SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 1000 rounds through my TacOps carry without a single FTF, FTE, stovepipe or any other nonsense.

Today, I attached a Sig SRD9 to the TacOps carry (you know the one with the threaded barrel that is supposed to HOST a silencer) and lo and behold with 50 rounds, the gun only cycled correctly once.

I would say I saw 80% FTE and about 20% stovepipes (I'm distinguishing the two conditions for sake of this discussion, using FTE as it didn't even cycle far back enough to stovepipe.

I was using Speer Lawman 9mm Luger 147 GR TMJ ammunition.

Any suggestions? Help me SigTalk, you're my only hope. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I called Sig today and when I spoke with their customer server rep, he seemed genuinely surprised and asked if he could call me back after speaking to the Silencers group.

He did ask me to try different ammo for shits and giggles and I'll try to get to the range to try out different gr and some +P

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is very interesting .... I had almost the exact same thing happen with my P320 and SilencerCo Hybrid. Sig blew me off because I'm using a 9mm barrel in a 40/357sig slide.

I'm not familiar with the SRD9 but I assume it has a piston in the pistol mount.

Have or can you use the suppressor on any other pistols?

As the suppressor warmed up, collected more gas, did the pistol run better? Note mine ran normal-ish once the suppressor warmed up and produced more back pressure.

Do you use grease on your P320?

Lifting the weight of the suppressor, even with the piston, does add friction. Make sure the rails, FCU tabs, round part of the barrel, top and sides of the breech (the flat parts where the caliber is stamped) and the inside of the slide where the barrel slides. More or less anything where someone slides. I even greased the notch on the barrel where the takedown pin is. I use LubraPlate because my father gave me some and it a little goes a LONG way. Any high temp grease will work. Wal-Mart even has some white high temp grease in the auto department. It works great and is super cheap.

Did you notice that your FCU was dirtier than usual after firing with the suppressor attached?

I've very very interested to see what Sig gets back to you with.

There is link to my thread.

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/179122-p320-9mm-threaded-barrel-silencerco-hybrid.html

I finally got to the range and got to use my SilencerCo Hybrid with my P320. First off I need to say .... OMG .... Its stupid quite :eek::eek:

I had some interesting results and what to share them and get some feed back.

My setup
P320 Compact 40sw
OEM Sig 9mm Threaded barrel
40/357sig mags and recoil spring
Speer Lawman 9mm 147gr
SilencerCo Hybrid with 13x1 LH piston

Results
The 9mm barrel works great with the 40/357sig slide, mag and recoil spring. Granted the recoil with the 147gr bullets seems very very soft. The spent round ejection also was very soft. The 40/357sig casings flew much further than the 9mm casings.

I then attached the Hybrid and the first 5 rounds didn't ejected. I had to manually cycle the slide. After the 5th, or so, round the P320 started to cycle better. By the end of the first mag, the gun was cycling the same as it was without the Hybrid attached.

Final thoughts
I have used several other Sig pistols with drop-in Sig factory 9mm barrels and the Hybrid. Those pistols have many more rounds on their 40/357sig recoil springs.

The biggest difference with the my P320 is that the 40/357sig recoil spring is still new. It has less than 500 40sw or 357sig rounds on it. My other pistols have many rounds on the 40/357sig recoil spring. I think the soft recoil and case ejection is due to the still new and stiff 40/357sig recoil spring. I think that more I use the recoil spring the better it will handle the 9mm round.

I think the issues with the Hybrid is a combo of the 40/357sig recoil spring and the less powerful 9mm 147gr round. Once the Hybrid warmed up (hot to the touch) the gun cycled fine. I'm assuming this is because the can built up its internal pressure.

Whats next
I'm planning to run more 357sig rounds through the compact setup to work in the recoil spring. I also may reach out to Sig customer service and see if they think purchasing a 9mm recoil spring would help.

Any other thoughts or insights???

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh .....

How do you like the suppressor sights. I have a set but am on the fence with installing them. My stock sights are dead on, but sighting through the suppressor sucks. LOL. How do you feel the accuracy is without the suppressor attached.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sig called back today

So Sig called back today and asked me to, in addition to trying different ammo, to also overlube the piston.

