SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Project "Junkyard Dog" begins now. This old IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) P228 (1993 production, should be KD) was decommissioned after being used in any number of abusive ways. It's got more wear, scrapes, and dings than I've ever seen on a firearm. The original grip panels are worn down from handling. I think it was used as a tread chock to hold a tank on a hill, and then dragged behind a camel for awhile, and then thrown at an enemy when the magazine was emptied. Tzahal definitely got their money's worth out of this one.

Why spend hundreds of dollars on fake patina and aging when there's the real thing?

The slide and barrel are not original to this frame, and are actually in very nice shape... I'd say between G and VG condition.

Although the frame came to me incomplete, I acquired similarly used but not used up parts. Nothing "fresh" here. Stripped everything down, cleaned it all with penetrating oil and a scrub brush, and laid it all out to make sure every bit was ready for assembly. Looks like I got stiffed a magazine release spring, but I'll cadge that from this P228's brother frame that is going to be yet another project.

Taking out time for a honeydew item, chasing a missing mag release catch pin that breached the troposphere, cleaning and putting away all tools and punches, getting rid of garbage, and taking some pics... about an hour assembly time. Forgot to wear my reading glasses, so I dragged tail a little to make sure everything was done right. No leftover parts, so that's a good thing.

There's one more P228 in the world as of yesterday. That's a happy thought.

Deliberately using all those old high-mileage parts and lubing the living hell out of every contact surface has made this pistol one smooth operator. I can only imagine what will happen as the previously un-mated slide and frame get comfortable with each other.

So that was Stage One of Project Junkyard Dog... 100% original/standard parts.

Stage Two is coming; tear the whole thing down again and fill it up with the most trick performance parts, including some stuff that may not have ever been seen before.

At that point, "Junkyard Dog" will be renamed "Rat Rod".

One last thing; my extremely cool wife has laid claim to this pistol for her own use. I can live with that. :D

UPDATE: New look for JYD, see this post: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/167458-project-junkyard-dog-p228-2.html#post2286570

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like what you've done here. You should keep it like that!
Thanks!

I assure you, the outward appearance will not change. I had someone suggest doing a SAS treatment and G10 grips and fancy cerakote... that guy did not get this project's concept whatsoever.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
That frame looks like it was drug behind a pickup truck a few hundred miles. :eek:

Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
you've definitely strapped on project!!!

i'd personally only use it as a shooter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like it a lot. I am a function over form guy and it looks and sounds like the lessons my Dad taught me. I'd much rather have a gun that works good over a gun that looks good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks!

I assure you, the outward appearance will not change. I had someone suggest doing a SAS treatment and G10 grips and fancy cerakote... that guy did not get this project's concept whatsoever.
I think you got the natural SAS treatment there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you got the natural SAS treatment there.
I've got another frame with severe holster wear, all the leading edges smoothed.

Now that is the natural SAS treatment, windtunnel, err, holster tested and streamlined.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Project "Junkyard Dog" begins now. ..... It's got more wear, scrapes, and dings than I've ever seen on a firearm.

The original grip panels are worn down from handling. I think it was used as a tread chock to hold a tank on a hill, and then dragged behind a camel for awhile, and then thrown at an enemy when the magazine was emptied. :D
Your Junkyard Dog looks kind of cool
I like it
And it is not nearly as bad as the Rat Rod P228 that I saw at a Funshow recently.

That ole P228 was BEAT! I mean hammered. Your JYD looks great compared to the one that I saw.

I considered it briefly as a candidate for a refinish
Ceracote? maybe
but the pits on the slide kinda ruled a refinish as out of the question

It had a severe, and I mean SEVERE case of holster rash that really made it look UGLY.

Poor thing....

When I read the first paragraph of your post, I thought that maybe you had bought that ole P228

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
That's a road warrior right there.

Reactions: RLevinson68

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Definitely has character......but I do get the itch to restore something like that. Either way you can't go wrong.
I've got three more. Plenty of opportunity to scratch that. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts