SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new--- P229 Legion-- My first SIG
100 rounds through the day I bought it, no problems,,

yesterday took self-defense rounds out and put FMJ in for range time.. as things go, I never made it to range... this morning I removed FMJ from mags and put the same SD rounds back in the mags.. 15 in each 15 round mag. and the 15th round was very hard to put in.

with 15 rounds and mag in gun ( I have to really tap it to get mag to stay locked in), the slide will not rack to put 1 in the chamber... Drop mag and remove a round, it works.. ( no place to TEST FIRE)

any ideas? both mags and I loaded and emptied them 4 times each... issue persists. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the nice purchase.

I'm a newbie with pistols, but I've heard some magazines are very difficult to put the last round in, this seems to be the case with the standard stock mags, but the ones made in Italy reportedly are fine.

FYI I've got a P229 nitron compact, and can't load the last round in my mags.
Bruce

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sig has told me to load and empty the mags a bunch.. and try and shoot a few hundred more rounds.. and if it persists they will replace mags under warranty... but thinking they will be the same mags... right??

·
Registered
932 Posts
Listen to Sig. Load and unload the magazines a bunch. That will loosen them up the fastest. Sig knows what they are talking about.

Reactions: Truckie

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you were able to put 15 in before but not now, Then 1 of 2 things happened.
1. The spring is not seated in the bottom of the follower.
2. One or two of the cartridges being loaded near the bottom are too long (COL out of spec)

I would remove the base plate and confirm the spring didn't jump the follower. If not, confirm all the cartridges you loaded are the same length. The last round is always harder to load, but you should have enough travel left in the mag to almost load another (16th) round. Or... its a 14 round Mag

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mag is listed on the side with 15 numbered holes

owned it about a month now and has been loaded full the whole time with 1 in chamber.. so it racked before

there is definitely not room after I fight 15 in, to almost add a 16th...

·
Registered
552 Posts
mag is listed on the side with 15 numbered holes

owned it about a month now and has been loaded full the whole time with 1 in chamber.. so it racked before

there is definitely not room after I fight 15 in, to almost add a 16th...
Yeah, that's not right. When fully loaded, you should be able to push down on the top cartridge and still have a small amount of spring travel (about half the width of another cartridge) , even when mags are brand spanking new.

Slide the base plate off, remove the spring, make sure it sets in the follower correctly, reassemble and try again. Sounds like something is out of place. Maybe some piece of trash in the bottom of the mag or something in the way.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Congrats on your new P229!!

Yeah, this sounds like typical new mag stuff. Semi-auto pistols and rifles usual need a pretty stiff rap on a full mag's floorplate to load into a closed slide for pistols and bolt for ARs.

We usually avoid this by loading full mags on a slide that's locked back, then using a slingshot pull on the slide to change the weapon with a live round in the chamber.

Loading SIG double stack mags to their full capacity can ware out your thumb too. Must guys pick up a Maglula mag loader to make this task much easier, and faster too..

Edit: Oh, need to add a safety caution. Please don't practice loading your pistol with live ammo sitting in your living room! A loaded weapon is deadly and should be handled following the 4 basic safety rules at all times - No exceptions for loading drills...

Cheers

·
Registered
552 Posts
Congrats on your new P229!!

Yeah, this sounds like typical new mag stuff. Semi-auto pistols and rifles usual need a pretty stiff rap on a full mag's floorplate to load into a closed slide for pistols and bolt for ARs.

We usually avoid this by loading full mags on a slide that's locked back, then using a slingshot pull on the slide to change the weapon with a live round in the chamber.

Cheers
Hmm. I guess I've been lucky, I have never had this problem. Maybe the OP is exaggerating on the amount of force needed to load a full mag with the slide closed. It does take a solid hit, but it doesn't require a hammer.

Anyway, I seem to understand that it was not like this before, .....:confused:
Maybe I misunderstood his post?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I mean you rack the slide to put one in the chamber after you put a full mag in the gun... I go to rack it and rather than load the round in the chamber it goes about 1/2" and jams... should be a pretty predictable sorta smooth back front operation

i don't hit it with a hammer.... but a really hard palm slam.... don't need to do this with my GLOCK 19's or my XD mod2 9mm

I had no problems doing any of this with FMJ fiocchi at the LGS right out of the box after wiping down the thick factory lube job

·
Registered
552 Posts
I mean you rack the slide to put one in the chamber after you put a full mag in the gun... I go to rack it and rather than load the round in the chamber it goes about 1/2" and jams... should be a pretty predictable sorta smooth back front operation
What brand/type SD ammo is this happening with?
Not going into battery with a full mag could just be a very tight slide to receiver fit and/or not properly lubricated. This and the tight mag can take away from the return to battery power of the recoil spring and not allowing it to fully strip a round from the mag and chamber.

I'm out of Ideas. Further diagnosis would require the pistol in hand. Just shoot it more with 14 rounds in the mag and try again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hornady critical duty in one mag all 15

the other has 2 speer gold dot , 3 critical defense, 10 critical duty just how the boxes broke out in all my weapons...

has all same in my 3 mags for the duty XD mod2

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
have Friday morning off,
will work mags and check springs... maybe shoot with 14 in mags to get some more rounds down range...

will also try field strip to add a smidge more lube, but think I am ok there, but maybe not as I am told this gun is tighter tolerances than my glocks or XD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.