SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a brand new P229 Legion today and I was really excited about it but I have already encountered 2 potential problems. Firstly I noticed that the guide rod didn't seem to be long enough. I disassembled the pistol and the rod itself doesn't appear to be stuck on the spring or miss-positioned. I looked up a few pictures of the P229 and it does not look like this is normal behavior. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution to this and if it is safe to go shoot?

Also when I first opened the case I was greeted to 2 additional magazines that were in the wrong caliber.... I checked the label on the box and even that says 9mm, I am sure it was a factory mistake to include 40S&W mags but given the cost of this item I am surprised to be having these issues already. I plan to contact Sig directly on Monday but this is a real bummer because I wanted to start breaking this in already.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I’ve seen recent mags coming from Mecgar that are stamped 9mm one side and 40 on the other. They stamp the metal sheets before cutting and folding them. Not saying you didn’t get the wrong mags but definitely check it out and make sure it doesn’t say 9mm on the other side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I’ve seen recent mags coming from Mecgar that are stamped 9mm one side and 40 on the other. They stamp the metal sheets before cutting and folding them. Not saying you didn’t get the wrong mags but definitely check it out and make sure it doesn’t say 9mm on the other side.
Unfortunately I don't think that is what has happened to me, these other 2 mags that came wrapped in the box do not fit in my 9mm gun and say 0.357 / 0.40 on the sides.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you buy it? Did the dealer mix up the mags? Maybe they have the right ones.
A gun store sold it to me, the case had never been opened and has factory stickers on the side saying 9mm. I don't think they would have opened the case to change the mags out. It was a reputable store so I believe this to be a factory issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The person packing the gun at the factory probably put the wrong mags in the case.

Stuff like that happens and filling cases is probably a job for the least experienced/skilled people at the factory.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Field strip the pistol before you call SIG. Be sure the recoil spring is correctly installed with the colored end inserted first onto the guide rod. Then examine the recoil spring to see if the spring is coming apart.

The recoil springs are woven and frequently separate which can cause a strand to work into the gap between the slide and the guide rod.

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Field strip the pistol before you call SIG. Be sure the recoil spring is correctly installed with the colored end inserted first onto the guide rod. Then examine the recoil spring to see if the spring is coming apart.

The recoil springs are woven and frequently separate which can cause a strand to work into the gap between the slide and the guide rod.

Bill
Hey Bill that is a good idea, I don't think anything is filling in that gap as the spring has no problem compressing when I slide the upper back.
If you look at the pictures below, when I take the spring out and position it in the same spot it simply just looks to short.
I don't know if there is some kind of defect with the guide rod or barrel in some way but this is a brand new and never used gun so I think it is rather unusual to have a problem like this.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah, that's not right. I just took this picture of my P229 Legion 9mm for you. I'd be very bummed if this were my gun. I feel for you. Hard to believe they could screw this up so badly on a Legion. Wrong mags and wrong guide rod? Wow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I read about another guy that got the wrong mags. he called Sig CS. It has been a couple of months now and they still haven't come back in stock to send to him. I would be ticked off.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The dealer screwed you, those mags looked used and the guide rod is too short.
And if the dealer didn’t screw you, his/her distributor screwed them. Does your LGS not let you check out gun before walking out? Both our LGS’ let you open case, handle gun, review package contents before finalization. If yours doesn’t, not sure how reputable they could be?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.