SIG Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I love my new p320 c9 and plan on it being my edc and go to gun. That being said I have a theory as to why the "perfect" carry pistol is so illusive. My PP Pistol Theory: each year the pistol manufacturers get together to boast on their latest version. For the good of the industry they have a gentleman's agreement not to build a perfect model, lest everyone flock to it. Thus each company gets a degree of veto power. When Sig unveiled the 320 c, H&K, Walther, Springfield Armory, and Ruger said "Ditch the ambi mag release!" Then Glock and Kahr insisted "Shave a tenth of an inch off that barrel so it's not optimal minimum length for+p ammo!" Thoughts? Other pet peeves?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
nah. ever been in a committee. even a church committee where folks are supposed to like each other and try to get along. can't even decide what color carpet to put down...let alone how to control a free enterprise market. and keep it "secret" that they did it.
nope. not buying it.

Reactions: chrometip78

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I don't think, in any way, that there are orchestrated collaborations between manufacturers. I do believe, though, that they- and I'm speaking broader than gun manufacturers- pay close attention to what is marketed by their competition. Automobiles come to mind. You almost never see one manufacturer come out with something that is leaps and bounds better or different than anyone else, other than niche stuff (like the Ford Raptor). Hp increases, new transmissions, towing capacity, etc. It seems that they best each other, but only by small margins, and I suspect that this is out of personal interest. They are looking at the long haul, and there is a whole lot more money to be made with small, incremental improvements, than by leaps. There could be parallels in the gun industry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Granted friends. just having a little fun. Ever notice that - regardless of what constitutes your "perfect" pistol - it always seems to come down to two or three models where, if you could, you'd take just 1 or 2 features off x and y to put on z and you'd have it!

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Golf clubs fall into this type of marketing, also.

Ever notice that every year a new "magic driver" is released to allow you to hit the ball farther then ever before, like the Pros!

Now the new $450 driver you bought last year is now considered "out dated" .

Can there be that much exploding technology, that a better driver can be invented every single year? Same goes for golf balls. Every year they "improve" last years models.

Practice and play OFTEN is the best way to improve your game.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah really, I'm not a golfer but I 've seen the adds/displays. Computers and electronic gizmos kind of in the same boat. Either there isn't. really consistently all that much ground breaking innovation or they are way ahead of the consumer and are just time releasing products to keep the cash flow going steady (like I think is the case in the computer realm).

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Consider how long firearms have been around, compared to other complex items in your daily life. The big gains in firearms technology happened over a hundred years ago! There truly aren't that many other technological items one can say that about.

This is not to say there haven't been lots of important advances in the last hundred years, there have certainly been some, but they've been more incremental than earth shaking.

I agree with bearone2, those features that are important to one, are for the next person not that appealing or so important. For the manufacturers, it's about making a living, turning a profit, and addressing as broad a part of the a market that is very broad indeed, both in price point and product quality and features.

If a manufacturer could come up with a pistol that was so much better than anything else on the market, you can bet they would patent it and enjoy the market exclusivity for 18 years. Not saying it's not out there waiting to be discovered, but it would need to be a whole nuther direction in weapon's technology and at a price point that is reasonable. Then the BATFE would say its an NFA weapon and each round requires a tax stamp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There will never be "A Perfect Gun" for all. As long as people come in different shapes and sizes. We would all have to be clones for that to happen.
There will however, be a "A Perfect Gun" for You.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bumper, are you a pilot? Saw your post picture, just curious. Used to live.right on a small airport runway in Harrison, Ohio (greater Cincinnati). Miss watching the Cessna come and go.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is no perfect gun. That's why I have so many. It's always an excuse to buy another! (LOL)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Granted friends. just having a little fun. Ever notice that - regardless of what constitutes your "perfect" pistol - it always seems to come down to two or three models where, if you could, you'd take just 1 or 2 features off x and y to put on z and you'd have it!
How true - I've envisioned my "perfect" Sig many times, too bad they just don't make it the way I want! :notfair:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.