The second option they offered if the overlube doesn't clear it up is for me to send both the silencer and the host into Sig so that their silencer group could se the can and the host.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not familiar with the SRD9 but I assume it has a piston in the pistol mount.
Yes, it does.

Have or can you use the suppressor on any other pistols?
I would have two weeks ago, but no, right now I do not have another host.

As the suppressor warmed up, collected more gas, did the pistol run better?
No.

Do you use grease on your P320?
Indeed, I was worried that I overlubed. As mentioned above Sig asked me to really overlube the piston. They said that some are really tight from the factory and need to be broken in. The overlubing helps with that.

Did you notice that your FCU was dirtier than usual after firing with the suppressor attached?
Nothing noticeable, but I only shot 50 rounds through the can, so I'm not sure if that's enough blowback to really **** up the FCU.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Using +P ammo seems to defeat the purpose of the suppressor, but its a good test to see if the higher pressure helps.

Over lubing the piston is interesting.

I know its not the same brand, but when I got my SilencerCo Hybrid I was not to lube the piston to much if at all. Both the dealer and company said lube on the piston, spring and housing will only collect massive amounts of fouling.

Last week I dropped off my P320 9mm threaded barrel, 357sig FS barrel and piston to have the 357sig barrel threaded. I had about 5-700 rounds on the piston and almost all were on my SP2022. The piston wasn't bad and cleaned great with a good soaking in penetrating oil.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with a bit of help, we determined that the SRD9 silencer was not at issue. The TacOps is on it's way back to see to see if they can figure out why it can't host.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay after a few more email exchanges and me finally sending the pistol to Sig, I have it back (took them a total of 6 days including two weekend days, so very quick turnaround).

Here is what the gunsmith wrote on the ticket that came back with the gun:

Inspected pistol. 7/12/17
- Replaced barrel with new revision made for suppressor use
- Replaced extractor
- Replaced extractor spring pin
- Test fired 50 rounds Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ with no failures to feed, fire, extract or eject
- Meets factory specs

I am not surprised by anything on here EXCEPT the first line "replaced barrel with new revision made for suppressor use" - so what was in the gun prior to that?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Okay after a few more email exchanges and me finally sending the pistol to Sig, I have it back (took them a total of 6 days including two weekend days, so very quick turnaround).

Here is what the gunsmith wrote on the ticket that came back with the gun:

Inspected pistol. 7/12/17
- Replaced barrel with new revision made for suppressor use
- Replaced extractor
- Replaced extractor spring pin
- Test fired 50 rounds Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ with no failures to feed, fire, extract or eject
- Meets factory specs

I am not surprised by anything on here EXCEPT the first line "replaced barrel with new revision made for suppressor use" - so what was in the gun prior to that?
That barrel comment is odd. My only guess is that is how they classify a threaded barrel. It may be worth a call to Sig CS and asking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Sig P320 Tacops Supressed Experience

First off, my P320 Tacops 9mm fires every weight and velocity round I've tried very well if unsuppressed. When the can goes on this pistol (made for a suppressor) it turns into a turd. So off it went back to Sig to have it looked at along with a detailed explanation of ammunition and suppressors I had tried.

At Sig it was inspected, the barrel has replaced, and my P320 with a SRD-9 suppressor was test fired with 3 different loads . Only 1 of the 3 was subsonic and it was a 1000 fps 147gr. The new barrel didn't fix my issues. My P320 still wouldn't eject any 800-900 fps. / 147-165 gr. rounds.

Like others I don't want to shoot hyper-sonic or near hyper-sonic rounds, I wanted to shoot a quiet subsonic rounds. What I was looking to use was a round that runs about 800-900 fps., so I could use the same round in my carbines too without going hyper-sonic.

I believe the issue is the recoil spring and here's why. Sig uses the same recoil spring across all calibers of compact / carry size P320's.

I think the engineers did a good jog to design a recoil spring that would work with 9mm, 357 SIG, 40 S&W, and 45 Auto. Now the sales team says lets take a P320 and throw a threaded barrel and suppressor height sights on it and call it Tacops. Will it work with subsonic ammo? We don't know we're sales people not engineers, but we know we'll sell some.

Test ammo SubSonic 165 FMJ 850 FPS these rounds will only extract about 3/4 of the shells length.

Since I couldn't find any aftermarket solutions, so I started tinkering.

Problem: recoil spring assembly too strong = Solution: make recoil assembly less strong.

Disassembled spring assembly

The outer spring has a full flat coil on each end, so I didn't want to modify it.

The inner spring doesn't have a full flat coil on each end and it nested in the outer recoil spring guide, so I'll modify this spring.

The inner spring has about 27 coils. I started cutting 2-3 coils off and test fired after each cut. Ended up cutting the the spring down to 13-14 coils.

At this point the inner spring isn't doing much. With the reduced strength and length of of the inner spring the outer recoil spring guide is now floating about 3/16" above the bottom of the spring assembly and the test ammo is ejecting about 4" above the slide.

When I get more time I'll see how much resistance the inner spring is still contributing. If it's as little as I think I'll completely remove the inner spring and make an end to end guide for the outer spring.

WARNING: I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE MODIFY THEIR FIREARM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My P320 TACOPS and Sig Sauer SDR9 did not work well together

I googled "problems with Sig Sauer P320 with SDR9 Suppressor" and landed on this thread. Though the thread is from 2017, I am still going to reply.

I have the same set up, in fact your pics of your P320 with and with out SDR9 attached looks like mine exactly. I waited 10 months to get the SDR9 and in the mean time I also purchased an FN 509 Tactical with Suppressor height sights and threaded barrel. I took them both to the range and started with the Sig. I fired 1 round and it fired and sounded great. Then noticed the trigger would not pull again.

Dropped the mag, tried the clear the gun and I could not rack the slide. Call the range officer over, he yanked the spent shell clear and I reloaed and fired again. Same exact response. No spent shell ejection and not reloaded. I put on some gloves and racked it manually and shot and racked and shot and racked and shot and determined the subsonic 147 gr JHP I was fireing would not work. I swithched to subsonic 147 gr FMJ and still the gun would not properly cycle. I put in a mag of 115 gr FMJ rounds and I still could not get it to cycle right.

Then I changed the piston in the SDR9 and used the same subsonic 147 gr JHP rounds in my FN509 Tactical and emptied the entire mag without a hitch. I tried every combination of 9 mm round I had and even borrowed some from a friend and the FN worked perfectly with the SDR9. I ended upi putting 150 rounds down range and not a single problem with the FN 509 Tactical and SDR9 combo. I wish the P320 TACOPS had performed as well.

I was not happy. I called my gun shop and talked to my suppressor guy and he is going to call Sig Sauer on Monday, but we already know it is the spring among other internal components. I also kind of feel like the barrel is not long enough by at least 5 - 10 mm. I have a Silencerco Hybrid and the clearance is so tight on the P320 I didn't even try it, but I will on Monday as well as trying some other ammo.

In the end, the P320 TAACOPS is going to have to go back to Sig Sauer and they are going to have to test and run it themselves. They will overhaul it and I expect it will perform better, based on "some" of the replies I have read already.

Thanks for this post.

Atro

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ah join the club. None of my suppressors will run on a P320 Factory Sig threaded barrel. Bought the one for my P320 Carry from Osage. Read all the related threads. Called SIG last fall and was informed that they made a change to the barrel but didn't have any replacements yet. I'm still waiting - only disappointing thing about my P320s.

Haven't tried the recoil spring fix yet, but may need to get a spare and try it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a Sig 9mm compact threaded barrel and a Sig full size 357sig barrel I had threaded. The compact threaded barrels are just full size with threading. Both run great in my p320. I have a 40/357sig slide and just drop in the 9mm barrel. I have a SilencerCo Hybrid and it runs without issue. I use 147gr 9mm Speer Lawman. Once and a while I'll get a FTE in 9mm, but I blame that on using a 40/357sig recoil spring with 9mm. I also keep my slide and barrel greased.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Lemons happen, let's hope SIG makes lemonade out of it which they are known to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with the SRD9 using the P320 tacops as a host. It would not cycle a single round. Failure to eject. I changd the piston and put the fix barrel spacer on, put the suppressor on my stribog and it worked perfectly. Hopefully Sig can figure this out for me. I bought the suppressor for my PCC but really expect it to work on everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.