SIG Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Polar opposite of the P228R I picked up a few weeks back, which was so clean I was almost afraid to shoot it.

Reactions: black squirrel

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
you've definitely strapped on project!!!

i'd personally only use it as a shooter.
It will very much be a shooter. All the performance bits inside, no worries about scratches or rub marks on the outside. Hell, a few rub marks might even smooth it out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Polar opposite of the P228R I picked up a few weeks back, which was so clean I was almost afraid to shoot it.
Saw a BNIB / never fired outside the factory one for sale recently. I'd really want it, still would not shoot it. There comes a point where virginity is worth keeping as a part of history.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
how do you go about finding frames and parts kits? i would love to have a project like this.
They come up every now and then, but less and less often as there aren't a bunch of them around about to be decommissioned. There are a couple of slide kits on eBay now with prices around $300, and the miscellaneous internal parts for the frame can be pieced together used for around $100-$150. The frame is the tough part to find (and never on eBay as it's a serialized item), but a few come up every now and then.

For a fun cheap project, the best value these days is the LEO trade-in P229s that are still available as complete firearms for around $450-$500.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I was asked about the markings on the frame, above the trigger: NHMCO SACCA

The "NHMCO SACCA" marking was from the US agent at the time. New Helvitia Mercantile COrp, SACramento CAlifornia.

This company was also part of Old Sacramento Armory, a business in CA that used to be involved with a lot of military surplus and new foreign imports. They closed in the early 2000s. What I am still trying to figure out is why a US importer would bring in German pistols and then distribute them to Israel. Why didn't the IDF go to SIG directly?

If anybody has any further information, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Project Junkyard Dog got a proper set of corrections tonight; from another IDF donor with a cracked frame, JYD got a correctly-worn proofmarked slide to replace the pretty one, correct takedown lever, correct sights, and correct serrated trigger. Right-side worn grip panel to match the left side was transferred as well as naturally worn hardware. What are the tiny paracord bits hanging from the grip? No idea, but they sure are genuine.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome project, what is going in junkyard dog to make it a rat rod?

Yes the current Leo 229s are a great deal! One of those was what infected me with the
Signess,

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Some custom pieces and modifications I am experimenting with, will post about results as things move along.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
When scars, scratches, and wear are badges of honor and a life lived well, not abuse nor neglect:

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks to a discussion with another gunsmith friend of mine, the thought was that the barrel may be slap-happy worn out given the POI shift.

I just so happened to have a brand-new silver P228 barrel, so in it went. The above-dot lollipop sight picture is correct for these sights and I do believe POI groups have tightened up and centered.

This is still one of the smoothest P-series I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like my stuff (even my old stuff) pristine, but I'm liking it.
Great rescue and nice work!

Reactions: RLevinson68
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.