1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Good article. Essentially "everything you ever wanted to know about crimping but were afraid to ask" or possibly "crimping for dummies."

Too bad he didn't include a description of how the Lee Factory Crimp Die works because there's a lot of misunderstanding about it out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The LEE factory crimp dies are a little different between rifle or pistol.

The rifle version works with a collet of sorts, which closes when the shell plate contacts the die, squeezing the case into the bullet.

The pistol version uses an internal ring that surrounds the case and gives a smooth, continuous crimp. It is designed to resize the case all the way to the web.

It really is a terrific tool.

·
Premium Member
39,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The LEE factory crimp dies are a little different between rifle or pistol.

The rifle version works with a collet of sorts, which closes when the shell plate contacts the die, squeezing the case into the bullet.

The pistol version uses an internal ring that surrounds the case and gives a smooth, continuous crimp. It is designed to resize the case all the way to the web.

It really is a terrific tool.
Thanks I knew it did, but did not know the why.
I use the Lee factory as a bulge buster.
All 40, some 45, and a little 9mm.
I did learn to do 9mm lugar, a Makerov 9mm factory must be used.

I don't know why, but I ruined a 9mm factory finding out.
I know there is a mm difference, but why won't a lugar factory work on a lugar brass ?

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Thanks I knew it did, but did not know the why.
I use the Lee factory as a bulge buster.
All 40, some 45, and a little 9mm.
I did learn to do 9mm lugar, a Makerov 9mm factory must be used.

I don't know why, but I ruined a 9mm factory finding out.
I know there is a mm difference, but why won't a lugar factory work on a lugar brass ?
I'm not at all sure what you're saying here. Are you saying you have to use a 9MM Makarov FCD on 9mm Parabellum ammunition?

·
Premium Member
39,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm not at all sure what you're saying here. Are you saying you have to use a 9MM Makarov FCD on 9mm Parabellum ammunition?
For bulge busting
Yes
A Lee dealer told me it is the only way. Works very well.

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Okay, for bulge busting only, he was right. For regular crimping, no.

The reason for this is that the 9MM Parabellum, luger, whatever, has a 0.394" rim and a base size of 0.391", so it has a slight overhanging rim.

The 9MM Makarov has a 0.392" rim and base, and that's why it works as a bulge buster for the Parabellum. It's only 0.001" larger than the Parabellum, so it'll take out the bulge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.