety Council suggests you are more likely to die from “intentional self harm,” an accidental injury or heart disease.

You are more likely to be killed by a gun than “walking,” choking or falling down the stairs. You are least likely to be killed by an asteroid impact (74,817,414 to 1), fireworks (50,729,141 to 1) or a bee sting (25,364,571 to 1).

Check out the graphic below (Click chart to see more):

Now, we also know that twice as many people are killed by “hands and feet” than semi-automatic rifles, which President Barack Obama and Democrats are looking to ban. There are also nearly five times more murders by knife than murders by so-called “assault weapons.”

This graph puts it in perspective, and calls into question how effective an “assault weapons” ban would actually be.

Yes, I love my guns.

I love my freedom.

But if I'm a big fat fattie fat bottomed slob and I think my thousand - dollar pistol's going to "save my family, friends, and loved ones..."

The American Heart Association's Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations

...I'm probably deluding myself.

Get a cheapo $12 monthly gym membership.

Costs far less than your SIG or your fancy lube of choice.

Eat a salad.

Work out.

Love your guns.

Live well.

Ohmigerd whatta public service announcement :lol:

Attachments

Reactions: 8161

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
This does not fit the prescribe narrative. You need to get in line, mister!

Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does not fit the prescribe narrative. You need to get in line, mister!
Narrative...

That's Bill O'Reilly's favorite word! :lol:

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
It has become somewhat of a buzzword, but it's only b/c so many have been pushed. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.

Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It has become somewhat of a buzzword, but it's only b/c so many have been pushed. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.

Grope * grope * grope * feel... wait for it... wait for it... Narrative!

Oops, time for a vacation, Billy Boy! :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

There can be only one Bill! :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah, let's get some heart attack stats up here, or better yet some radon deaths, which is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking.

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Yeah, let's get some heart attack stats up here, or better yet some radon deaths, which is the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking.
And smoking being the second leading cause is highly suspicious.

It seems that the doctors want to chalk lung cancer up to smoking any chance they get. One of my uncles died of lung cancer and initially the doctor put down that it was caused by smoking or second hand smoke.

Turns out he was a Mormon and didn't smoke or associate with smokers, but he did work most of his life in the brake pad division of one of the larger airplane brake manufacturers. His kids threatened a lawsuit and demanded an autopsy and it turns out the guy's lungs were full of asbestos.

Mrs. Flash had a similar occurrence with one of her Uncles and the cause of death got changed.

Makes you wonder about most statistics.

What's that saying? 93.71 % of all statistics are made up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts