SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am having trouble finding the right ammo for my P229. So far I have ran Remmington FMJ 180 grains - that ran through no problem. Yesterday I tried HPR 180 grain TMJ, it jammed repeatedly - (this leads me to believe tapered ammo is not a good option?) I still have HPR 180 grain JHP's to try today. Also, I bought Fiocchi Extrema XTP 180 gr HP - went to load one in the chamber, the first one jammed. I want to stick with a HP of some sort and 180grain. Suggestions please?

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Everything Remington and Speer is digested by my 229 without fail.
I mainly shoot 357 Sig, which never seems to have a problem, but my .40 barrel never bobbles.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have a P226, made in 2006, and it has never jammed on me--and it is a .40SW. It eats WWB, Remington, Federal, Hornady, Mag Tech, Fiocchi, Blazer Brass, Lawman, and S&B. Never tried any hand-loads, though.

What is your shooting experience? Have you had anyone else fire it?

If your grip is solid you may have a mechanical issue with your pistol.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
First, thoroughly clean and lube your gun and see if that takes care of the problem.

If not, how many rounds has the gun seen? Is it time for spring changes? Your fix may be as simple as a new recoil or mag spring.

Your technique may also be the culprit. Limpwristing can cause jamming. Does the pistol jam when other shooters fire it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sig

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have shot my whole life - 50 + years, though I have never had a Sig, or a 40. My norm has always been a 9mm or 45 autos. After the jams last night I took it home and cleaned it. It was supposedly not fired much, but it was filthy. I personally have put about 200 rounds through it. Jammed again, I didn't leave enough oil - so re-oiled. I am on my way today to see what happens on the range. In cleaning it I thought I may have seen a burr, so if it happens again today I may have someone look at it. My grip is solid I believe, so I am hoping it is not operator error...lol!!! We'll see today.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Best of luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've thrown everything but the kitchen sink and steel cased ammo at my 229 with no failures and have shot about 1K rounds through it all 165 or 180 grain. Before I purchased it I'd say whoever had it put about 1K through it as well; great condition for what I paid for it. I like Fiocchi and Sellier and Bellet (pretty sure I misspelled that) for target practice; all FMJ.

As far as HP go my Siggy loves 165 Hornady Critical Defense and so do I. Boy are they accurate! HST's also perform very well.

As my 229 is my primary carry gun, I always clean after a range trip and wipe off the fuzzies that collect every few days while carrying. I can tell you I've experimented with a dirty gun, ran 200 or so rounds through it without cleaning waited a few days and shot another 100-200. Never had a problem.

I always add a few drops of grease or oil to my rails before a range session even if they appear wet "just to make sure". Like DBS said maybe your mag springs are the culprit, I'd give her a good look-see top to bottom and check out all the important parts. Spring kits are cheap and not to hard to replace what's necessary.

Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe you are limp wristing the gun. When I first shot Sigs, I thought the gun or ammo were causing failure to feeds, jams, ect. After a few range sessions, I learned that I was limp wristing and causing those issues. You might not feel yourself doing it, but first go to basics when using a new gun that you are unfamiliar with. Heck, I still have bad habits, but I shoot much better then when I started.

My 229 .40 will take anything from reloads, steel, brass and every other .40 cal round.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If the pistol was filthy, I'd bet it has been shot a lot and not maintained very well.

Try a new recoil spring; SIG recommends replacement at 5k rounds and I bet your pistol is past due. In fact, since your gun's history is unknown, I'd get a parts kit from Top Gun Supply and replace everything that comes in it so you can reset the round count to zero for all those parts.

I once bought a police trade-in 228 and discovered that it was a jam-o-matic. A fresh recoil spring solved my problem. I was relieved the fix was so easy, but disturbed that an LEO had been trusting his/her life to a gun that was totally unreliable.

Reactions: SigAficionado

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Odd, I've put all kinds of ammo w/reloads included, no issues whatsoever. If you need to take it anywhere, your lucky because Robert Burke who is one of the best sig armores in the business and he's located here in the DFW area. I would take it there if you need to get someone to look at it.
The Sig Armorer

Good luck

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Clean and lube gun, grease on things that slide, oil on things that turn. When you reassemble, if you have to wipe off grease you've done a good job!

Polish feed ramp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts