SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probably a too-often asked question, BUT...

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  MYMOMSSON 
#1 ·
Hello, All!
Chuck in Norman, OK here. While I've normally been a Ruger kinda guy, when my dad (2nd-gen military, I joined the AF after he retired) passed, I took the opportunity to take a step up and buy two guns I wanted at once --- namely, a Sig 1911 Clll. The only handgun I've EVER loved more than this one is the old Browning Hi-Power...and I still don't have one of THOSE yet! But I digress...

I went apes*it dolling it up, and being a newb to the 1911, "I think I broke somethin'". I installed a Recover grip/rail assembly (as I've always that a rail was all the 1911 really needed. (It ROCKS, btw, and fits beautifully!) I then added a "Punisher" style compensator in place of the original frontplate.

THEN we had to move suddenly, and I can't find the box with the original parts. Why does this matter? Because I'm thinking that the compensator, while installed for the right reason (to offset the front weight bias some), is somehow interfering with the ability to chamber a round. I've checked & changed springs, floorplates, checked the mag geometry, ensured that the rounds face upward in feeding, & tried all manner of ammo, from ball to SJHP to plain snap caps, with no joy. This happens with the single Sig mag, mec-gar, Pro Mag and an unknown brand mag. All of them!

Looking into the chamber, the round simply doesn't strip into the feed ramp, no matter how vigorously I rack the slide. OK, except ONCE--I racked the slide hard enough my hand flew off the slide, and a round FLEW OUT of the port. Trouble IS, so did the slide retention pin! Without being able to return the slide immediately to stock configuration, I cannot check that the compensator isn't somehow causing the condition.

Am I chasing the right gremlin here, or what? I appreciate all the help y'all can provide, & thanks in advance!

Chuck ("KC")

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I appreciate y'alls kindness, & I thank you! In addition to the above questions, I have another: In looking for a second 1911, I'm wanting to add another to the stable, perhaps as a daily-carry piece in place of the Ruger P97DC I'm using now, or as the home-defense piece instead of the Sig, which would then be my EDC piece.

I'd like it to be a lower-budget piece, perhaps a scary black piece instead of beautiful brushed aluminum. I'm looking between the Ruger (I still love 'em!), Rock Island Arms and Springfield Armory in the $400-$600 max range. Y'know, the best bang for the buck, in a literal sense.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!

KC

#8 ·
CMK59 Man did you mess up nice pistol . Contact sig about buying new parts to try to have your fixed yours thru a ok city gunsmith with 1911 skills or bite the bullet and send it home to sig to be fixed but take that grip rail thing off it and return to stock grips .

Metro arms and rock island have black oxide finish 1911 in your price range but leave the "dolling it up " to toy guns in the future . Learn to use a flash light in your weak hand .

You might want to take a armors class before screwing with another 1911 . For the life of me I can't figure out how you could loose a slide lock by racking a slide that literally is held in place by spring tension but I guess stranger that's happen .

Remember your handgun should be a tool so keep it simple . Be prepared for the worse when you try to get this pistol return to stock condition .

#11 ·
Where'd the troll come from?

Seriously, when I was a kid, I LOVED riding myYamaha 750 through the Smokies, and I NEVER met a mean soul once. As I was stationed in South Carolina at the time, I did that quite a bit.

You, Hardluck, must have moved there from Washington D.C. New people should NEVER be treated as rudely and childishly as that in these forums, and nothing I described was worth THAT kind of vitriol. Not at all. I served too long to put up with that, & no one else here should, either.

For your edification (look it up, they're called 'dictionaries'), my left, or "weak" arm is JUST THAT, and all but as useless as your sputum. It's been like that since 1991, and I don't need to justify or explain any further. The rail assembly/handgrip is MUCH more useful & comfortable than the INCLUDED Crimson Trace grips. Get that? THIS model Sig CAME with laser grips...look THAT up, too. The laser was useless due to the way my "good" hand fits the weapon, so changes had to be made.

I will cop to a bit of vanity with the comp, but it can be easily removed - so far, only YOU and a failure to feed are issues. I could be wrong, but from the way you speak, I'm thinking you might be a kid who's not even served, & that would be sad - either way, you're criticizing without cause or prompt.

Why not just crawl on back to wherever y'all come from & stay quiet till you know the FACTS. New people should be treated with the courtesy and respect everyone deserves, till they prove otherwise. Everyone but you have been just that..good & respectful.

#12 ·
Seriously, when I was a kid, I LOVED riding myYamaha 750 through the Smokies, and I NEVER met a mean soul once. As I was stationed in South Carolina at the time, I did that quite a bit.

You, Hardluck, must have moved there from Washington D.C. New people should NEVER be treated as rudely and childishly as that in these forums, and nothing I described was worth THAT kind of vitriol. Not at all. I served too long to put up with that, & no one else here should, either.

For your edification (look it up, they're called 'dictionaries'), my left, or "weak" arm is JUST THAT, and all but as useless as your sputum. It's been like that since 1991, and I don't need to justify or explain any further. The rail assembly/handgrip is MUCH more useful & comfortable than the INCLUDED Crimson Trace grips. Get that? THIS model Sig CAME with laser grips...look THAT up, too. The laser was useless due to the way my "good" hand fits the weapon, so changes had to be made.

I will cop to a bit of vanity with the comp, but it can be easily removed - so far, only YOU and a failure to feed are issues. I could be wrong, but from the way you speak, I'm thinking you might be a kid who's not even served, & that would be sad - either way, you're criticizing without cause or prompt.

Why not just crawl on back to wherever y'all come from & stay quiet till you know the FACTS. New people should be treated with the courtesy and respect everyone deserves, till they prove otherwise. Everyone but you have been just that..good & respectful.
Welcome to the forum. Little piece of advise... Lighten up. Aside from calling you out about messing up a gun (which you did) he said nothing that wasn't constructive advice.

#15 ·
Hey guys , mk59 can't help him self . Maybe he can find a fix on line else were but more than likely a local gun smith skilled in 1911's or sig can fix it for him .

cmk59 I learned to common sense my way thru problems back in the '60s in rural south florida by the way . Sorry your feeling were sooo butthurt that you had to reply as you did do to your 1911 issues . Good luck getting it fixed .

#16 ·
I was new to forums at one time and I didn't have the experience of what to say and how to say it, yet someone on the GREEN Site stood up and embarrassed me, the OP was looking for some guidance and he knew he'd messed up, said so. There are guidelines covering these issues, I still on occasion post comments I later know could have been worded more appropriately so I have experience relating to what could have been communicated better. Below is Forum Rule #1, it doesn't need to be debated, if you don't have anything nice to say be careful what you do say, if not for one response the OP wouldn't have had the response he later posted.

1) Respect other members. Do not flame, badger, disrespect or taunt anyone on the forum. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close it or delete it. A healthy debate is welcomed and encouraged. Personal attacks and name calling serve no purpose on this forum. Please be respectful to your fellow shooting enthusiasts whether they are new shooters or seasoned veterans (we were all new once).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.