SIG Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the trend away from 357 going on with many models being discontinued. I am curious what years were the 229 enhanced elite made in 357? I know it's not in production currently.

A side question I have been wanting a 229 in 357 for some time. I have the option for a new in box p229 manufactured in 2008 vs a new enhanced elite but not sure the model year or if it matters. I like the full slide serrations on the newer models although I'll concede they probably don't make a huge difference. More important to me is the e2 style grip seems to fit better but would love some opinions on which gun the more experienced sig fans think is a better deal. Can get either for exactly the same price...

Thanks!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,842 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana.

I can't tell you "dates", but there were a lot less .357 Sigs produced, than there were .40S&W chambered models. The majority of Elites I have noticed, have wooden grips, if you produce the E2s, it's a simple matter of changing grips. Same as barrels, as long as the slide supports a .357 Sig, or .40S&W changing barrels can be as easy as "Drop-In", or Minor Fitting may be needed.

Because most Law Enforcement is going back to 9mm, the request for .40S&W, and .357 Sig in "large purchases" has caused some manufactures to re-think their offerings. It has been reported here that Sig may drop several of these chamberings for 2018...

As far as E2 Grips, it appears to be a Love/Hate matter... if you need the "smallest grip available", they "could be" your "Cup of Tea". Some complain they are too roughly textured, and wet sand them a bit, for comfort, but then others claim doing that, ruins their "looks".

Unless you have very small hands, that using a short reach trigger can't compensate for, with regular sized grips, the E2s may be your only choice for good control of the firearm. Personally, I favor the G-10 grips, good traction, and firm grip without flex, and reasonably sized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! What are any thoughts on the German vs American debate? Would you consider a 2008 German frame 229 with older slide style (not full serrations) a better value than a newer enhanced elite made in America? Any real function/reliability issues been trended with newer Sigs? Never heard of that debate until recently so still interested in hearing what ppl had to say. Maybe good marketing but I've always looked at Sigs as universally trusted.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,993 Posts
I've only had a little experience with German made SIGs (P245) or German framed SIGs (p239) and more with US made (P229R, M11A1, P229C, P224), but based on that I wouldn't take one over the other just because of origin.

Find the best deal you can on a P229 chambered in 40 or 357 with slide and frame you want and then add the grips, trigger and caliber/barrel you prefer.

Very hard to go wrong on any P229.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Many of us prefer the old, legacy slide P229 due to the fact that we're fuddy duddies :lol: and the early issues with the newer, long extractor slides. I have not seen indications of these issues still occurring, but that doesn't deter from us watching Sig degrade in QC and half-arsing a lot of products.

Think of legacy Sigs VS today's Sigs like JM Marlins VS Remlins. Remlins have gotten better, but no where near the quality of the old JM's.

That being said, I think the P229's are fine. Just stay away from the gimmicks and know exactly what you're buying. It sounds like you want a rail so really any railed P229 would work for you. You can always swap a barrel or caliber conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.