SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, has anyone had any difficulty getting their X5 dialed in ? I've got 500 rounds plus through it so far.

This is the first time I've have such a rough time with this, was at the range today shooting the X5 at 10 yards alongside my Legion p226 SAO. The Legion was basically dead nuts on while the X5 was a good 5-6 inches low. Even boosting the elevation (nearly maxed) didn't seem to help much.

I'm going out to the range tomorrow to try again, it's conceivable that it's my technique as balance and trigger are quite different , plus the combo of my aging eyes and r-hand/left eye dominance nonsense can make new pistols challenging. Also not thrilled with the tiny front sight ;) . But boy was I frustrated- wanted to use this pistol in Production, but not so sure.

Curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks in advance,

JT

·
Registered
747 Posts
While mine is used as a plinker, I didn't have any issues dialing it in. If the hole isn't where it is supposed to be, it's because of the doof pulling the trigger.

I hope you get it straightened out. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all, has anyone had any difficulty getting their X5 dialed in ? I've got 500 rounds plus through it so far.

This is the first time I've have such a rough time with this, was at the range today shooting the X5 at 10 yards alongside my Legion p226 SAO. The Legion was basically dead nuts on while the X5 was a good 5-6 inches low. Even boosting the elevation (nearly maxed) didn't seem to help much.

I'm going out to the range tomorrow to try again, it's conceivable that it's my technique as balance and trigger are quite different , plus the combo of my aging eyes and r-hand/left eye dominance nonsense can make new pistols challenging. Also not thrilled with the tiny front sight ;) . But boy was I frustrated- wanted to use this pistol in Production, but not so sure.

Thanks in advance,

JT
As far as your front sight being tiny, what I done is use the next larger diameter fiber optic material, and then you can make the Red, or Green dot you see larger
By how much you leave to melt. The more you leave to melt the larger the dot, and naturally the reverse for a smaller dot. It seems at least for my eyes on the indoor range I need a larger dot, than I need outdoors.:D

·
Registered
425 Posts
As far as your front sight being tiny, what I done is use the next larger diameter fiber optic material, and then you can make the Red, or Green dot you see larger
By how much you leave to melt. The more you leave to melt the larger the dot, and naturally the reverse for a smaller dot. It seems at least for my eyes on the indoor range I need a larger dot, than I need outdoors.:D
It's just very hard for me to shoot groups with irons in the poor lighting conditions of my local indoor range. That's where the Romeo1 comes in handy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
5-6" at 10yd low seems like a lot.

You mention "boosting the elevation" without change. A taller rear sight is going to push your shots lower. Lowering the rear sight will pull the line of aim more parallel with the barrel. Might sound silly but try adjusting the rear sight the other way?

·
Registered
425 Posts
5-6" at 10yd low seems like a lot.

You mention "boosting the elevation" without change. A taller rear sight is going to push your shots lower. Lowering the rear sight will pull the line of aim more parallel with the barrel. Might sound silly but try adjusting the rear sight the other way?
Good point. Covering the basics is always a good idea.
The rule is to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. In this case you want to ensure you are moving it further up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good point. Covering the basics is always a good idea.
The rule is to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. In this case you want to ensure you are moving it further up.
Never mind... once I got the sleep out of my eyes, I realized I was completely wrong. A taller rear sight will bring up the POI. I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, DPeter85 - I'm chuckling, 10 mins after posting this last night I got called into work, straggled in this morning, saw your comment and sat there scratching my head in *my* sleep-deprived state :D . But yes, by "boost" I meant bringing the rear sights up.

OK, I completely accept that it's probably me, and Jim - I can hear my late father, a very rough-edged Texan saying exactly that when trying to get his right-handed left eyed daughter to shoot a rifle (eventually with my left hand).

I just really wanted to make sure that this wasn't something that others had noticed, so I feel better - now time to fix my technique. Thanks for the video link, Alma - that looks like a great drill. I am willing to bet that my technique started to break down towards the end of the day, will do some dry firing and next weekend the p320 X5 and I can get reacquainted . Sure hope Sig makes the Romeo 1's available alone, I think it's time for me to try an optic.

Just finished making a nice set of reloads for the new pistol, finally going to try VV N320 and WSF. Will be something to look forward to when I get it dialed in.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance, the P320 X5 is my first full size polymer pistol, was excited to get one!

JT

·
Registered
747 Posts
Glad to hear it seems you figured out what was going on! I have to say the more I shoot my X-5 the more impressed I become with it. As I said mine is just a range toy as I don't shoot competition. Therefore I usually take my time between shots as you can blow through a box of 9mm in no time! However the last range trip I made I did some rapid fire and was really impressed at how quickly and easily the sights came back on target. The milled slide, bull barrel and weight in the backstrap area make for a very well balanced pistol. This is why I am really surprised as the few comments I have run across in which people claim they feel little different than a full size P320 and aren't really worth the extra $$. To each his own I guess!

I am sure you will love the X-5 once you get it dialed in.

·
Registered
758 Posts

Thanks in advance,

JT
Make sure you shoot from a rested position. A pistol rest is a nice investment, you can get one for less than $30, if you play around with different guns and sights, or ever get into optics, it's well worth it.

If no pistol rest use the bench and take your time. I have thrown my large range bag on top of the bench and used it also. The idea is to keep the pistol very steady while you squeeze the trigger slowly. It helps take the user error out. In my case it has always ended up being user error, but confirming it is always helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So what's it look like ? All this talk and no pics? :D

Thanks in advance,

JT

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance,

JT
Need to adjust mine also
Found this site which it may fit, not sure.
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sig-p320-x5-rear-adjustable-sight-service-kit/

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance,

JT
Need to adjust mine also
Found this site which it may fit, not sure.
https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sig-p320-x5-rear-adjustable-sight-service-kit/

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Make sure you shoot from a rested position. A pistol rest is a nice investment, you can get one for less than $30, if you play around with different guns and sights, or ever get into optics, it's well worth it.

If no pistol rest use the bench and take your time. I have thrown my large range bag on top of the bench and used it also. The idea is to keep the pistol very steady while you squeeze the trigger slowly. It helps take the user error out. In my case it has always ended up being user error, but confirming it is always helpful.
This ^^^. If one doesn't shoot from sandbags on a bench for troubleshooting purposes, one can't rule out shooter error, but the OP did admit that he might be causing the low hits, so he's likely to resolve it quickly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yah, I'd just point out that the configuration of the front sight SIG selected and the rear sight was not really optimized for iron sights. I noted this in my early posts in 2018 when I was alarmed at how high the rear sight had to be to get dialed in at 25 yards. And my opinion was that front sight height was actually intended to support co-witnessing with an dot sight. When I replaced the front with a shorter sight, it allowed the rear sight to be set to a more reasonable height with an actual range of movement that didn't threaten having your rear sight fly off because of a lack of spring/screw tension.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yah, I'd just point out that the configuration of the front sight SIG selected and the rear sight was not really optimized for iron sights. I noted this in my early posts in 2018 when I was alarmed at how high the rear sight had to be to get dialed in at 25 yards. And my opinion was that front sight height was actually intended to support co-witnessing with an dot sight. When I replaced the front with a shorter sight, it allowed the rear sight to be set to a more reasonable height with an actual range of movement that didn't threaten having your rear sight fly off because of a lack of spring/screw tension.
Which height sight did you use? I don't have any real issues with my x5 but the rear sight is cranked up pretty high. It would be nice to have it sit flush and have the gun shoot accurately.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Which height sight did you use? I don't have any real issues with my x5 but the rear sight is cranked up pretty high. It would be nice to have it sit flush and have the gun shoot accurately.
The original front sight was 0.250. I replaced it with one that was 0.175, and wider (don't recall the numbers). The good thing, it brought the rear sight well down for a more natural POA, and made the rear sight less susceptible to snags, grabs, and other things that cause total failure (like the screw and spring flying out due to insufficient engagement).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.